Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disney Set to Close Animation Studio

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.10.2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Disney Set to Close Animation Studio Reply with quote

From Reuters:

"SAN FRANCISCO - The Walt Disney Co. is expected to close a feature-animation studio in Orlando, Florida, on Monday, jeopardizing the jobs of nearly 260 animators, the Orlando Sentinel said.

Some artists will be transferred to Burbank, California, where Disney's corporate headquarters is located, but most of the employees, whose credits include the films "Brother Bear" and "Lilo & Stitch," are expected to lose their jobs, the paper said on Saturday.

Disney was a pioneer in hand-drawn animation, producing classic movies such as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Cinderella" and "Fantasia."

In recent years, however, computer-generated animation has become increasingly popular as evidenced by movies like 2003's "Finding Nemo," made by Pixar Animation Studios.

The underwater adventure was the top-grossing theatrical release in the United States last year, generating about $340 million.

Disney distributed "Finding Nemo" and has a contract with the Emeryville, California-based company that expires at the end of next year.

No one at Disney headquarters was available to comment."

This comes as no surprise, but the reactionary logic behind it, which presumes audiences prefer computer over traditional animation, strikes me as flawed. Certainly computer flicks have outperformed hand-drawn works in recent years, but it's a mistake to assume the disparity is related solely to technique. I'd argue that a larger, far more relevant, difference is the quality of storytelling: Can we honestly say the reason Finding Nemo has been more successful than, say, Brother Bear is that it was made on computers? To me, it's obvious that Nemo's commercial power lies not in a hard drive but in the heads--the imagination and wit--of its creators.

Disney shouldn't toss aside its hand-drawn division; the company ought to cleanse itself of moldy stories and overworked formulas. If traditional animation is a dying form, as many assert, then how do we explain away Miyazaki, Kon Satoshi, and The Triplets of Belleville?

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.11.2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Disney Set to Close Animation Studio Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Certainly computer flicks have outperformed hand-drawn works in recent years, but it's a mistake to assume the disparity is related solely to technique. I'd argue that a larger, far more relevant, difference is the quality of storytelling: Can we honestly say the reason Finding Nemo has been more successful than, say, Brother Bear is that it was made on computers? To me, it's obvious that Nemo's commercial power lies not in a hard drive but in the heads--the imagination and wit--of its creators.

Bingo. As unfortunate (and stupid) as this news is, maybe something good will come of it. As much as I've enjoyed some of Disney's animated movies, I've always felt the company was anchoring the medium in the realm of the "kiddie" or "family" movie. Maybe another company, or companies, will move to fill in the gap Disney's left in traditional animation, and the medium will finally be able to mature. I'd love to see something like Princess Mononoke or The Triplets of Belleville by US animators.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.11.2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Disney Set to Close Animation Studio Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
Maybe another company, or companies, will move to fill in the gap Disney's left in traditional animation, and the medium will finally be able to mature. I'd love to see something like Princess Mononoke or The Triplets of Belleville by US animators.

Wouldn't that be great? I think you're right in suggesting that Disney, and its blockbuster success with a standard formula, has stunted the growth of the art form by scaring off new thinking. And certainly there are American animators capable of greater, more mature work. If another company were to see this as a rich opportunity, Disney's decision may, indeed, be good for everyone.

Eric
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.11.2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Disney Artists Launch Legacy Animation Studios

Quote:

"We believe that traditionally animated films are still a viable form of entertainment," says Legacy Animation Studios Directing Manager, Eddie Pittman. "Our goal is to create quality animated films with compelling stories and strong characters and to continue Walt Disney?s legacy of hand drawn animation."

Very Happy
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.11.2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolio. I curious to see what they turn out. Hopefully this won't be like Don Bluth's company.

-David Cronenberg
i_hate_beltmann
Grip

PostPosted: 02.15.2004 6:30 am    Post subject: hey everyone, Reply with quote

doesn't beltmann suck harder than an industrial strength vacuum cleaner? I think (know) that he does.
i_hate_beltmann
Grip

PostPosted: 02.15.2004 6:31 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

i didn't mean that in the gay way, but in every other way he sucks
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.15.2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

i_hate_beltmann wrote:
i didn't mean that in the gay way

Dreams die hard, li'l buckaroo.

-David Cronenberg

Last edited by the night watchman on 02.18.2004 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 02.18.2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: hey Reply with quote

i_hate_beltmann wrote:
i didn't mean that in the gay way, but in every other way he sucks

Somebody's trying a little too hard Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1