Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you watch this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched "Gigli" last night, and I have to disagree with you, Danny - I think it truly was terrible. I really wanted to give it a favorable review, considering the swarms of angry critics that slathered it with insults - but now I see that, in my opinion, such slathering was deserved. (Okay, I was mildly amused by some of the speechifying going on - but all hope is lost when climax after climax piles on during that "Baywatch" ending. Insert fingers down throat now.)
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
Insert fingers down throat now.

Now what?

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, the whole "Baywatch" thing is totally awful, but I do have to agree with Ebert, and would call some of the dialogue interesting, to say the least.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
matt header wrote:

Insert fingers down throat now.

Now what?

Eric

When I was watching the end of the movie, I felt like doing so: purging myself of the tripe I had just absorbed.

Should I be so hard on the movie when seemingly every other critic in America has already done so? I agree that some of the dialogue is amusing, but I found it amusing in that it is so long-winded, laborious, senseless, and incoherent. Christopher Walken rambling on about pies? Al Pacino giving a very loud, very "Pacino" speech/rant? J. Lo waxing poetic about why the vagina is more sensually powerful than the penis? These moments could have been truly original, truly oddball and deliriously funny, if Martin Brest had had the slightest idea on how to deliver them without a goofy, witless grin, but he doesn't, and neither does his actors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad to see some folks sticking up for the movie's (perhaps unintentional) amusement factor. I'm just not one of those folks.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
J. Lo waxing poetic about why the vagina is more sensually powerful than the penis?

That scene was great. Laughing

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, Matt. Gigli really is one of the worst films of the year.

Here's what Ebert said:

"Consider the matching monologues. They've gotten into an argument over the necessity of the penis, which she, as a lesbian, feels is an inferior device for delivering sexual pleasure. He delivers an extended lecture on the use, necessity and perfect design of the appendage. It is a rather amazing speech, the sort of thing some moviegoers are probably going to want to memorize. Then she responds. She is backlit, dressed in skintight workout clothes, doing yoga, and she continues to stretch and extend and bend and pose as she responds with her speech in praise of the vagina. When she is finished, Reader, the vagina has won, hands down. It is so rare to find dialogue of such originality and wit, so well written, that even though we know the exchange basically involves actors showing off, they do it so well, we let them. "

Normally I trust Ebert's eyes and ears--he has wonderful taste, even if he is too forgiving at times--but in this case I think he must have been woozy from all the gel in Ben Affleck's hair. That scene is a genuine turkey; I found it difficult to watch because I was deeply embarrassed for Lopez and Affleck (two performers I, admittedly, often like).

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't be happier to see Affleck commit suicide. He can destroy anything, but here he was merely going along for the ride.

I enjoy that scene, and do think it's quite clever and creative, but not in the inspired way that Ebert did. Gigili never put me in pain though--that's why I can't say it's abominable.

View My Reviews
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
I couldn't be happier to see Affleck commit suicide.

I really like Affleck in Chasing Amy, Changing Lanes, and especially Bounce, among others. Sometimes he's grating, but overall he gets a bum rap, I think. Now Ashton Kutcher, on the other hand...

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I dislike all three of these movies.

The only two occassions in which I've liked him is in The Sum of All Fears and Good Will Hunting

View My Reviews
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Affleck roles consist of him basically inhabiting his yuppie slick-guy image, which would be in "Bounce," "Boiler Room," and "Changing Lanes." I'm not a big fan, but a good friend of his named Matt Damon is, I think, a terrific actor: his performance in "The Talented Mr. Ripley" approaches brilliance.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.16.2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to sour on Damon. With each new role, he seems to become more and more self-conscious, as if he's tightening up at the thought that he isn't living up to his hype and potential. I thought he was awful in Gerry, Stuck On You, "SNL," and "Will & Grace." I'm still rooting for him, though--I remember first noticing him in Courage Under Fire, way back in '96, and he has occasionally been very good since then, especially in Ripley and Rounders.

Glad to hear you liked Bounce, Matt. I think it's one of the most underrated movies in recent memory.

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.17.2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was astonished at how much I liked "Bounce" - it had a really easygoing, vibrant energy to it. I haven't seen "Stuck on You," "Gerry," "Will & Grace," or "SNL" (at least the episodes with him on it), and I've heard from other people that his performance in all of those was disappointing. Oh, well. I thought he was surprisingly great in "The Bourne Identity," as well.
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 12.20.2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over a month since I last posted in this thread, so here's my big list. From November 10 to December 19:

• Down with Love (Reed, 2003) B+
  • All About Eve (Mankiewicz, 1950) A
  • Owning Mahowny (Kwietniowski, 2003) A-
  • Friday Night (Denis, 2003) A
  • Funny Games (Haneke, 1997) A-
  • Shattered Glass (Ray, 2003) A-
  • Blue Car (Moncrieff, 2003) A-
  • Gerry (Van Sant, 2003) A-
  • Willard (Morgan, 2003) B
  • Finding Nemo (Stanton, 2003) B+
  • The Cooler (Kramer, 2003) D+
  • American Splendor (Berman & Pulcini, 2003) A-
  • Eye of God (Nelson, 1997) A-
  • Whale Rider (Caro, 2003) B+
  • Girl with a Pearl Earring (Webber, 2003) C
  • Elephant (Van Sant, 2003) ?
  • A Mighty Wind (Guest, 2003) B+

Too many A-'s up there; I suspect some of them might actually get knocked down to B+ (or lower) upon a second viewing or deeper reflection. But what the hell? Those are the grades I punched into my little Excel file after my first viewing. Of those, I can't recommend Friday Night highly enough; I saw it about a month ago and seems like an intimate, hazy, beautiful, half-remembered dream. I almost don't want to watch it again for fear of the spell being broken. Really, wow.

Now, Gus Van Sant's Elephant. Lots of mixed feelings, but what struck me most about the film is the absolute lack of a response -- emotional or otherwise -- once the credits started to roll. Nevertheless, it's been a few days since I saw it, and parts of it have come back to haunt me. I need to see it again before I make up my mind.
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 12.22.2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Jackson) A

Bloody Sunday B+

Elephant (Van Sant) A - I loved this movie, I found it extremely well done, an excellent piece of social commentary and terrbily haunting. It had me completely enthralled from the begining and overall was just brillant and tremendously moving.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.22.2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/15 ? 12/21

None this week, but I did revisit Two Towers as a refresher before catching King later this week. It was a second viewing, and my response this time was identical. Some movies you immediately want to see again, and discuss, and tell all your friends about?and this series just isn?t in that category for me. While my head has deep technical appreciation for them, the rest of me is rather unmoved. Despite my critical admiration, they just don?t capture my imagination in a way that, say, Millennium Actress or Shattered Glass or Master and Commander (to name three recent favorites) do. Still, I?m positive I would have been a serious fanboy about 15 years ago. These days, I?m less interested in the clattering swords than I am in the astonishing use of colors?the compositional qualities are, without a doubt, the virtue that resonates with me the most.

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 22 of 74