Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screening Log 2005 - What did you watch this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jim Harper
Director


Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Posts: 226
Location: Totnes, Devon, UK

PostPosted: 02.03.2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
Seance on a Wet Afternoon (Forbes, 1964) [b]A


I haven't yet seen this version, but I'm eager to, having greatly enjoyed Kiyoshi Kurosawa's version of the same novel.

I must apologise for bringing this man's name up in every thread. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 02.03.2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Harper wrote:
I must apologise for bringing this man's name up in every thread. Very Happy


If I can pump up Panahi and the Dardennes (not to mention Wilco) in every other thread, you can sell Kiyoshi Kurosawa. Smile

Eric
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec


Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Posts: 1373
Location: Dark, run-down shack by the graveyard.

PostPosted: 02.03.2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Harper wrote:
matt header wrote:
S?ance on a Wet Afternoon (Forbes, 1964) [b]A


I haven't yet seen this version, but I'm eager to, having greatly enjoyed Kiyoshi Kurosawa's version of the same novel.

I must apologise for bringing this man's name up in every thread. Very Happy


I enjoyed Kourei, but as I understand it (SPOILER?) the medium in Wet Afternoon (both the book and movie, neither of which I?ve experienced) is a deliberate charlatan, while the one in Kurosawa's film is genuine. I not sure the change suits the plot; at the very least it makes for awkward fit.

Oh, and Kiyoshi Kurosawa can never be an over-statement. Very Happy
_________________
"If you're talking about censorship, and what things should be shown and what things shouldn't be shown, I've said that as an artist you have no social responsibility whatsoever."

-David Cronenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 02.06.2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/31 ? 2/6/05

The Chronicles of Riddick (Twohy, USA 2004)

The Pink Panther (Edwards, USA 1964)

Sweet Sweetback's Baad Asssss Song (Van Peebles, USA 1971)

3 Godfathers (Ford, USA 1948)

Sexual Dependency (Bellott, Bolivia 2003)

plus a bunch of shorts:

Olympic Events (McCarey, USA 1932)

Opening Day (Rowland, USA 1938)

The Greener Hills (Lee, USA 1939)

The Screen Director (None credited, USA 1951)

The Two Barks Brothers (Myers and White, USA 1931)

Pitcairn Island Today (Roth, USA 1935)

Important Business (Jason, USA 1944)

The Divine Woman [fragment only] (Sjostrom, USA 1928)

Sexual Dependency employs a fascinating split screen technique that constantly questions how we emphasize details in narrative fiction, but ultimately it has nothing insightful to say about teenagers and their sexual awakenings/confusion/identity. I most enjoyed Ford?s 3 Godfathers, an unconventional desert Western that is about the importance of water at least as much as John Wayne playing a hapless caregiver. It seamlessly shifts between tones, and includes a sincere view of death that tempers some of the more aw-shucks Western action.

Eric
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec


Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Posts: 1373
Location: Dark, run-down shack by the graveyard.

PostPosted: 02.06.2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/31/05-2/6/05

Got my Twilight Zone ?85-?86 box set, and?ve been watching the hell out of that this week instead of movies. I?ll do my damnedest to try and see Million Dollar Baby next week, not only because I want to see it, but because I want to read about the ?controversy.? However, I did get a chance to finally see:

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (W. Anderson, 2004) - Life Aquatic?s detractors find its tone too ironic, detached, or just weird or weird? sake, but I laughed an awful lot. More importantly, the movie delivers a snap of poignancy when you least expect it; I didn?t realize how much I actually cared for these people until the movie sucker-punched me. I found truth in Steve?s melancholy sort of satisfaction at the end; he may not be any happier about his life or where he?s ended up in it, but he finally finds himself in a position to look back on it and appreciate the chance he?s had to live it. Regarding life skewways like this brings down our barriers and expectations, and allows us discern an aspect of the human condition we might have otherwise overlooked. In an odd way, this makes for a good companion piece to About Schmidt. I think this is my favorite Wes Anderson picture so far, though I haven?t watched Rushmore in too many years.
_________________
"If you're talking about censorship, and what things should be shown and what things shouldn't be shown, I've said that as an artist you have no social responsibility whatsoever."

-David Cronenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 832
Location: Pearland, TX

PostPosted: 02.06.2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
Life Aquatic?s detractors find its tone too ironic, detached, or just weird or weird? sake, but I laughed an awful lot. More importantly, the movie delivers a snap of poignancy when you least expect it; I didn?t realize how much I actually cared for these people until the movie sucker-punched me. I found truth in Steve?s melancholy sort of satisfaction at the end; he may not be any happier about his life or where he?s ended up in it, but he finally finds himself in a position to look back on it and appreciate the chance he?s had to live it. Regarding life skewways like this brings down our barriers and expectations, and allows us discern an aspect of the human condition we might have otherwise overlooked.


