Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Football
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.04.2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Football Reply with quote

My goodness--it's good to be a Packers fan the last couple of weeks. Dunno how much more my heart can take, though.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.05.2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Eagles will kill all of you Packers fans next week. They've been my team for a long while; I stopped rooting for the Chargers, oh, well, a long, long time ago. Far too hopeless. At least they always get 1st round draft pick.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the Packers are watched over by ghost of Brett Favre's father, and nothing will stop us, Nothing I Say. . . .

Especially the most overated team in the NFL
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a guy. I don't watch sports. People look at me funny.

Stop looking at me like that.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
I'm a guy. I don't watch sports. People look at me funny.

Stop looking at me like that.

I adore sports (placing football and baseball at the top of the heap), but I also read poetry and refuse to hunt or bowl--for my extended WI family, that makes me some kind of pariah. And my disinterest in beer makes me a certified leper.

Danny, how can you abandon the home team in favor of a club with better chances of success? That's just wrong. Am I supposed to cheer for the Cubs or Yankees instead of the Brewers, who have zero chance of ever resembling a competitive baseball team? No way, my friend--in this era of free agency, fan loyalty is the heart and soul of pro sports.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Danny, how can you abandon the home team in favor of a club with better chances of success? That's just wrong. Am I supposed to cheer for the Cubs or Yankees instead of the Brewers, who have zero chance of ever resembling a competitive baseball team?

LA will buy them out soon. Plus, the Brewers just lose, the Chargers try to stab us repetitively.

And, I actually started rooting for Philly when they had a 5-10 season (I believe that's what it was, at least).

The Yankees are more worthy of dying, however. I would (quite sadly) take the Padres over them anyday.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
I don't watch sports. People look at me funny.

I only tune in during the playoffs. I take no interest until something extreme is on the line. If it's just the regular season, I'd rather play the sport.

View My Reviews
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
Plus, the Brewers just lose, the Chargers try to stab us repetitively.

Fair enough. Our stab wounds come from the dagger known as the Milwaukee Bucks.

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
I only tune in during the playoffs. I take no interest until something extreme is on the line. If it's just the regular season, I'd rather play the sport.

My wife watches football incessantly, so occasionally I grow tired of it, but I could watch baseball for all eternity. For me, the beauty of the game--mind mazes mixed with sheer athleticism, on natural grass--makes it endlessly fascinating; the playoffs only intensify the appeal. I've always suspected that my love for sports is somehow linked, intrinsically, to my love for the arts, and I think my respect for the beauty of sport has a lot to do with it.

(Plus, although I always detested math, I'm kind of a history-and-stat geek, especially when it comes to baseball.)

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Fair enough. Our stab wounds come from the dagger known as the Milwaukee Bucks.

We don't have a basketball team. So, hah. Maybe that's the reason why I never took interest in the game.

View My Reviews
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketball's not my favorite, either. I only have a passing interest in the NBA, although I watch the playoffs. I'm much more involved with college basketball. March used to be my favorite spectator month--the Oscars and the NCAA tourney!--but with the Academy's date change, that tradition has fallen to the wayside. Oh well.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
but with the Academy's date change, that tradition has fallen to the wayside. Oh well.

I still can't get over the fact it was gonna be on my birthday but now, no. Egh. I will still have my annual pool, though. I hope to get the pot up to $250 bucks this year.

View My Reviews
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I have trouble sitting through a whole baseball game - it's my least favorite sport - but I adore football, hockey, basketball, and soccer. All of them are equally challening and equally noble in different ways, and my favorite time of the year is early summer, when the Stanley Cup playoffs roll around.

I'm a loyal Packers fan, but I've always loved the New England Patriots more, and am more ecstatic about their performance this year. Could we have a Super Bowl repeat - Patriots vs. Packers? That would be a dream come true.

The only thing that really fascinates me about baseball is if the Yankees lose. Greedy tyrannical evil arrogant disgusting bastard team. Damn Yanks.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.06.2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
The only thing that really fascinates me about baseball is if the Yankees lose. Greedy tyrannical evil arrogant disgusting bastard team. Damn Yanks.

Hey, they're just playing by the rules. The problem isn't the Yankees, it's the way baseball is set up. The reason the Yanks can be greedy is because baseball allows them to be--who can blame Steinbrenner for playing his best game under the current rules? Saying he should back off is a lot like demanding Shaq tie one arm behind his back, because he ought to play "fair." MLB needs to learn from the NFL, where a small market like GB can thrive because of a proper balance between club sovereignty, revenue sharing, and salary caps.

Don't get me started on free agency though--in both MLB and the NFL, the scales have tipped in favor of players to a reckless degree.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.07.2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<doesn't at look at Michael funny, but with an expression of brotherhood>

I loathe sports, but do adore beer, which makes the Super Bowl bearable, along with my wife's fried chicken and home-made mac-and-cheese.

-David Cronenberg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4