Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats your favorite color?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.24.2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooky Cat wrote:
I've seen your car. I've seen you driving your car (you rudely cut somebody off cruising around the round-a-bout).

It's impossible to cut somebody off while rounding the round-about, because once you are inside the curve, you always have the right of way. And you are allowed to enter the curve as soon as you see an opening of any kind. Sometimes cars that are waiting at one of the yield signs assume they have the right-of-way, as if the corners work like traditional stop signs. What also drives me nuts is how so many cars actually STOP at the entry points, even if no other cars are inside the round-about! Perhaps because the entire round-about concept is new to West Bend, that accounts for why so many drivers are baffled about how it works.

And that driver couldn't have been me, since my car is indeed plaid. Thin stripes interrupted by wide stripes.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.24.2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
It's impossible to cut somebody off while rounding the round-about, because once you are inside the curve, you always have the right of way.

We have one round-about in the whole city, and that's going into Legoland. I don't have to worry. I wonder if they actually make you take that portion of the driver's test here.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stefanieduckwitz
Director

PostPosted: 03.25.2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, from colors to multicolored (<-- My word!) cars... Hm, and Mr. Beltmann I would like to see your car:)
Tooky Cat
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 03.25.2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

betmann wrote:
It's impossible to cut somebody off while rounding the round-about, because once you are inside the curve, you always have the right of way. And you are allowed to enter the curve as soon as you see an opening of any kind.

This is entirely true, but what about when there's a whole slew of cars coming from one direction? They just keep coming in and going around and about, and they leave no possible entry points for the cars at the other points of the intersection. Ironically, when this happens it defeats the entire purpose of building the blasted thing, which was to ease traffic at that intersection.

My personal favorite is when everybody is rushing towards it after school and then everybody slams on their brakes on G because they almost run into the person in front of them. (You can't see very well over that hill you know, when traffic conditions are bad anyways.)
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.25.2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooky Cat wrote:
This is entirely true, but what about when there's a whole slew of cars coming from one direction? They just keep coming in and going around and about, and they leave no possible entry points for the cars at the other points of the intersection. Ironically, when this happens it defeats the entire purpose of building the blasted thing, which was to ease traffic at that intersection.

If the curving car is exiting where you are entering, there's always an opening. You just have to be quick in your decision-making. I'll add, though, that the city built a round-about that is too small around, which partially accounts for the difficulty you're describing.

Tooky Cat wrote:
My personal favorite is when everybody is rushing towards it after school and then everybody slams on their brakes on G because they almost run into the person in front of them. (You can't see very well over that hill you know, when traffic conditions are bad anyways.)

I've avoided the after-school logjam because I rarely leave school until 2-4 hours after school officially ends. But jams around the school have been part of WBHS life since at least the late '80s. Embrace it! (Actually, the parking lot is infinitely more navigable now than ten years ago.)

[For those that don't know, West Bend, WI, has two high schools in the same building. I teach at East High School, but if I walk the main hall far enough, suddenly without warning, I'll be standing in West High School. In some classes, I will teach East and West students simultaneously. It's quite a singular, massive, well-populated machine we're running. It's also one of the largest high schools in the state.]

Eric
stefanieduckwitz
Director

PostPosted: 03.25.2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty pointless if you ask me, considering they could have placed one highschool on the east side of town, and one on the west side of town, and it would have been much easier.... considering it takes me fricken 15 minutes to get there! ARG, tis a pain.
Tooky Cat
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 03.25.2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would have been pretty ridiculous to have two school of only 1400 students on opposite ends of town. This way all my friends are in one building. All the sports competition is in one place. All the school events are in one place. All of the parking is in one place. All of city's alotted school money is in one place.

betlmann wrote:
I'll add, though, that the city built a round-about that is too small around

Good point. Much too small. I remember the roundabouts from um...wherever I was, and I thought it'd be more like that (huge), not this puny thing.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2