Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last movie you bought?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Last movie you bought? Reply with quote

On DVD, VHS or even BETA, I don't care. What's the last movie you purchased from Amazon.com, Blockbuster, HMV etc?
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Two Towers

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tykwer's Heaven, on DVD. Haven't watched it yet.

Eric
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered Suspiria and L'Avventura, both on DVD. Has anyone seen them?

Last edited by The Third M?n on 09.22.2003 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspiria is one of my favorite horror movies - nonsensical, but it's astonishing the way that Dario Argento makes horror glow, pulse, and pour out of the screen. That opening murder is really tough to take, also. (Too bad about the dubbing.)

The last one I bought was a Cut Chemist / DJ Shadow performance movie called "Freeze"; the last actual "movie" (it's been a while) would be "Punch-Drunk Love."
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.21.2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brood and The Howling SE.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:
I just ordered Suspiria and L'Avventura, both on DVD. Has anyone seen them?

No? Like I once said, "I hate quoting myself".
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt reported he's seen it, two or three posts up. I've seen it too, actually; I just missed your question.

Susperia, to me, is sort of like a cross between a Nancy Drew mystery and a giallo with witchcraft mixed in. I like it, but there is an awful lot of contrivence in the narrative. I know you're not supposed to ask questions like, "What is razor wire doing in a sunken room in a dance school?" when watching an Argento movie, but there are so many goofy moments like this it's distracting. I guess the problem is the mystery plot doesn't mix well with nonsensical bits, making the illogic stick out like a sore thumb. Personally, I like Inferno better, because Argento throws logic, character motivation, and plot completely out the window altogether, making making everything that happens, no matter how bizarre, easier to accept.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you basically saying that the lack of coherence and explanation may prove a bit frustrating for some viewers?
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:
Are you basically saying that the lack of coherence and explanation may prove a bit frustrating for some viewers?

I've only seen a handful of Argento films, but they're clearly not movies anyone would watch for masterful writing or storytelling. With Argento, as with the films of Mario Bava, it's all about the style and atmosphere, and I have no problem with that. In fact, I love Suspiria because it's one of those horror films, like Lynch's Lost Highway or the first two films by Dante Tomaselli, that genuinely feels like a nightmare, muddled logic included. I still haven't seen Deep Red or Inferno, but I will soon via Netflix.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:

Mmm... no. I'm saying that the lack of coherence and explanation in Susperia smacks of neglectful filmmaking. To me, anyway. It's basically the same problem I have with Lucio Fulci movies. Michael brought up Lynch and Bava (I haven't seen any movies by Tomaselli yet), but I think these two are much more capable of creating a dreamlike sense in their films than Argento is in his. Argento's stuff often strikes me as muddled, stagy, and self-indulgent. Which isn't to say I don't like his movies, or that I don't like Susperia. But all of them are pretty far down on my list of favorite horror movies. They just don't click with me very well.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, then. I'll make sure to post in what I thought of it once I see it. Anyone seen Tenebre? I'm thinking of buying that one, too.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Tenebre's a pretty good giallo. Reminds me of De Palma's stuff, especially Sisters and Raising Cain.

-David Cronenberg
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched "Tenebre" shortly after watching "Suspiria"; it can't compare. "Tenebre" does have a few virtuoso sequences and shots that are very Argento-style - one swooping tracking shot climbing over an entire building included - but even by Argento's standards it's nonsensical and silly. (I agree, night watchman, about the rampant illogic in "Suspiria," but it's even more frustrating in "Tenbre.") Most of all, it's not very scary (gory yes, scary no). I also have a problem with the gratuitous sex and nudity Argento throws in; for some reason I don't have a problem with the extreme gore, but seeing useless shots of lesbianism and promiscuous loud sex isn't quite what I had in mind. (I have to be watching Cinemax late at night to be in that sort of mood....)
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.22.2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...looks like we differ on this one, night watchman. I consider "Suspiria" extremely superior.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2