Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George A Romero's ZOMBIE TRILOGY!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

George A Romeros best zombie flick
Night of the living dead (1968)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dawn of the dead (1978)
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Day of the dead (1985)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 7:32 am    Post subject: George A Romero's ZOMBIE TRILOGY! Reply with quote

Which one was your favorite out of the three?

I havent seen Dawn of the dead yet, but I like the other two for different

reasons. They are all made in different decades which gives them all a different feel. So far, the day of the dead is my fav, lots and lots

of gore.

-Night of the living dead (1968)

-Dawn of the dead (1978)

-Day of the dead (1985)

So which one did you like, if any?

They are re-releasing dawn of the dead, so all three movies will

be easy to get.

I'll find the suicide, that I deserve.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.13.2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn's my favorite out of the three; I think it's the most developed in terms of character and theme. Night is great, too, but Day, which I like, feels like a retread of the same ground covered in Night and Dawn, and one that fails to do what the first two did so well or add anything interesting. I also think that while Day is more technically proficient than it's predecessors -- it boasts a stylistically slicker look and more convincing special effects -- I think the scenario and the characters are patently unconvincing, and fairly unlikable. Also, while the first two have their moments of gore, Romero never focuses on the blood and guts. The point of Day, on the other hand, seems to be the blood and guts.

All that said, Day has some good moments, and was, upon its first release, one of only a few horror movies that took itself seriously in a time when horror had turned into bloody comedies.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.14.2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone care to discuss how they feel about the upcoming Dawn of the Dead remake? Personally, next to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, I think this is the worst idea to come about in years, and that's even taking into consideration Bad Boys II. Even if it turns out to be a good movie, what's the point? What can it possibly offer? Whereas remakes like Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly diverge enough from the original to validate their existence, Dawn of the Dead, it seems to me, can only shamble mindlessly in the well-worn tracks of Romero's original trilogy. If Hollywood really thought that a Romero-style zombie apocalypse flick could make money, why not just give the budget to the man himself for another instalment of his Dead series? (Michael, I know you've gotta have an opinion on this one.)

-David Cronenberg
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.14.2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really dont know.

Does George Romero want to do another zombie movie?

Im sure if he wanted to do another one, he could rustle up the finances, whenever he wants. Its funny coz Capcom asked him to do Resident Evil, but apparently they didnt like his ideas.

I guess the spin off 'return to the night of the living dead' was successful,

they might be looking at it from that perspective.

I really havent heard anything about it.

Do you know who is directing? do you have any info?

I am interested in seeing the movie though, sure.

the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.15.2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for all my griping, I'll be checking it out; that is, unless the trailers look anything like House of the Dead.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.17.2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak of the devil. Click here for the trailer for the Dawn remake. I was not exactly blown away by it, but it's suck level doesn't look too high at this point.

-David Cronenberg
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicked, I'll check it out when get home.

cheers.

Al
Grip

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Night for the first time last night. I found it very interesting in that it was a "monster" movie that was more about the people than the "monsters". With it's small number of core characters and locations it almost seemed to be written like a play...

For someone who may have done some analysis or thinking about the film, did the newsreel sequences make the fight against the zombies seem like a Vietnam war metaphor/criticism/satire to anyone else? Maybe it was just the look & feel of a 60's news broadcast from a "battle zone" that gave me that impression and there's no deeper meaning to it...
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al wrote:
I just saw Night for the first time last night. I found it very interesting in that it was a "monster" movie that was more about the people than the "monsters". With it's small number of core characters and locations it almost seemed to be written like a play...

Thats one of the reasons why I liked the film, a bit of Hitchcock style.

And it got straight into it, no mucking around, no story building.

I havent seen the extra 15 mins footage, Im guessing that will be

all the gore scenes. Anyone seen the extra footage.

I still havent seen the remake, might hire that this weekend.

Speaking of George Romero, I saw Bruiser last night,

it was better than I thought. More gore than I expected.

anyone else seen it?

the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit disappointed in Bruiser. I had high expectations because it was a new Romero, but while the concept was interesting, it seems to kind of stagger forward, and completely falls apart by the ending.

The NOTLD 30th Anniversery Edition is a waste of time. John Russo filmed two extra scenes on digital video, one that preceeds the movie proper detailing the internment of the first ghoul that attacks Barbara, and a coda about a priest who zombies-out on a reporter. Both are badly written, acted, and flimed, and completely worthless. Newly filmed footage of zombies roaming about works a bit better, but, again, adds nothing. And a new score replaces the original, which is okay in and of itself, but doesn't flow very well with the movie. Maybe it's worth seeing for curiosity's sake, but I'd warn anyone who hasn't yet seen NOTLD to take care not to pick this one up by accident.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.23.2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the Tom Savini-directed remaked of NOTLD is okay. It's sort of dramatically flat, in my opinion, and the lead actress who plays Barbara is singularly awful. The rest of the cast (especially Tony "Candyman" Todd) deliver respectable performances, and the movie is not without some good points. It certainly doesn't replace the original, though.

-David Cronenberg
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 11.06.2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no expectations on Bruiser, so maybe thats why I didnt mind it.

It was a fairly perverted movie, that kind of surprised me. I really liked/hated a lot of the characters in it, that aspect pulled me into the story a bit.

I really enjoyed the Savini remake of NOTLD, I guess when it comes

to horrors I like it gorey. and the remake had a lot more it in,

for obvoius reasons.

I dont think the ending was as powerful in the remake, but on a whole,

I thought it did the original justice.

Does anyone know why Romero didnt do it himself,

or was it the 'flogging a dead horse theory'. And I guess it was made

at a time when the spoofs on the zombie trilogy were doing o.k.

I also saw Monkey shines for the first time last week.

that was a bit of fun, pretty average, but I respect the guy

for working with animals.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1