Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you watch this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.09.2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually had to watch "The Mermaid" for my Film Studies class; they also have a copy at the library here at UWM. Yeah, I'm not sure where you could find a version available for sale, but I'd guess that a state or college library would be a good possibility.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.09.2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea. Thanks. Smile

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.09.2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
beltmann wrote:
Nicholas Nickleby (McGrath, 2003)

What'd you think?

Well you all got to it before me. I'm STILL holding onto it from Netflix. It seems are though I've been watching new movies coming in, before it, but I will try this week. I really will.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.11.2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
beltmann wrote:
Nicholas Nickleby (McGrath, 2003)

What'd you think?

I think McGrath has done an admirable job streamlining this story while still retaining the strength of character that made Dickens so popular. There are also plenty of lovely, crowdpleasing scenes. Nevertheless, I didn't respond very deeply, and I think the reason has something to do with its thuddingly conventional approach to the costume drama--the performers, for the most part, seem to be inhabiting their roles as if they were well-worn dramatic suits rather than full-bodied characters. The only only performance that resonates with me is Christopher Plummer (and perhaps selected moments from Charlie Hunnam).

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.11.2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
I've heard of Sick and desperately want to see it. Is it on video?

I received a screener from Lions Gate several weeks ago and only now found time to watch it. Its street date was listed as September 23rd (yeah, I'm way behind schedule, in just about every aspect of my existence).

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.11.2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wings of Desire is a great movie.

No question. Wonderful.

Where did you get ahold of the Milies movie? I've only seen snatches of some of them, and would love to watch them all the way through.

I'm a huge Melies fan, and often teach his stuff in class, to illustrate how early cinema split into two distinct paths (the tradition of reality, as pushed by the Lumieres, and the tradition of fantasy, as pushed by Melies, a trained stage magician). I've managed to accumulate a lot of his work through years of careful TV taping. However, you can easily see a bunch by renting a DVD called Landmarks of Early Film, Vol. 2: The Magic of Melies or one called Melies the Magician. There's a great deal of overlap between them, but I'd recommend both just for opening up access to his work.

Eric
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.11.2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
The only only performance that resonates with me is Christopher Plummer...

He was outstanding.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.11.2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eric. Smile

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.11.2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/6-10/12

Mad Love (Freund, 1935) Pretty silly movie, but entertaining nonetheless, although probably not for the reasons the filmmakers intended. (There is one very funny insert, however, that occurs during the climax while Peter Lorre is menacing the heroin, Frances Drake, which I won?t spoil.) I liked the semi-Expressionist sets; and the scene in which Lorre tries to drive Colin Clive insane is actually quite good and is capped off by genuinely great reveal.

The Mystery of the Max Museum (Curtiz, 1933) Not much of a mystery here, despite the title, but I quite enjoyed the movie. AMC presented a faded two-color version (apparently degraded from a vibrant Technicolor print after the movie was temporarily ?lost?) which tints skin-tones magenta and backgrounds cyan, resulting in a picture with a wholly unique look. William K. Everson, in Classics of the Horror Film, complains that ?it would have looked better in straight black and white,? but I disagree. I also liked the rainy, bustling New York milieu and the smart-aleck, perpetually inebriated female reporter with the snappy dialogue.

The Phantom of the Opera (Julian, 1925) There are some nice sets and nice shots in this movie, and Lon Chaney?s make-up is a wonder, but the storyline has always seemed strained to me, regardless of the version presented. I haven?t read Gaston Leroux?s novel yet; maybe I should. Anyone who has care to compare and contrast?

Ripley?s Games (Cavani, 2002) A highly engaging thriller. It?s interesting to see how the character of Tom Ripley developed from The Talented Mr. Ripley to this one. Has anybody read the series; how do these movies compare to the books? While this one is more concerned with plot than character, I still enjoyed it. Granted, it?s got more than a few plot holes, is not as pretty to look at as Minghella?s, and is blunter, it does have a quick pace and some funny lines. (And some pretty banal ones.) And, hey, who?da thought it?d be so easy to spot Russian mob bosses? Just look for the dour-faced guy flanked by two other dour-faced guys in black.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (Tarantino, 2003) The most flat-out entertaining movie of the year, in a year surprisingly full of flat-out entertaining movies. Here a chunk of my review:

It?s primarily a celebration of low-budget kung-fu movies, but also seamlessly incorporates animation, along with elements of Italian-style murder mysteries and spaghetti-westerns.

Uma Thurman plays a character known only as ?The Bride.? Her real name when spoken aloud is mysteriously buzzed out, like a dirty word spoken on TV in the 70s. She was once a member of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, headed by Bill (an unseen David Carradine). When she tried to leave the organization the Vipers tracked her down on her wedding day to small church in the southwest. ?They killed nine innocent people that day,? The Bride informs us through voice-over. But they made one mistake: ?They should have killed ten.?

