Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book you're currently reading
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Book you're currently reading Reply with quote

El Principe Destronado by Miguel Delibes (it's a Spanish book). I'm also reading Great Expectations. You?
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Being America" by Jedediah Purdy
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, reading. I had this big plan to read a lot this semester, but not working out too well.

I need to read The Taming of the Shrew--again--for my Shakespeare class, so let's just say I'm reading that.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to find time to read merely for pleasure when teaching literature, but I've usually got several books going at once. Right now:

Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser

You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet: The American Talking Film History and Memory, 1927-1949, Andrew Sarris

Jean Renoir, Andre Bazin

The Chosen, Chaim Potok

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Glamoria by Bret Easton Ellis...yeah, I like the guy, so what.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, I love her stuff!
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading A Fine Dark Line by Joe R. Lansdale, some Kafka stories (finally getting into his writing), and I just finished The Other Fifties: Interrogating Midcentury American Icons edited by Joel Foreman. I ususally read a fiction and nonfiction book at the same time, but I haven't decided yet what nonfic book I'll pick up next.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfritschel wrote:
"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, I love her stuff!

Interestingly, The Other Fifties includes a devistating critique of Atlas Shrugged. Ouch! Just thinking about it smarts. I haven't read it, but I did read The Fountainhead, which I liked. I recently saw the movie version with Gary Cooper, as well, and thought it was quite good, but I didn't care for how Toohey was portrayed -- oddly enough, considering the screenplay was written by Rand.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.20.2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Settled on some light nonfic -- Haunted America by Michael Norman and Beth Scott. "True" ghostly tales from each of the fifty-one states and Canada. It's a companion to Haunted Heartland by the same authors.

-David Cronenberg

Last edited by the night watchman on 09.21.2003 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.20.2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finished El Principe Destronado I have now started El Camino (The Way), by the same author, Miguel Delibes.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.20.2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I just recently purchased "What Bird Did That?" by Peter Hansard and Burton Silver, a self-described "driver's guide to some common birds of Noth American." Essentially, it allows you to identify the bird droppings on your windshield, and comes complete with photographic examples of each species of bird's dropping, a "splay topography" which details the parts of the dropping and the different formations -- such as splerd, sklop, and schplutz -- drying times, and even a section on bat splay. This, I could not pass up. Yes, it's tongue-and-cheek, but the information found therein seems scientifically accurate, which actually makes it even funnier.

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 09.20.2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With school, I don't get to do much pleasure-reading. Currently reading for school: Propaganda and Persuasion (Jowett & O'Donnell), Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion (Pratkanis & Aronson), Propositional Logic (Pospesel), and Four Theories of the Press (Siebert, Peterson & Schramm). The course I'm taking on propaganda is fascinating. I'm also going through slowly, when I have the time, the Shirley Jackson short story collection titled The Lottery and Other Stories.
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh "The Lottery", who knew what fun one could have with stones and a box!
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that collection is very good. If you ever get the chance, I recommend The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

-David Cronenberg
likeadeadduck
Grip

PostPosted: 09.28.2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reading the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins and I can honestly say they are the best books i have ever read. They are based on the biblical version of the rapture, but even if you are not religious (I am) they are very exciting and interesting books to read.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6