Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you watch this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.05.2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Minghella (after seeing only three of his movies), but I'd say "Cold Mountain" is the least of those three. "The English Patient" is an outstanding, captivating epic, and "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is subtle, subversive, and superbly made. "Cold Mountain" is gorgeous and engrossing, but rarely as emotional as it tried to be (I think). Still saved by its storytelling energy and skill and by the performances (although a few of the supporting roles are a bit weak).

I've seen dreadfully few movies this week: "Cold Mountain," "21 Grams," "Super Troopers," and "Best in Show." And this time I don't have school as an excuse.
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Mountain (2003) - The first hour really sucked me in, and then the horrible pacing and redundant remake of the Odyssey just took my attention and flushed it down the toilet. I really didn't like the movie, I didn't need to see another remake of the Odyssey and the ending was so predictable and sudden. The movie dragged through the middle and then in one quick moment was over, it could have used some more theartics or something.

21 Grams (2003) - I really loved this movie, this director is one of the best around, his sophmore project did not fail at all. The acting was great which isn't saying a whole lot since it did stare Sean Penn, Benecio Del Toro, and Naomi Watts and you knew they would be great. But I found the movie much more deep and thought provoking then I thought I would.[/i]

Owning Mahowney (2003) - This movie was okay, not spectacular not horrible, and enjoyable to watch.

A Mighty Wind (2203) - Eugene Levy was hillarious, but that was about it. Again not great and not horrible, just a fairly enjoyable viewing experience.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Mighty Wind" is actually my favorite Guest film so far. It's less wicked than his others, and they actually seem to treat folk music with fondness and respect - this diminishes from the comedy a tiny bit (though it's still funny), but it brings the film a sensitivity that's rarely been present in Guest's movies. I was amazed at how emotional Mitch and Mickey's final kiss was.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for This Is Spinal Tap, even though that's not technically a Guest film. Then Guffman, then Best in Show and Mighty Wind in a tie. Tap is one of my all-time favorite comedies--it makes me laugh out loud.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.07.2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be forgetting something I forgot to log, but here goes...

Paycheck (Woo, 2003) - Not all that bad, but I thought that the setup was quite boring. I'll take this quality from Benny Affleck any day.

4th Viewing of: Fargo (Coen, 1994) - I still cannot believe how funny it is. Over and over I laugh at the sick humor, and fall into its spell.

21 Grams (I??rritu, 2003) - People seem to be criticizing it because of this, but I think that the structure, aside from the acting, is the only thing saving it from being mediocre. Still quite good, though.

Bad Boys II (Bay, 2003) - I had to. I just had to. And I'm so sorry about it. I didn't realize that people consider no talking whatsoever to be entertaining. I liked, uh, maybe five minutes. The five minutes of dialogue that wasn't completely profaine.

Bring It On (2001, Reed) - LSU was already sure to clinch the Sugar Bowl, I had already read a full book that day so I didn't feel like paying attention to the subtiles on The Housekeeper, and there was nothing else on cable. I wish I had gone to bed two hours early, instead.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep this short. I got a nasty fever and don't feel like writing much...

From January 1 to January 8:

• Dirty Pretty Things (Frears, 2003) B+
  • The Station Agent (McCarthy, 2003) C+
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (Verbinski, 2003) B
  • How to Deal (Kilner, 2003) B+
  • I Capture the Castle (Fywell, 2003) C+
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Jackson, 2003) A-

Regarding How to Deal, I must admit to having a crush on Mandy Moore. Still, the film ain't bad for what it is (a bubblegum teen melodrama), and I was surprised by how much it engaged my emotions. It gets extra cool points for making decent use of The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" in a key scene (I got chills, but more because of the song than anything onscreen). I thought The Station Agent would be right up my alley (especially with all the kudos its been getting), but I was curiously unaffected by it; it's already slipping away from me.

And, yeah, I finally saw that Return of the King flick. Great stuff, certainly, but I'm also a bit disappointed. I wasn't as overwhelmed by the experience as I thought I should be, but maybe that had something to do with the stupid, annoying family sitting near the front of the theater, who let one of their small children walk up and down the aisles throughout the first half of the film. I get distracted easily, but people like that have no business in a movie theater. I almost don't want to go the movies anymore; in most cases, I'd rather wait for the DVD so I can watch the film in peace.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
I must admit to having a crush on Mandy Moore. Still, the film ain't bad for what it is.

I'm indifferent to Moore, and I haven't seen How to Deal. But I'll admit that I found a great deal to admire in A Walk to Remember, a film which may have been roasted, at least partially, because Moore makes for such a knee-jerk target.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I'm indifferent to Moore, and I haven't seen How to Deal. But I'll admit that I found a great deal to admire in A Walk to Remember, a film which may have been roasted, at least partially, because Moore makes for such a knee-jerk target.

She's probably why I liked both of those films--she's quite the budding talent. However, I have a feeling we'll all change our minds after Chasing Liberty, but maybe not. Hopefully not.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
She's probably why I liked both of those films--she's quite the budding talent.

There's something genuine, natural, and very appealing about her performance in How to Deal. I haven't seen A Walk to Remember or Chasing Liberty, but I just might check them out.
Aragorn Exley
Grip

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. Smile Can I play?
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragorn Exley wrote:

But of course! Where've you been, Gabe? They keeping you busy at New Yorker Films?
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.09.2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragorn Exley wrote:

Hello Gabe! Tell us all your latest news!

Eric
Aragorn Exley
Grip

PostPosted: 01.10.2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Aragorn Exley wrote:

Hello Gabe! Tell us all your latest news!

Eric

Wow, it HAS been awhile.

I left New Yorker awhile ago, did some freelance work for Menemsha Films, and am now starting a new job doing marketing for the School for the Deaf. I've been seeeing TONS of movies, and totally agree with you, Michael, on The Station Agent. In fact, I'm even harsher on it than you! Life's been good; partying, drinking, poker, sports, etc,. And you guys?
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.10.2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last films I've seen:

12 Angry Men - [96]

The Magnificent Ambersons - [90]

The Two Towers - EE - [94]

Viva Zapata! - [86]

Kramer vs Kramer - [82]

El Cid (2003) - [35]
Aragorn Exley
Grip

PostPosted: 01.11.2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfritschel wrote:
Cold Mountain (2003) - The first hour really sucked me in, and then the horrible pacing and redundant remake of the Odyssey just took my attention and flushed it down the toilet. I really didn't like the movie, I didn't need to see another remake of the Odyssey and the ending was so predictable and sudden. The movie dragged through the middle and then in one quick moment was over, it could have used some more theartics or something.

I had the complete opposite reaction, except for the ending [I agree; totally hallmark.] I thought the first hour of Cold Mountain was the worst of the year, encompassing everything wrong with Hollywood. It was when the love story went into the background, and Minghella focused on Law and Kidman individually, that I thought it got interesting and well-made, like Minghella relaxed.

http://www.ecinemacenter.com/coldmountain.html

Full reivew. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 24 of 74