Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kill Bill...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.21.2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that it is a subject worth intellectual and social investigation - the fact that the n word is no longer used derogatorily (in its widest use, anyway) and is transforming into a universally accepted slang term - its usage still leaves me feeling a bit uncomfortable, if not necessarily outraged. As both beltmann and night watchman have said, its usage simply is testament to the further blurring of race distinctions, or that "multiple races and multiple cultures are givens." I suppose, in a way, it may even be a sign of things changing for the better (although I also would never use the word), since it does hint at the infusion of two formerly segregated cultures. You're right, both of you, in saying that one person can't deem what socially-used terms are inherently "right" or "wrong"; only a culture can decide that, and it seems to say that the "n" word is neither. But for the time being it still (to me) has a cold air about it; I have similar problems with the words fag or dyke.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.21.2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your perspective on it, Matt--the word still has grave negative connotations for me, and I would never use it. While its meaning may have shifted somewhat, and shifted larger in certain population segments, it hasn't changed much for most Americans. Same thing for the terms derived from homophobia.

Eric
Tekkor
Grip

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone....great discussion. Up around page 2 or 3 of this thread a couple people mention the shrieking siren sound QT used in Kill Bill. I can tell you exactly where this came from and it wasnt Swat as one guy mentioned.

The classic kung-fu picture "Five Fingers of Death" used this in exactly the same way QT used it. I believe I have even seen QT mention somewhere before that this was one of his favorite kung-fu movies. You can find it pretty easy on DVD even and it is a pretty damn cool movie.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tekkor. I got the impression from another site that it was from The Green Hornet. I don't think I've seen Five Fingers of Death, but the title certainly sounds familiar.

-David Cronenberg
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refused to see Kill Bill Vol. 1 in the theatre back in November. I admit, I was being stubborn. I kick myself in the ass every day for this. I am going to be buying the DVD he day it comes out to prepare for Kill Bill Vol. 2, which I will be going to see on my birthday.

Just for the record, Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film so i'm not sure what to expect from Kill Bill.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino also, and Kill Bill my second favorite (no offense to Pulp Fiction). I hope you enjoy it, Mr. Dobbs - it has a visual rhythm and energy that matches Jackie Brown's.
Hawkwing74
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagerly awaiting the DVD release, I want to watch it one more time before part 2 comes out.
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 04.01.2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I saw this via a screener DVD last week. I LOVED it! I still like Jackie Brown more, but this is Tarantino's most entertaining and energetic film, and my second favorite of Tarantino's films. I can't wait for Volume II!
JoeE
Key Grip

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm guilty of assuming (and being a sucker for packaging), but I really expected the KB v.1 DVD to be more "deluxe". I went to pick it up this morning and it's in a plain plastic case. Anybody know if there is a SPECIAL EDITION pending?
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeE wrote:
I guess I'm guilty of assuming (and being a sucker for packaging), but I really expected the KB v.1 DVD to be more "deluxe". I went to pick it up this morning and it's in a plain plastic case. Anybody know if there is a SPECIAL EDITION pending?

Nothing definite, but Tarantino has said in interviews that he has a lot of things he wants to do in regards to "special edition" Kill Bill DVDs. Later this year, he wants to release a new cut of Kill Bill, with both volumes edited into one big movie, into arthouse theaters (it won't be a wide release), and he wants to release that version onto DVD in addition to the single volumes. Plus, he said he liked what the American Pie guys did with the Beneath the Crust DVDs -- releasing supplemental materials on stand-alone discs without the movies -- and he might do something like that. Of course, it's all just talk at this point.
JoeE
Key Grip

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info!

The other Tarentino releases are such fantastic sets I think I'm gonna hold out for the goods with Kill Bill.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often bonus features are great fun, but I honestly don't spend very much time with them. I'm generally satisfied with just a pristine transfer of the movie. (If I buy another print of a Jackson Pollock painting, for example, I wouldn't mind if it came with a few "liner notes," but ultimately what I care about is the artwork itself.) I don't often feel like paying extra dollars--sometimes a lot of extra money--to own what typically amounts to a bunch of self-aggrandizing pats on the back for everyone involved. For me, features and bonus discs have become so superfluous that I rarely even bother to look at their menus.

The features I tend to enjoy the most are also of the rarest variety--academic, scholarly analyses by film experts, such as the Peter Cowie interviews on many Criterion editions. I'll sit for that sort of thing, but I can't bear to watch another "FX Shot-By-Shot!" feature.

As for Kill Bill, I'm satisfied with the current release, although I'll probably buy the integrated version, too.

Eric
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Often bonus features are great fun, but I honestly don't spend very much time with them. I'm generally satisfied with just a pristine transfer of the movie.

Ditto. As long as the presentation of the movie is top-notch, I'm happy. High-quality extras can be fun, educational, or enlightening, but I usually don't view them more than once.
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly...

Fuck the extras. I loved the movie TOO MUCH for me to hold out months from now to get a Special Edition. I don't regret this purchase a bit.

Can't wait until Saturday! Kill Bill Volume 2 and Birthday dinner! Smile
JoeE
Key Grip

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Fred!

I actually bought the disk this afternoon, anyway. Couldn't wait.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7