Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Third M?n's Horror Movie of the Week #3: SUSPIRIA

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.24.2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: The Third M?n's Horror Movie of the Week #3: SUSPIRIA Reply with quote

Suspiria (1977) Dir: Dario Argento

A candy-coloured nightmare from Italian horror master Dario Argento, Suspiria proves to be one of the finest horror films ever made. It is without doubt the film Argento is most identified with ? and rightfully so. Seldom have I turned off the TV feeling as satisfied (and terrified, mind you) as when I finished watching this film. I ended up thinking that this is how horror films should be. The film not only knows our fear and vulnerabilities; it plays with them, it annexes them. There are moments in the film that are filled with so much power you cannot help but admire the sheer brilliance with which it?s all executed. The film?s strength lies in how it often makes the horror so close, that it becomes literally impossible to bear it. You?re not just scared by what?s taking place on screen; you?re utterly overwhelmed by it.

The story begins with Suzy Banyon (Jessica Harper), a young American ballet dancer who arrives at a prestigious European dance academy run by the mysterious Madame Blane (Joan Bennett) and Miss Tanner (Alida Vali). But when a series of bizarre incidents and horrific crimes turn the school into a waking nightmare of the damned, Suzy must escape the academy?s unspeakable secret of supernatural evil.

As the film commences, one instantly realises that they are in for something special. From the very first frame one catches sight of the palette of colours that paint the screen, which provide the film with a surrealistic, almost dreamlike feel. Red, blue, green and yellow are all used in a unique manner. As the haunting music begins to play, the deeper the viewer is drawn into this tale of witchcraft as a fairy tale gone horribly awry. Within the first fifteen minutes we witness the murder of a young girl. It completely sets the mood for the film and inundates us with the feeling that from then on something, sometime is going to go awfully wrong. Not only is the whole sequence inventive and phenomenally carried out; it?s gruesome and brutally gory ? possibly one of the most vicious killing scenes ever filmed (it would later be done homage to in Craven?s Scream). It?s all incredibly violent yet stylishly filmed and remains shocking after more than twenty five years. On making this film and these murder scenes, Argento was once quoted by saying "Fear is a 370 degree centigrade body temperature. With Suspiria I wanted 400 degrees"). And it clearly shows that he really accomplished this.

Perhaps the acting is not what one may call stellar, but I thought it was adequate for a movie of this sort. Jessica Harper is very convincing in her role and seems to grow more confident in it as the film goes. The supporting cast is no exception and delivers a nice bunch of performances. But, to tell you the truth, Suspiria is not a film about acting. It?s not what it relies on and it?s not what it was made for. It was made to scare us, and it definitely succeeds.

For me, what makes the film so immortal is the fact that it plays almost like a real nightmare. Surely this was meant to happen by the director, because it?s impressively done. Argento used the Technicolor three-strip matrix system, hand-screening each frame of the film and dying it in odd shades of colours, resulting in a hallucinatory, disorienting effect. All and every single of these components are what transform the film into a lurid experience. With his trademark visual virtuosity at his most ostentatious, he takes everything at his disposal and makes the best out of it. As a consequence, we, like the main character herself, obtain this sense of claustrophobia an intense panic which frightens us to a very large extent, let alone unsettle us. We feel somewhat bewildered because we don?t exactly are aware of what is going on, we feel confused, just like in a nightmare.

It makes us obtain a sense of complete anxiety because it?s so unnerving. We?re willing to know everything, yet we can?t find out.

It is the unpredictability which surrounds the film that makes it so memorable. I, for one, found the scene with the murderer chasing the girl with the shaving razor magnificently effective. The suspense is gradually and carefully built up, mainly due to The Goblins?s haunting, booming score and the wonderful camerawork. I thought such and such things were going to occur and that in the end she would eventually escape when suddenly she falls into the barbed wire (again, this scene is very gory and unpleasant, but without it, the film probably would not be the gem that it is). This demonstrates the way Argento masterfully manipulates (and alters) the audience?s expectations ? by showing us the things we?d never have expected to see and by raising the tension to such a large echelon that when silence comes, all we feel is relief, even though we?re not aware of what really is about to happen. There is a constant sense of ominous menace which makes us alert, and this is the real richness of the film. Because, who would?ve thought that a dance academy could be so frightening and intimidating? Who would?ve thought that a horror film could?ve been set in a place like this?