The bullet in The Bride?s skull doesn?t kill her; it sends her into a coma for four years. She wakes with vengeance on her mind, and creates a death list with all her former colleagues numbered from one to four, and Bill in the number five slot. In this volume, she confronts Vernita Green (Vivica A. Fox), who is now a mother and wife living in suburbia, and O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu), who heads a feared Japanese crime organization.

So the story, a revenge melodrama, is almost simple to the point of non-existent. The simplicity leaves room for the development of scenes of pure heightened, larger-than-life emotion and exuberance. Since the characters are types and the situation is stock (to the point of absurd), it?s amazing how intense and utterly engaging this all is. Tarantino knows that an action movie is more than just flash-and-dazzle; it?s also the pauses in between, and the quiet, pregnant moments that bustle with soon-to-burst potential energy.

I was also amazed at how deftly Tarantino juggles all the tropes and styles. For instance, the history of O-Ren Ishii is told via an extended animation sequence. The first half of the interlude looks to be done in the style of a Ralph Bakshi movie, rotoscoping and all, while the second half takes up the more modern and more detailed style of a Japanese anime. When you think about it, it makes sense, since the earlier portions would have taken place at a date when the ?Bakshi style? was in use, while the later portion would have taken place in an era when anime was popular. It?s like the world of ?Kill Bill? is informed and energized by other movies. And movies of a different decade and different type mold the world into its own individual and unique shape.

?Kill Bill: Vol. 1? is like nothing you?ve seen; at least, not all at once.

-David Cronenberg
arsladky
Grip

PostPosted: 10.12.2003 4:00 am    Post subject: opinions Reply with quote

Anyone see "Confidence" with Ed Burns? What did you think?
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/6 - 10/12

Intolerable Cruelty (Coen, 2003)

Out of Time (Franklin, 2003)

Yojimbo (Kurosawa, 1961)

And of course, an hour and 35 minutes of Kill Bill: Volume 1, thanks to a shitty projector. I'll get/have to see the film in its entirety (is that ironic?) on Tuesday, and I already have a bunch of notes on what I did see.

Just got finished watching Yojimbo, and I'm greatly looking forward to checking out Sanjuro soon.

And since I don't have a review up yet, I might as well say here that I was severely disappointed with Intolerable Cruelty, which is easily the worst of the Coen canon for me.

EDIT: Added link to review of Intolerable Cruelty.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies

Last edited by Mark Dujsik on 10.14.2003 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
arsladky
Grip

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 3:36 am    Post subject: brilliant movie Reply with quote

Just saw "Identity." Absolutely incredible, ala "Mullholland Drive." Every word, action, and backdrop is a clue and a part of the essence of the movie. Once you finally "get it", (ok I'm slow, I had to watch it twice- I was only half paying attention the first time), you realize every single sentence uttered by every character is prophetic and integral to the point of the movie. This is a keeper. I would go in depth, but I don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it. It's worth it to be surprised.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/6 ? 10/12

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (Tarantino, 2003)

The Core (Amiel, 2003)

Dreamcatcher (Kasdan, 2003)

Willard (Morgan, 2003)

Samaritan Zatoichi (Misumi, 1968)

Of those, I?d highly recommend Kill Bill (thoughts sprinkled here) and Willard, which is a wonderful, horrifying tone poem about loneliness and a boy?s love for a white rat. Although I enjoyed every minute, I'm skeptical that it?s really anything more than just a weird, oddball story, well-played by the committed Crispin Glover.

Samaritan Zatoichi is a rote entry in the series, and The Core is well-acted but still just standard-issue disaster stuff. Dreamcatcher has a great first 40 minutes, right through the ?bathroom? scene (which, to my mind, ranks with the finest of Cronenberg?s body horror notions), but it nosedives almost immediately thereafter. The lame sci-fi alien invasion stuff is truly awful, complete with hysterical military types that ought to have retired with Sen. McCarthy. Long ago I was a Kasdan devotee (Accidental Tourist, Body Heat, Grand Canyon, Big Chill, Silverado), but it?s been more than a decade since he gave us something that wasn?t total hackwork.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most viewers either love or hate Willard with absolutely no inbetweens. I hope I'm one who'll love it.

The Core was really, really dumb, but I have to admit I was thoroughly entertained from start to finish. It might very well become a guilty pleasure of mine.

Same with Dreamcatcher; King's novel wasn't the best of his career, but, damn, did they eff up the movie. But what can I say, I'm a sucker for them shit weasles.

-David Cronenberg
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Dreamcatcher has a great first 40 minutes, right through the ?bathroom? scene (which, to my mind, ranks with the finest of Cronenberg?s body horror notions)...

But what can I say, I'm a sucker for them shit weasles.

I guess I was the only one who thought that monsters that announce their presence by causing flatulence in their host weren't scary.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 14 of 74