Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrix: Revolutions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 11.06.2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Matrix: Revolutions Reply with quote

Post all comments about The Matrix: Revolutions here.

Eric Beltmann, this means you.
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 11.07.2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst movie of the year!
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.07.2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm catching it tomorrow. mfritschel, are you being facetious or do you seriously think it's the worst movie of the year? Remember, 2003 also includes Bad Boys II.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.07.2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Matrix: Revolutions Reply with quote

GimmickAccount wrote:
Eric Beltmann, this means you.

Haven't seen it yet, and I probably won't for a couple of weeks. I'm certainly curious but not eager--and with the Milwaukee Film Festival kicking off yesterday, it's unlikely I'll have time in the next 10 days for anything else.

I'm actually much more bummed about not catching Elf, In the Cut and even Love Actually this weekend.

Matt, Zach seems to agree with your assessment. Still, worse than House of 1000 Corpses, Gigli, Just Married, or The Happiness of the Katakuris?

Eric
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 11.07.2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe not worst movie of the year, but definetly one of the biggest disappoinments I've had, as far as movies are concerned, in a long time. Even more disappointing then the Packers this season! Crying or Very sad
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 11.07.2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever want advice on how to ruin a franchise in one fell swoop, just take a look at Revolutions. Depressing.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.08.2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe I wasn't expecting as much as everyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure, it's all surface, but what surface! I was looking for eye-candy, a solid story line, and some surprises, and it delivered. I think much more was "explained" than it seems most reviews give it credit for, but the logic and rationale are all completely locked within the movie itself. You're not going to find any practical life lessons here. You will find a kick-ass popcorn movie, though. I couldn't have expected anything more significant than that. Michael Bay and Paul WS Anderson should be taking notes.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.08.2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew...I hated it. Aside from the killer special effects, everything else was abominable. What a bad way to end it.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.29.2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does REVOLUTIONS have a message? I was rolling my eyes within five minutes, but the philosophical hoohah isn't what disappoints me.

I might describe it as eye-popping, except I felt like it was merely the greatest screensaver ever. To my eyes, all of the mystery and human appeal set forth in the first picture has been completely abandoned; both sequels are so controlled by CGI, hardware, and technique that it's clear the machines have already won. (When our most popular trilogy about saving humanity is dominatedby endless, endless, endless machine guns, it's game over.) Ever since Neo left his humanity behind in the first film, I haven't identified with a single one of these stoic characters--they're so monotone, so robotic, they might as well just admit they have more in common with the machines than with us. (I'd rather hang out with the Frenchman and Bellucci than any of the heroes--at least they have personalities.)

Trinity's fate left me cold. I've never felt the passion between Trinity and Neo; if they weren't constantly insisting otherwise, I'd swear they barely knew one another.

I will say I very much enjoyed the climactic showdown between Neo and Agent Smith, primarily because it seemed like every martial-arts showdown taken to its logical extreme. Clever action there, at least. I'll also add that my reaction may have been influenced by the fact that I saw REVOLUTIONS immediately after screening MASTER AND COMMANDER, which ranks as one of the greatest adventure pictures I've seen in my life. I don't say that lightly, either.

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.29.2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw "Revolutions" last night, also. I like it, for as much as I like it, because it does get you to think over how fate and chance interact in a world supposedly based solely on programmed and logical reasoning (the predictability of computers and the irrationality of humans has always been my favorite aspect of this trilogy). That said, it was the only thing I liked about the movie: even the most intriguing philosophical quandaries are delivered with monotonous uncreativity, the emotion of the storyline is diminished by a grim necessity to be and look "cool," and the ingenuity of the special effects has long since turned into pointless show-off. (Was there a point to Neo's bullet-time twisting on top of that roof in "The Matrix"? Yes, and it was amazing. Is there a narrative or theoretical point to Neo's fist slamming in ultra-ultra-slow motion into Agent Smith's face? I don't think so.)

And people have been calling "Kill Bill" shallow - that movie has more spectacle, emotion, and bravura than the last two "Matrix" movies put together.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.30.2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
And people have been calling "Kill Bill" shallow - that movie has more spectacle, emotion, and bravura than the last two "Matrix" movies put together.

I agree--Kill Bill kept me enthralled with its rhythms; the two Matrix sequels are a chore to sit through.

As for the philosophical stuff, the Wachowskis just ask a lot of familiar undergrad questions--like Agent Smith at end of the showdown, expressing ho-hum nihilism--that don't add up to much. If they had a driving point to make, and if they were interested in actually exploring this stuff, perhaps I'd feel better about the hodge-podge. As it is, just a lot of goo.

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1