Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPAA to revise rating system?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.17.2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: MPAA to revise rating system? Reply with quote

From Studio Briefing:

Quote:
The Motion Picture Association of America, always resistant to changes to its movie ratings system under its previous chief, Jack Valenti, is now planning to make some key alterations to the system, Daily Variety reported today (Wednesday). The trade paper said that the MPAA will now warn parents that some R-rated movies are not suitable for younger people -- whether or not they are accompanied by an adult. Another change will allow a filmmaker to cite scenes in another movie when appealing a severe rating. In an interview with Variety Dan Glickman, who succeed Valenti in 2004, said that the organization had been influenced by criticism of its ratings system presented in the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated, which debuted at the Sundance film festival last year. Glickman plans to discuss the new revisions of the ratings rules with independent filmmakers attending this year's Sundance festival, which gets underway on Monday, Variety said.

Hmm. So there will be two kinds of R-rated movies -- those suitable for the under-17 crowd to view if accompanied by a parent, and those not suitable for them at all, accompanied or not. Will this make the NC-17 obsolete?
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.18.2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: MPAA to revise rating system? Reply with quote

Michael Scrutchin wrote:
Hmm. So there will be two kinds of R-rated movies -- those suitable for the under-17 crowd to view if accompanied by a parent, and those not suitable for them at all, accompanied or not. Will this make the NC-17 obsolete?

I read this yesterday and my first reaction was that it would likely be ineffective. Depending on how the system is instituted, theatre chains will likely ban the hard-R releases and it will become the new NC-17.

In principle, it really don't have a problem with the idea of this new rating (or NC-17 that matter). The danger is that the rating restricts the sites at which the films play, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a borderline violation of freedom of speech.

I'm not exactly sure that the addition of a rating really means anything. While I understand the idea behind "clarifying" a film's content, were any R rated pictures appropriate for those under, say, thirteen anyway? It seems as though an additional variant of PG-13 (perhaps like the UK's 15) would be more useful.

Now, if theatre chains have no problem with playing the new "hard-R's," as I'm dubbing them, I couldn't care less about the new rating.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 01.21.2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way it's stated here, the whole thing sounds like a moot point. If the MPAA is just going to warn parents that some R-rated movies are not appropriate for their kids (isn't that what they're doing already?), it's not really saying kids can't get into them with their parents (like the NC-17).

I like Danny's idea of a 'tweener rating (like the 15) that says certain R-rated movies are appropriate for kids with or without their parents. (Did Almost Famous really need to be rated R?)

Personally, I think it's just going to cause further problems however it turns out, especially if, like the NC-17, some theaters refuse to show these movies. If the MPAA can try to avoid the stigma the NC-17 has with theater chains, it might allow filmmakers to do more without worrying about whether or not their movie will make it to theaters.

And what kind of content is going to be considered for the severe rating (rated R-S?)? Sex? Violence? Both?

Too many questions right now, but I'm skeptical of how and if it will work.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1