Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What deadly sin are you most guilty of?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
The Third M?n wrote:
beltmann wrote:

I lolled.

Eric

You lolled as in "LOL"? I hate it when people use that word. So simplistic and lazy. Orwell's satirical prediction in 1984 is indeed coming true... We're killing language.

I "lolled" in tribute to Gimmick Account's phrasing. Besides, isn't the introduction of new phrasings and new slang and new descriptions an expansion of language? New choices give us new ways to be precise when expressing ourselves. Language can only be killed if we believe that it can exist only in one set form; yet language has always been in a state of flux and always will be. Descriptive linguists recognize that fact and try to chronicle the ways people currently use language; prescriptivists try to impose a "correct" method of communicating--as if language should never evolve.

Orwell predicted a reduction of acceptable language, not an expansion.

Eric

It's learning, upgrading.

Soon it will be strong enough to take over the human race.

Thanks for the shout out, B.

Edit: Greed and sloth. They sadly counteract eachother. For example, I like getting money, but I am far too lazy to go out of my way to get it. If I drop any amount of money under a quarter, it's staying on the ground.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2