Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you watch this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Ripley's Game (Cavani, 2002)

Is this out here now? I've been wanting to see this for a while now. I hope they make The Boy Who Followed Ripley soon, my favorite in the Ripley series.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, Ripley's Game never received a theatrical release anywhere in the United States, despite decent reviews in Europe. I made a point of catching it when the Independent Film Channel programmed it.

This relates to my pet peeve, which is the way North American distributors--a tiny group with vast power and questionable motivations--get to decide for you and me what we can and can't see. The issue is compounded for Midwesterners, since distributors routinely assume there's no audience here for challenging fare. What opens on the coasts often never finds its way here--and if it does, it's months after the national discussion about the film is long over.

Eric
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I made a point of catching it when the Independent Film Channel programmed it.

It plays again next week. Too bad I don't have IFC. :x

I'll be going on a hunt for someone in the area with it.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unluckily I get IFC starting October 1st...what awful timing.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have IFC. I'm set to record Ripley's Game and Funny Games. By the way, how does Ripley's Game compare to The Talented Mr. Ripley? I haven't read any of the books. Should I keep Talented in mind, or just approach Game as a movie in-and-of itself.

-David Cronenberg
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 09.23.2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good week for me, I don't know where you guys find time to watch all these movies, but anyway here we go.

Love on the Run (Francois Truffaut): My first experience with Truffaut, and I liked the movie overall, but found it a little confusing since it was the last in his Adventures of Antonie Doinel. The parts that appealed to me the most was its questioning of how much of our past can we really blame on our current behaviors and conditions. Also, how the character had wriiten a book that was about his life, when the movie was semi-autobiographical about Truffaut and how they both acted as therapy.

8 1/2 (Federico Fellini): Another first, this time being my first experience with Fellini and I loved it. I cannot begin to describe why I loved this movie, mostly because I am not quite sure I quite understand the movie entirely, but it just seemed to work on so many different levels and in so many ways. From its blurring of dreams and reality to how, much like Truffuat in the afor mentioned film, it questions on how we are influenced by our past and how our past becomes evident in our actions to just so many wonderful visually stunning images, to its progession/metamorphises of madness into genius this movies was unbelievable. A must for anyone

True Romance (Tony Scott): My obssession with Tarantino led me to watch this movie. It was good, but since it wasn't directed by Tarantino it lacked some his flare and wit and leaned much more towards a feel good type of movie, it almost seems to have a torn identity. Although, much of the dialouge was heavily influenced by Tarantino it lacked his style, but in a type of escape from reality sense, it was fun. Plus it had Christopher Walken, "That Smarts Don't It"

Confidence (James Foley): I am a big Edward Burns fan. He was great in She's the One and Brothers McMullen, but there are some roles he cannot play, this is one of them. This entire movie is riddled by miscasting and although I was somewhat critical of Matchstick Men last week, I have developed a new appreciation for it. This movie fails in every aspect that MM succeeds in. The story was weak, the characters really held nothing for me, and the ending was completely predictable.

Well that all for now.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.23.2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
By the way, how does Ripley's Game compare to The Talented Mr. Ripley?

I found them quite distinct, especially in terms of visual style and interpretation of Tom Ripley. I guess it goes without saying that John Malkovich's take is radically different from Matt Damon's. Although I much prefer The Talented Mr. Ripley, both have separate virtues, and I'd recommend watching Ripley's Game without thinking about what Minghella would have done with it.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.23.2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfritschel wrote:

8 1/2 (Federico Fellini): Another first, this time being my first experience with Fellini and I loved it. I cannot begin to describe why I loved this movie, mostly because I am not quite sure I quite understand the movie entirely, but it just seemed to work on so many different levels and in so many ways.

Exactly my reaction. This is a great movie; even if I don't understand it entirely, it still makes sense, and is never confusing or anything less than watchable. It's also quite funny.

Eric: Thanks for the advice about Ripley's Game. I'm looking forward to watching it.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.23.2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfritschel wrote:
I don't know where you guys find time to watch all these movies

It's tough, it really is. It takes real dedication, for me at least. Time management is everything--I've been known to take papers with me to the theater, to grade as I wait for the lights to go down, and maybe during the previews. I always take books, because that's often the only time I can find to read! I try never to waste a moment, because it's the only way I can meet all of my obligations and still satisfy my passions.

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.23.2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm about 300 pages behind on my Comparative Literature readings because I decided to watch movies instead. Probably not a good idea. Oh, well.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.23.2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to manage just four this weeked I had to work on homework from 8-10 on Friday, then I got up at 6 on Saturday and worked till 9. The movie showing was at 11 on saturday, I purposely timed a thirty minute gap in between Cold Creek Manor and Anything Else to start a review.

I too bring tons of stuff to the theatre (most times I'll go to a 3:30 showing in the afternoon after school and work)...but this was one of my slower weeks, definitely. This week, I'm aiming for 6 theatrical releases.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.24.2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Suspiria. Review coming soon. Cool
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bycicle Thief... what a film!
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!! "Bicycle Thief" is definitely in my top 5 favorites of all time (while my list constantly fluctuates, that one stays always in the top). I remember crying and crying and crying after that one (although everyone else I've asked that's seen that movie said they didn't think it was that sad. Hmm.)

I haven't seen a movie for one week. One week! For shame on me.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
I haven't seen a movie for one week. One week! For shame on me.

You're not alone, I've gone five days without one...hopefully, I'll see Lost In Translation today, and watch some DVDs as well.

View My Reviews
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 11 of 74