While some may find the lack of coherence slightly frustrating (given that not everything is given an explanation here), it worked totally fine with me, because, one has to consider, that nightmares seldom make total sense (or any, for that matter). Also, the final revelations are not particularly difficult to differentiate and ultimately make the ending a bit unrewarding, but still, it all seems to work. In my opinion, this is one of the closest attempts that film has ever got to portray the real horror that a nightmare is. Some may complain about the director's often ridiculous disregard for credibility in favour of effect (the rain of maggots, for example) but if you just leave it alone and suspend your disbelief, I?m pretty certain that you may find this among the most unforgettable horror films you?ve ever seen.

There are touches of sheer genius in the film; the image of a light bulb turning off is simply fantastic, and let?s not forget the death of Daniel, the blind piano player. The way the tension is erected is mesmerising. With complex camerawork, including large shadows and far off shots, Argento manages to create arguably the finest scene of the film and one of the most creative deaths.

There are horror films that scare and there are horror films that leave you flabbergasted; Suspiria does both, and surprisingly with incredible ability. The film differs from the rest of horror films because it possesses qualities that few other movies actually use, and because of this, or rather, as a result of this, it manages to be essential viewing for any horror buff. Terrifying, slick and tensely atmospheric, Suspiria is a masterpiece of its genre. And one thing is assured: I won?t be too surprised if I can?t get to sleep tonight without the light turned on.

*****/*****

Rate/discuss the film. Let's simply establish a nice and peaceful conversation and be kind enough as to share your thoughts on the film. Thank you.

Mr Lime
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.24.2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Third M?n's Horror Movie of the Week #3: SUSPIRIA Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:
I won?t be too surprised if I can?t get to sleep tonight without the light turned on.

Just make sure that light doesn't shine in a primary color. Wink

Good review, Mr. Lime. I like the phrase "candy-colored nightmare." Definitely describes the look of this movie to a T. Goblin's score is great; and as is the case with Halloween, the music is easily one of the most effective aspects of the film as a whole. The scene with the blindman and is dog is probably one of my favorite moments. It actually made my wife jump when she watched it with me. Argento pulls a similar trick (to even better effect, IMHO) in Inferno. And Fulci, never one to miss a good gag, rips it off in The Beyond.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Horror Movie of the Week # 4? Crying or Very sad

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on my Psycho review right now. I began to write it during the summer but never got to finish it. Don't worry, it'll be soon. By the way, have you seen The Eye?
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The Eye and the Ju-On movies are the next Asian horror films I am desperate to see.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard Uzumaki and Dark Water are both phenomenal. I'm dying to see them, and the trailer for Ju-On (have you seen it?) looks damn freaky.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the trailer for the first and the second theatrical Ju-On movies. (Incidently, Sam Raimi is producing a US version of Ju-On, called The Grudge, which will be directed by the same individual resposible for the Asian versions.) I haven't seen Dark Water, although I want to, but I do have ... erm ... an unofficial copy of Uzumaki. I like it. Don't expect anything like a coherent storyline.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've heard it's one of the most seemingly illogical things ever. People turn into snails and things of the sort. Oh, and did you know Jenniffer Connely is set to star in a remake of Dark Water?
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I hadn't decided on seeing it yet, I guess that would have convinced me. Mmmmm ... Connelly ....

By the way, she's the best thing about Argento's Phenomena; she spends half the movie walking around in a nightgown. Ah, I may have to watch that again soon.... Mmmm... nightgown ....

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
By the way, she's the best thing about Argento's Phenomena; she spends half the movie walking around in a nightgown.

Oh, Connelly is okay, but the monkey really steals the show.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm... monkey ....

Um, did I type that out loud?

-David Cronenberg
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.09.2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review,

im chomping at the bit to see this movie.

Anyone got the 3 disc DVD special edition?

I'll find the suicide, that I deserve.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.09.2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the three-disc edition (although for all the griping I did about this movie in another thread you might not guess it). One of the discs is the Goblin score. I'd already picked up the soundtrack several years ago, but its inclusion in this set is definitely worth it to those that haven't got it, since I think it's rather hard to come by nowadays.

-David Cronenberg
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.09.2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it selling for $60AU,

was tempted, but not enough to purchase it.

I found a video store hiring it, so I get to try before I buy.

Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 11.06.2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw it,

absolutely loved it!

Loved the styling, the colour, the score is second to none,

provokes a lot of the fear in the movie.

Those long drawn out deep bass notes had me peaking more the visuals.

I want that 3 disc edition now, especially coz its got the goblins score.

The story, was similar to the omen, but had a bit more style and gore,

which won me over.

The ending ruins the movie a bit though.

Bollocks.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1