Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kill Bill...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.15.2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypox wrote:
Of course, the more he casts Uma Thurman, the less I'm likely to care.

Funny! I'm not a big Thurman fan, either.

While it's true that the characters in Tarantino films don't exactly inspire affection, I'd argue that he supplies us with other things to care about in his films, things that are not necessarily related to character.

Which film of yours did Kipp review?

Eric
Monkeypox
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Monkeypox wrote:
Of course, the more he casts Uma Thurman, the less I'm likely to care.

Funny! I'm not a big Thurman fan, either.

While it's true that the characters in Tarantino films don't exactly inspire affection, I'd argue that he supplies us with other things to care about in his films, things that are not necessarily related to character.

Which film of yours did Kipp review?

Eric

I don't necessarily care for those other things, either. I feel his cleverness is artificial... it's I Can't Believe It's Not Clever.

And if I were JRR Tolkein, I would be rolling around in my grave, waking, crawling my "corpsen shell" up through the dry earth, and making it my personal undead mission to devour the grey matter of anyone who tries to compare Kill Bill to Lord of the Rings.

Kipp reviewed The Tunnel, directed by Ramzi Abed... it was also reviewed on this site by Michael, in my other favorite review. Very Happy
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artificial cleverness. There's a concept to grapple with.

-David Cronenberg
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed up too late again to finish a review. Class in the morning (if I make it) is not going to be fun. Anyway:

Kill Bill: Vol. 1

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vic Vega
Grip

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: What's That Song? Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the song is that plays in the scene in Kill Bill where The Bride walks up into Hattori Hanzo's attic and is checking out all of his samurai swords. It's really soft and has a female voice that sings real high, but no words. I've been trying to find out what the song is and it's not on the soundtrack. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it, but that link Michael provided in an earlier post might be of help. Also here's the page from DCNow.com with the track listing from the soundtrack. No samples yet, but they might provide them soon.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
Stayed up too late again to finish a review. Class in the morning (if I make it) is not going to be fun. Anyway:

Kill Bill: Vol. 1

Mark, not that ratings are very relevant on this board, I'm curious as to why you gave it a perfect score, but admitted that you hated the fact that it was split? Doesn't this deserve a deduction, or are you cutting it slack because it, really, wasn't up to Tarantino?

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
filmsRpriceless
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Danny Baldwin"]
Mark Dujsik wrote:
Mark, not that ratings are very relevant on this board, I'm curious as to why you gave it a perfect score, but admitted that you hated the fact that it was split? Doesn't this deserve a deduction, or are you cutting it slack because it, really, wasn't up to Tarantino?

How is the split necessarily a flaw to the actual volume? I don't think it is, though I am frustrated myself with the split (no matter how awesome I felt the last dialogue to be).
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a flaw because the ending was nonconclusive, and nowhere to leave off. If this one part were the whole thing, and there wasn't a second, you would feel more empty, even. Doesn't a bad taste in one's mouth after viewing a film? Doens't the abruptness of this volume make all that's been seen before feel worthless because of the fact that it is so sudden and unnessecary?

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
It is a flaw because the ending was nonconclusive, and nowhere to leave off.

As described in a previous post, I think that's debatable, not an obvious conclusion.

Danny Baldwin wrote:
If this one part were the whole thing, and there wasn't a second, you would feel more empty, even. Doesn't a bad taste in one's mouth after viewing a film? Doens't the abruptness of this volume make all that's been seen before feel worthless because of the fact that it is so sudden and unnessecary?

No, no, and no. It seems off focus to criticize a film's narrative structure when its intentions and considerable accomplishments have little to do with narrative. The "abrupt" ending renders the rest worthless only if you are willing to overlook the movie's abstract achievements in favor of a more literal (and less rewarding, in my opinion) plot-and-character reading. Kill Bill is an abstract experiment that requires viewers to abandon the usual, middlebrow notions of what "good" storytelling must do.

Eric
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
It seems off focus to criticize a film's narrative structure when its intentions and considerable accomplishments have little to do with narrative. The "abrupt" ending renders the rest worthless only if you are willing to overlook the movie's abstract achievements in favor of a more literal (and less rewarding, in my opinion) plot-and-character reading. Kill Bill is an abstract experiment that requires viewers to abandon the usual, middlebrow notions of what "good" storytelling must do.

What he said. :)

Considering the fact that the awkwardly edited "ending" of the movie is really only about three minutes of the film and the fact that Tarantino did do the best he could with it, it didn't really detract from my total enjoyment of what came before it. Unlike, say, the epilogue of Matchstick Men, which thematically and dramatically undermined everything that came before it. The split still sucks, of course, and it leaves me hanging longer than I'd like. Then again, how quickly did the time between The Matrix Reloaded and the upcoming Revolutions seem to go by?

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I like the break. I know I'm alone on this, but there you are. Second, yeah, Eric got it right. You know a second half is on the way, so where the division came was as good as if it had been planned. You can't judge it like a movie that ends abruptly. I haven't seenMatchstick Men, but I know what you're talking about. You, as a viewer, know that the narrative doesn't end here. It simply cannot be accepted as the "whole thing." My opinion of Kill Bill may change after Vol. 2 is released, but as a first half, damn, Vol. 1 is pretty good.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I didn't like the break, Eric, that was a damn good reason.

View My Reviews
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend and I were talking yesterday about the decision to split it into two parts. Since the end of the first film is (I think) extremely well-done - the editing is awkward but in an excitingly abstract sense, and it cuts together various times really well - and very surprising, I imagined a title saying "Intermission," a break to get some popcorn/go to the bathroom, and then sit down for two more hours (essentially Volume 2). That, to me, would be the best possible option.

But I also agree that since they decided to do it this way, they could not have done it better. The shocking ending is a lot more "shocking" (even narratively, I would say) than either of the twists in, say, "The Matrix Reloaded" or "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones."
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
First of all, I like the break. I know I'm alone on this, but there you are.

Not alone--I too think the break works. I like Matt's notion that the current ending would be a perfect lead into an intermission (and I'm guessing that KB will eventually be shown that way), but while watching Vol 1 wrap up, I felt satisfied--I think Tarantino has taken an awkward situation and turned it into something that works. I didn't really feel that Vol. 1 concluded abruptly or awkwardly. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want three straight hours of this stuff, anyway. We'll see in February.

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7