Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Best of 2006

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mark Dujsik
Director


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 212
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: 01.06.2007 8:09 am    Post subject: The Best of 2006 Reply with quote

This hasn't been posted yet, so I figured I'd come back and start the talk up.



10 Best Films of 2006
_________________
"Film lovers are sick people."

--Fran?ois Truffaut



10 Best Films of 2006



Mark Reviews Movies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: 01.06.2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's... Mark!



That's a relatively solid list, although I would choose hardly any of those choices myself. (That said, Letters from Iwo Jima and Pan's Labyrinth are both on my plate for next week when they reach San Diego.)



It seems as though the rest of us haven't even begun to think about our own top tens. Still slow around here these days.
_________________
Danny Baldwin

View My Reviews
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mark Dujsik
Director


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 212
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: 01.06.2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the earliest I've been able to put out my top 10, primarily because I got into the Chicago Film Critics Association in October and have had a boatload of screenings.



I do look forward to everyone else's, though.
_________________
"Film lovers are sick people."

--Fran?ois Truffaut



10 Best Films of 2006



Mark Reviews Movies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: 01.06.2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
This is the earliest I've been able to put out my top 10, primarily because I got into the Chicago Film Critics Association in October and have had a boatload of screenings.


I saw that the review-count on your site had instantly become rejuvenated in the past few months; I hope that continues.



I should get around to finishing my list near the end of the month due to time-constraints, although I think I've seen most everything I need to see outside of the two I mentioned above.
_________________
Danny Baldwin

View My Reviews
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 832
Location: Pearland, TX

PostPosted: 01.07.2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Best of 2006 Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
This hasn't been posted yet, so I figured I'd come back and start the talk up.



10 Best Films of 2006




Good stuff, Mark. Happy to see you again!



Your list has five movies in common with Rob Vaux's Top 10, with the same choices for the top two.



I still need to see Children of Men, but I feel about United 93 much the same way I felt about Gus Van Sant's Elephant, another film re-creating a recent real-life tragedy. Masterfully, elegantly made, but what's the point? Maybe it's a "necessary" film for those with poor memories, but I'm not sure I got anything substantial out of such an intensely painful viewing experience. I don't need a movie, however well-crafted, to remind me of what I felt that day. As powerful as the experience was (and as tasteful and respectful as the film is), for me it didn't do much more than that. I'm happy that others are getting something out of it that I obviously didn't, but I can't jump on the United 93 bandwagon.
_________________
Michael Scrutchin
Flipside Movie Emporium
www.flipsidearchive.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mark Dujsik
Director


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 212
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: 01.08.2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Best of 2006 Reply with quote

Michael Scrutchin wrote:


Your list has five movies in common with Rob Vaux's Top 10, with the same choices for the top two.




Oh, good. I missed Rob's list when it came out.



Quote:
I still need to see Children of Men, but I feel about United 93 much the same way I felt about Gus Van Sant's Elephant, another film re-creating a recent real-life tragedy. Masterfully, elegantly made, but what's the point? Maybe it's a "necessary" film for those with poor memories, but I'm not sure I got anything substantial out of such an intensely painful viewing experience. I don't need a movie, however well-crafted, to remind me of what I felt that day. As powerful as the experience was (and as tasteful and respectful as the film is), for me it didn't do much more than that. I'm happy that others are getting something out of it that I obviously didn't, but I can't jump on the United 93 bandwagon.




That's understandable, but I'm of the opinion that the actual impact of 9/11 was forgotten the next day, when it became a war cry. So for me, I think it's for more than those with poor memories.
_________________
"Film lovers are sick people."

--Fran?ois Truffaut



10 Best Films of 2006



Mark Reviews Movies
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group