Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Matrix Revolutions Theatrical Trailer... WOW!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.28.2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: The Matrix Revolutions Theatrical Trailer... WOW! Reply with quote

View trailer

What can I say, my hopes are up now. The final battles are going to be magnificent. Thoughts, anyone?
likeadeadduck
Grip

PostPosted: 09.28.2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellll yes!

this is going to be the best movie of the year!!!!
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.29.2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very excited to see how the trilogy will end (though I was a tad bit disappointed by "Reloaded"). Best fight scenes of the year? Well, I think it will be either this or "Kill Bill."
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.29.2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... what about The Return of the King? Remember the Battle of the Pelenoor Fields? 200,000 uruk-hai!!!

Last edited by The Third M?n on 09.29.2003 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.29.2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I guess I was thinking more kung-fu style tomfoolery, but yes, "Return of the King" should be impressive.
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.29.2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.29.2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get excited about either Revolutions or Return of the King. I'm looking forward to both, I suppose, but more out of curiosity than enthusiasm. Kill Bill, on the other hand, looks like it might be a doozy. I always feel that Tarantino is skittering near the edge of ineptitude, but so far his spell over me hasn't been broken--I like all three previous features, and Jackie Brown in particular stands up to multiple visits.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.29.2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I always feel that Tarantino is skittering near the edge of ineptitude, but so far his spell over me hasn't been broken

Why do you say that?

As far as Matrix Revolutions goes, I have my fingers crossed. I enjoyed the first movie, but I felt it took a really good idea and wrapped it up with a (admittedly spectacular) gun battle. I got a little tired of hearing what a great movie it was, and that it was one of the best science fiction movies ever made, yadda yadda yadda. A really good popcorn movie, at best, I'd say. I wasn't that excited about Reloaded because the hype from the first had just worn me out, but I was surprised to find myself really enjoying it and getting caught up in the world and storyline. Revolutions better follow through with what Reloaded set up, or else all my interest in The Matrix will fizzle. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of a cracking good yarn, and I hope Revolutions delivers.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.12.2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
A really good popcorn movie, at best, I'd say. I wasn't that excited about Reloaded because the hype from the first had just worn me out, but I was surprised to find myself really enjoying it and getting caught up in the world and storyline.

I agree that the series has been overpraised, especially in terms of philosophical analysis. The first was indeed a great popcorn movie--and certainly leagues beyond whatever George Lucas has been up to lately--but I had the opposite reaction to Reloaded than you did.

The first movie partially worked because we had a human entry point to identify with: as Neo learns more about the "real world," we are as surprised and confused as he is. The mystery continued to deepen as the film progressed. Fascinating things happened in between the wonderful action scenes.

The second movie, however, had the reverse effect on me. There was no longer any human element in the film, and I felt like an Orga stranded in a sea of Mechas. In fact, the more I learned about the "mythology" the less fascianted I became; each "revelation" actually decreased my interest. Worse, the bloated action scenes were interminable, and very little happened in between them that was worthwhile. I also thought that the character of Morpheus, so commanding in the first one, became utterly laughable, partly because Fishburne turned him into a stoic cartoon.

Despite my disappointment in the second entry, I remain optimistic about the third. I must admit, though, that the trailers have failed to impress me. Looks like more of the mecha mentality--a lot more. Sigh.

Eric
Nasimov
Grip

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Matrix. I think Revolutions is gonna be better than Reloaded. It's gonna be GREAT!!!
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disappointed by "Reloaded." I agree with many fans of the first film that it was a truly new experience, stimulating in many ways. But the second film, even it hadn't been weakened by the countless imitators and all the hype after "The Matrix," would still be a poor movie: its philosophy is gobbledygook, surface-deep monologues about choice and technology. The action scenes are usually well-done, but there was a discussion on another post, I think, about how the CGI in the Agent Smiths-fight was distractingly artificial (even if that was the only way it could have been done, I still had the dull feeling that I was watching other people play video games).