Eloquently said. I saw The Life Aquatic recently and feel the same way.
_________________
Michael Scrutchin
Flipside Movie Emporium
www.flipsidearchive.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 02.06.2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
the night watchman wrote:
Life Aquatic?s detractors find its tone too ironic, detached, or just weird or weird? sake, but I laughed an awful lot. More importantly, the movie delivers a snap of poignancy when you least expect it; I didn?t realize how much I actually cared for these people until the movie sucker-punched me. I found truth in Steve?s melancholy sort of satisfaction at the end; he may not be any happier about his life or where he?s ended up in it, but he finally finds himself in a position to look back on it and appreciate the chance he?s had to live it. Regarding life skewways like this brings down our barriers and expectations, and allows us discern an aspect of the human condition we might have otherwise overlooked.


Eloquently said. I saw The Life Aquatic recently and feel the same way.


I'll second that. My only difference is that I prefer Rushmore.
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mfritschel
Cinematographer


Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Posts: 143
Location: Port Washington, WI

PostPosted: 02.08.2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray (Hackford, 2004)

Finding Neverland (Forester, 2004)

The Twiligh Samurai (Yamada, 2004)

Out of these three Ray was by far the best and my favorite, while I cannot quite agree with Mr. Header but out of all the films nominated for best picture Finding Neverland is by far the weakest. Although it was a well put together movie and at time emotional and enjoyable, overall it was a bit flat and predictable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jim Harper
Director


Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Posts: 226
Location: Totnes, Devon, UK

PostPosted: 02.08.2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's viewing:

Tomie: Replay (dir. Tomijiro Mitsuishi, 2000)

Kakashi (dir. Norio Tsuruta, 2001)

Tomie the Final Chapter: Forbidden Fruit (dir. Shun Nakahara, 2002)

S?ance (dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2000)

The Seventh Victim (dir. Mark Robson, 1943)*

A Snake of June (dir. Shinya Tsukamoto, 2002)*

Living Hell (dir. Shugo Fujii, 2000)

Doppelganger (dir. Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2003)*

Aragami (dir. Ryuhei Kitamura, 2003)*

Not a great week of viewing. Tomie: Replay is still the best of the series and pretty entertaining. A Snake of June, Doppelganger and Aragami were all worthy of respect, but not necessarily enjoyable. Aragami shows Kitamura trying to move beyond the Versus model, but it's not as good as 2LDK, it's partner project. Doppelganger is a decent enough effort, but I'm not sure Kurosawa is particularly well suited to comedy. Interesting film, but I'm unlikely to watch it again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 02.08.2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfritschel wrote:
But out of all the films nominated for best picture Finding Neverland is by far the weakest.


I'd vote for Ray as the crop's weakest. I enjoyed the movie, but if you put Foxx's performance aside, it's really just a conventional biopic. I appreciated the honesty--it's not merely hagiography--but its heroin thread felt very formulaic to me. Its nomination tells us a great deal about what kinds of stories the Academy prefers--namely, the ones they already know.
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: 02.08.2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were my feelings exactly. However, it's hard to seperate Foxx's work from the movie as a whole. As cliched as I thought it was, I couldn't help but often get into the music and his work.
_________________
Danny Baldwin

View My Reviews
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkeypox
Cinematographer


Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Posts: 156
Location: TX

PostPosted: 02.09.2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:


I'd vote for Ray as the crop's weakest. I enjoyed the movie, but if you put Foxx's performance aside, it's really just a conventional biopic. I appreciated the honesty--it's not merely hagiography--but its heroin thread felt very formulaic to me. Its nomination tells us a great deal about what kinds of stories the Academy prefers--namely, the ones they already know.


indeed.
_________________
Rattlesnake's Texas Cobra, you sonofabitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 832
Location: Pearland, TX

PostPosted: 02.09.2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feb. 1 to Feb. 7, 2005:



  • Mean Creek (Estes, 2004) B

  • Million Dollar Baby (Eastwood, 2004) A-

  • Ray (Hackford, 2004) B-

  • eXistenZ (Cronenberg, 1999) B+

  • The Masque of the Red Death (Corman, 1964) B



Million Dollar Baby has problems -- for one, the ridiculously stereotypical secondary characters, especially Maggie's family -- but it's such a beautifully crafted, overwhelmingly powerful film that it's great in spite of its flaws. Best movie of the year? Maybe. It's far better than Ray, a by-the-numbers biopic that's engaging mainly thanks to Jamie Foxx's performance and Charles' music -- otherwise, it might be an extended episode of VH1's Behind the Music.

eXistenZ is loads of fun. Probably my favorite Cronenberg film; I'm already dying to see it again.
_________________
Michael Scrutchin
Flipside Movie Emporium
www.flipsidearchive.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 02.09.2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
It's far better than Ray, a by-the-numbers biopic that's engaging mainly thanks to Jamie Foxx's performance and Charles' music -- otherwise, it might be an extended episode of VH1's Behind the Music.



Or an After-School Special.

While watching Million Dollar Baby, I cringed a little during some of the scenes involving Maggie's family, but in retrospect I don't think the film traffics in caricature--in fact, I've known people exactly like those characters, and there are elements in the film that hint at their humanity (example: when her mother says of the new house, "I know you didn't mean no harm..."). They aren't given full attention--do they deserve more attention?--but they are never just evil cartoons.
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: 02.09.2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Maggie's family is one of the strongest elements of Million Dollar Baby. Much of the reason why she is such a great protagonist is because of her ability to overcome her surroundings. There are many, many people just like her family.
_________________
Danny Baldwin

View My Reviews
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 7 of 46

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group