Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which of these classic noirs have you seen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Which of these classic noirs have you seen? Reply with quote

I just watched The Third Man again, and, damn, I'd forgotten what a good movie it is. Here's my revised list.

The Maltese Falcon

Blood Simple

The Third Man

Pulp Fiction

Chinatown

Touch of Evil

Memento

LA Confidential

The Big Sleep

The Usual Suspects

The Long Goodbye

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:

-------------------------------

Film noir. An American genre of the 1940s and 1950s (named by French critics who noticed the resemblance between these "black" or "dark" films and the series of dark mystery novels -- many of them by American pulp writers -- published as the S?rie noire) characterized by sudden violence, tough romantic intensity, deceptive surfaces and emblematic reflections, unsentimental melodrama, narrative complexity, low-key lighting, and themes of entrapment and corruption, honor and duplicity, desire and revenge, compulsion and madness, betrayal and disenchantment, irony and doom.

-------------------------------

And to quote Tim Dirks, "Classic film noir developed during and after World War II, taking advantage of the post-war ambience of anxiety, pessimism, and suspicion. So-called post-noirs (modern, tech-noirs or neo-noirs) appeared after the classic period with a revival of the themes of classic noir." That said, The Maltese Falcon (1941) is usually considered the first film noir and Touch of Evil (1958) is often cited as the last.

And let's not even get started with the "Is noir a genre or a style?" debate (most say it's a style, not a genre, but...). It's never-ending.

I'm good with both those definitions, but I do think film noir is more than simply a style. Maybe it exists outside genre to an extent, but I also think genre often gets confused with "formula." While all movies that can be categorized under a genre share similar properties and aspects, they are much freer to exhibit originality than they are given credit for.

-David Cronenberg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2