Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Feel About Software Piracy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator


Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 87
Location: IW, dneB tseW

PostPosted: 03.30.2004 3:51 am    Post subject: How Do You Feel About Software Piracy? Reply with quote

Discuss, etc.



I will respond if I wanna.
_________________
beltmann wrote:
I suppose. Teenagers clearly suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fred C. Dobbs
Director


Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Posts: 201
Location: New York

PostPosted: 03.30.2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the few things I don't care about. Just kidding. It's one the many things I don't care about.
_________________
"Pino, fuck you, fuck your fuckin' pizza, and fuck Frank Sinatra."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hawkwing74
Camera Operator


Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 51
Location: Schaumburg, IL

PostPosted: 03.30.2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never pirate a video game, because I love rewarding the people who produce them. It hurts everyone in the long run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 03.30.2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I would never pirate a video game, because I love rewarding the people who produce them. It hurts everyone in the long run.


So by extension does this mean that you would pirate anything not a video game?
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hawkwing74
Camera Operator


Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 51
Location: Schaumburg, IL

PostPosted: 03.30.2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I claim the fifth. Sometimes I've reused Microsoft stuff...I'll leave it at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: 03.30.2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pirated a few songs, but never anything else.
_________________
Danny Baldwin

View My Reviews
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator


Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 87
Location: IW, dneB tseW

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the longevity of the internet, I am not willing to disclose my previous "exploits" plundering the digital high seas. I just would think that because of things like the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, you people would sort of group together the movies on dvd and the other forms of entertainment on digital formats. After being the whipping boy for people like lil' Joey Lieberman for years, it still seems that video games are somewhat mocked as formed of entertainment by people who subscribe to the typical gamer antisocialite stereotype. In 20 years, the people in power will have been gamers. We'll see who's laughing then, m'friends.
_________________
beltmann wrote:
I suppose. Teenagers clearly suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GimmickAccount wrote:
In 20 years, the people in power will have been gamers. We'll see who's laughing then, m'friends.


You make it sound like gaming is a recent innovation. Surely you know video games have been around since the '70s, and enjoyed a serious heyday in the mid-'80s? I'd say there are plenty of people in power right now that were once--or still are--gamers. I don't think your club is as exclusive as you imagine, although I appreciate your martyr complex, Gimmick.



(As for me, I was seriously devoted to the early systems, from Pong and Atari 2600, right through Nintendo and Sega Master System, and then Genesis. My name appeared in the earliest issues of GAMEPRO magazine--and I've got the T-shirt to prove it! I began to lose interest by the mid-'90s, but I still power on the PlayStation once every few months.)
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator


Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 87
Location: IW, dneB tseW

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
GimmickAccount wrote:
In 20 years, the people in power will have been gamers. We'll see who's laughing then, m'friends.


You make it sound like gaming is a recent innovation. Surely you know video games have been around since the '70s, and enjoyed a serious heyday in the mid-'80s? I'd say there are plenty of people in power right now that were once--or still are--gamers. I don't think your club is as exclusive as you imagine, although I appreciate your martyr complex, Gimmick.



(As for me, I was seriously devoted to the early systems, from Pong and Atari 2600, right through Nintendo and Sega Master System, and then Genesis. My name appeared in the earliest issues of GAMEPRO magazine--and I've got the T-shirt to prove it! I began to lose interest by the mid-'90s, but I still power on the PlayStation once every few months.)




I think your misinterpretation of my statement comes when I say the term "gamers." I am a serious PC gamer and there is a rift between the console and PC gamers. A lot of people play games now. The people who are serious treat it as like a community. Gaming over the internet is the main way I assert my superiority over people I don't know. By "gamers" I do not simply mean people that play games. I mean people that mod their cases. Do I really NEED 1280 megabytes of RAM? No, but I like being better than people.



Oh, and about GAMEPRO: You are my hero.
_________________
beltmann wrote:
I suppose. Teenagers clearly suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beltmann
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 2341
Location: West Bend, WI

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GimmickAccount wrote:
I think your misinterpretation of my statement comes when I say the term "gamers." I am a serious PC gamer and there is a rift between the console and PC gamers. A lot of people play games now. The people who are serious treat it as like a community. Gaming over the internet is the main way I assert my superiority over people I don't know. By "gamers" I do not simply mean people that play games. I mean people that mod their cases. Do I really NEED 1280 megabytes of RAM? No, but I like being better than people.



Ah, I see. Perhaps the reason I don't "seriously" game is because I don't feel the need to "assert my superiority over people I don't know." But I suppose all future leaders ought to have that trait.
_________________
"When I was in Barcelona they showed pornography on regular television. I'm assuming it's the same way in Mexico since they also speak Spanish." - IMDb user comment
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator


Joined: 06 Nov 2003
Posts: 87
Location: IW, dneB tseW

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
GimmickAccount wrote:
I think your misinterpretation of my statement comes when I say the term "gamers." I am a serious PC gamer and there is a rift between the console and PC gamers. A lot of people play games now. The people who are serious treat it as like a community. Gaming over the internet is the main way I assert my superiority over people I don't know. By "gamers" I do not simply mean people that play games. I mean people that mod their cases. Do I really NEED 1280 megabytes of RAM? No, but I like being better than people.



Ah, I see. Perhaps the reason I don't "seriously" game is because I don't feel the need to "assert my superiority over people I don't know." But I suppose all future leaders ought to have that trait.




I know one that does...
_________________
beltmann wrote:
I suppose. Teenagers clearly suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooky Cat
Cinematographer


Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 106
Location: Madison, WI

PostPosted: 04.02.2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer older Nintendo games. Honestly, Frogger is just as fun as Grand Theft Auto in its own respects. Super Metroid for SNES is my all time favorite game.



Piracy? Well, my brothers are very into computers, so I'm not entirely sure where all the software for my computer came from. I know a good portion of it wasn't paid for though.



Music. I download MP3's, I burn CDs. I confess. I have zero respect for the music industry. They have no shortage of money. They are corrupt. They are vile.



Movies. I will never pirate a movie.
_________________
Let's See It In - T H X - The Audience is Listening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
matt header
Studio Exec


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 623
Location: Milwaukee, WI

PostPosted: 04.02.2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirating a movie from some stranger's file and watching it on a pixellated box with tinny computer sound is not watching a movie.



Sorry if any of you folks enjoy it - it just seems like such a dull way to watch a movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tooky Cat
Cinematographer


Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 106
Location: Madison, WI

PostPosted: 04.03.2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Computers aren't capable of nearly enough audio output. It's all about the volume.
_________________
Let's See It In - T H X - The Audience is Listening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hawkwing74
Camera Operator


Joined: 29 Mar 2004
Posts: 51
Location: Schaumburg, IL

PostPosted: 04.05.2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooky Cat wrote:
I agree. Computers aren't capable of nearly enough audio output. It's all about the volume.


Dolby Surround Sound 5.1 sounds decent. To me, the 19" screen is not big enough visually to watch anything on my computer. Not to mention you can't get as comfortable sitting in an office chair.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2007 phpBB Group