Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you watch this week?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i pwn j00
Grip

PostPosted: 02.25.2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Wishes he was as cool as beltmann*

I will never be in 8th grade i was stuck with p0rn = /
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.25.2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.25.2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's secret alien code for "all your bases are belong to us."

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.25.2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
I think it's secret alien code for "all your bases are belong to us."

LOL! (Do kids even get that reference?)

Eric
i pwn j00
Grip

PostPosted: 02.25.2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, horrible translation in a moderately entertaing game. I forgot what it was called though.

^for all j00 binary people.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.26.2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of missed references...

Last September several of my former students (current juniors) gave me a fish bowl and a fish. It died over the weekend, and so on Monday the kids orchestrated an impromptu memorial service (berets and "Taps" were involved, hilariously). This morning, I was startled to discover that a goldfish had made my classroom its home--startled because this new gift was the most deformed fish I have ever seen. I immediately nicknamed it "Chernobyl," but all day long not a single student understood what I was referring to. Is that historical event that far removed from the national consciousness?

By the way, at the end of the day several other English teachers joined me on an excursion to the Science department, where a snapping turtle was given an unexpected goldfish snack.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.26.2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I immediately nicknamed it "Chernobyl," but all day long not a single student understood what I was referring to. Is that historical event that far removed from the national consciousness?

Egad. That makes me feel old. A while back I made a reference to Pac-Man, and my friend's teenage son had no idea what I was talking about.

And, speaking of Chernobyl, try this one on for size: Three-Mile Island.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.26.2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:

And, speaking of Chernobyl, try this one on for size: Three-Mile Island.

I tried that one, too. More blank stares.

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.28.2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfritschel wrote:
Raising Victor Vargas (Sollett) - Another film focusing on coming of age and romance, I have to say relate and liked All the Real Girls much more. I really couldn't get into the first half of the movie, and it wasn't until he was almost thrown out of the house that the story and characters really formed a type of coherence, and became somewhat interesting.

One of the things I most like about Raising Victor Vargas is the way the movie depicts a culture in a state of sexual war: Victor is a 16-year-old boy pursuing the affections of an icy neighborhood beauty, but we quickly realize that he's really an insecure child who merely fancies himself a ladies' man. He exudes confidence only because he has none. More slowly we realize that the girl instinctively repels male advances only as a way to shield herself from the unbridled lust that infects the neighborhood; most of the male characters are shameless predators, and the girls adopt contempt as a mode of self-defense. Meanwhile, the other two main relationships enhance the theme of young, fumbling love.

My mind also considers this a companion piece to All the Real Girls, and while I adored that film, I slightly prefer Victor, perhaps because I found the emotions more immediate, and the family dynamics more credible.

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/23 ? 3/1/04

Images (Altman 1972)

The Missing (Howard 2003)

Stick Around (Hayes 1925)

Yes, Yes, Nanette (Laurel and Hennecke 1925)

In the Line of Duty 4 (Yuen, Hong Kong 1989)

Hop To It! (Burnstein 1925)

Mud and Sand (Pratt 1922)

The Passion of the Christ (Gibson 2004)

The Stolen Jools (McGann 1931)

Tuvalu (Helmer, Germany 1999)

Surprise! (Helmer, Germany 1995)

They Were Expendable (Ford and Montgomery 1945)

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant (Fassbinder, Germany 1972)

The Deserter (Borgman 2003; reviewed)

Hong Kong 1941 (Leong, Hong Kong 1984)

The City Tramp (Fassbinder, Germany 1966)

A Little Chaos (Fassbinder, Germany 1966)

Of those, I most admired The Passion, Tuvalu, and A Little Chaos. That last one is an early Fassbinder short, about three unsuccessful magazine salespeople who decide to force their way into a woman?s apartment and steal her money. From the first frame, the influence of Godard is evident?I was immediately reminded of Band of Outsiders?and the theme seems Godardian as well: One of the thieves, played by Fassbinder himself, is clearly adopting the persona of a movie tough. He preens and scowls like Edward G. Robinson, or Bogie. When the trio discusses how they will spend their share, he yelps, ?I?m going to the movies!? It?s a funny look at how movie style influences fashion, behavior, and even other films.

Eric

EDIT: Added the link.

Last edited by beltmann on 03.03.2004 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These past few weeks, I've mostly been revisiting movies in my DVD collection that I haven't seen in awhile -- as well as going through lots of special features that I hadn't had a chance to check out. These are the few titles I managed to catch for the time:

• The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Wilder, 1970) B+
  • Avanti! (Wilder, 1972) B+
  • Badlands (Malick, 1973) B
  • Days of Heaven (Malick, 1978) B+
  • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (Ford, 1949) C+
  • Thirteen (Hardwicke, 2003) B
  • The Haunting (Wise, 1963) B+
  • Deep Red (Argento, 1975) B+
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Robertson, 1920) C
  • The Lodger (Hitchcock, 1927) C+

Watching Argento's Deep Red, I thought about Tarantino saying in a recent interview that he'd love to make a giallo at some point, and I'd love to see what Tarantino's energy and enthusiasm could bring to the table. Sure, there's a De Palma-esque giallo sequence in Kill Bill, but I'm dying to see Tarantino do a full-on Italian-style giallo, complete with a Goblin-esque soundtrack maybe. Just wishful thinking, I suppose.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
I'm dying to see Tarantino do a full-on Italian-style giallo, complete with a Goblin-esque soundtrack maybe. Just wishful thinking, I suppose.

And I imagine he'd outperform his models. But what I'd really love to see him tackle is one of those social-justice dramas from the '40s, like Gentleman's Agreement, or maybe the later civil rights parables, like Defiant Ones or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?. The mind boggles.

Eric
Jim Harper
Director

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
Watching Argento's Deep Red, I thought about Tarantino saying in a recent interview that he'd love to make a giallo at some point, and I'd love to see what Tarantino's energy and enthusiasm could bring to the table. Sure, there's a De Palma-esque giallo sequence in Kill Bill, but I'm dying to see Tarantino do a full-on Italian-style giallo, complete with a Goblin-esque soundtrack maybe. Just wishful thinking, I suppose.

Was that the interview in Fangoria? I think he namechecked Argento and Fulci with specific reference to the giallo-style sequence in Kill Bill. I'd love to see him try a giallo; there hasn't been a really good one in ages. Sleepless was okay, and very violent, but it was Argento-by-the-numbers. Still, at least he's going to make Three Mothers now, which should be something to look forward to.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/23 - 3/1

Only a revisiting of Intolerable Cruelty was in store for me. Other than that--zip, zero, nada.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Harper wrote:

Was that the interview in Fangoria? I think he namechecked Argento and Fulci with specific reference to the giallo-style sequence in Kill Bill. I'd love to see him try a giallo; there hasn't been a really good one in ages. Sleepless was okay, and very violent, but it was Argento-by-the-numbers.

Yeah, I think it was the Fango interview.

I still haven't seen Sleepless -- or quite a few other Argento films that I should have seen by now.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 33 of 74