Still, I'm excited for the third one; I have to see how it will end.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CGI in the Matrix movies doesn't bother me since, after all, the sequences it's used in takes place in a computer program. To me, it's just the look of the world. Same with the philosophical/religious gobbledegook; it obviously wouldn't work in the real world, but within the context of the world of the Matrix it works perfectly fine. Of course, I couldn't quite follow it, so I might reassess my opinion after I watch it again.

It's sort of the same with LOTR. I don't buy the black-and-white world-view LOTR espouses; the idea of polerized good and evil, light and darkness, etc. But within the context of the movies I can suspend my disbelief.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidently, I think the thing that really appealed to me in Reloaded was the development of Agent Smith. I like the fact that he was sort of an anomaly, a divergence from the course set by the machines.

-David Cronenberg
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltman wrote:
The first movie partially worked because we had a human entry point to identify with: as Neo learns more about the "real world," we are as surprised and confused as he is. The mystery continued to deepen as the film progressed. Fascinating things happened in between the wonderful action scenes.

The second movie, however, had the reverse effect on me. There was no longer any human element in the film, and I felt like an Orga stranded in a sea of Mechas. In fact, the more I learned about the "mythology" the less fascianted I became; each "revelation" actually decreased my interest.

As I put it in my review (I know, I don't get people who quote themselves either):

"The original film started off foggy, became slightly clearer without lifting the haze, and ultimately ended in vibrant color?an understanding of events past and a realization of new, seemingly unlimited possibilities. The Matrix Reloaded is, by comparison, in black-and-white; everything is clear from the start. We know where it's heading and regret the clarity, longing for the times we could only wonder."

The "ending" of Reloaded leaves open a whole bunch of possibilities again, although I could see Revolutions unfolding in a simple, clearcut way, especially if the Wachowskis take the obvious route to answer Neo's actions at the end of the film: Just as Agent Smith became "free" from the confines of The Matrix by Neo "joining" with him at the end of the first film, Neo becomes "in tune" with the machines when Smith begins to "join" with him in The Matrix.

beltmann wrote:
The first was indeed a great popcorn movie--and certainly leagues beyond whatever George Lucas has been up to lately...

I'm going to sit in the corner, embracing my copy of Attack of Clones.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CGI in the Matrix movies doesn't bother me since, after all, the sequences it's used in takes place in a computer program. To me, it's just the look of the world.

I agree entirely. I'm no fan of the misuse of CGI, but I had no problems at with all with the rubbery effects in either Matrix picture. It is indeed "just the look of the world," and matches our contemporary conception of what such a world might look like. I couldn't stomach the Agent Smith Brawl scene, but for reasons unrelated to technology--I just didn't think it made narrative sense.

Same with the philosophical/religious gobbledegook; it obviously wouldn't work in the real world, but within the context of the world of the Matrix it works perfectly fine.

That rationalization might hold true for the first film, but I can't agree that it does for the second. The deeper we got into the babble, the more my eyes rolled--even in context I found it too silly, laughable enough to break verisimilitude. I'll concede, though, that our individual responses might have a lot to do with our mood and willingness to suspend disbelief at the moment of viewing.

It's sort of the same with LOTR. I don't buy the black-and-white world-view LOTR espouses; the idea of polerized good and evil, light and darkness, etc. But within the context of the movies I can suspend my disbelief.

There are certain genres--such as Westerns and fantasy--that make the disparity between good and evil a central theme, and if black-and-white scenarios help the picture explore that theme, I can accept that. I agree that LOTR is a good example. (My problem with LOTR is that there's a certain dehumanization at play; Jackson's fascination with mass slaughter--the adrenalized excitement of battle--reminds me a bit of the pawns that Lucas pushes around the screen. This is not to say I dislike Jackson's trilogy... I just think there is a rather naive, boyish sensibility at work in it.)

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2