Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irreversible (2002) Edgar Noe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Giggles
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 02.18.2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Irreversible (2002) Edgar Noe Reply with quote

When a woman is raped by a stranger, her friend and ex-husband decide to take justice into their own hands.

The unique camera work from Noe really makes this movie, the opening scenes are brilliant and really draw you into the film.

The story is told in reverse, inspired from Memento, which really makes for a shocking first half, as the revenge and rape feature early in the piece.

I'd compare this movie to Requeam for a dream, as both told a fairly straight forward story of how quickly life can turn ugly, and can happen to any of us. Not quite as powerful as Requeam, but it still packs a punch.

I was warned before seeing this movie how disturbingly real and graphic

some scenes are. Being a horror geek, I didnt find the 'extinguisher scene'

to be all that bad, but was convincingly done, and fairly cringe worthy.

However rape is never an easy thing to watch, and Noe wanted your attention during this ordeal. Its funny how I can watch so much gore in horror movies, but cant deal with rape on screen, even though I know its not real. I guess this makes me normal in a lot of ways. Monica Bellucis performance is brilliant throughout.

I'd highly recommend this movie to you all, as far as the shock aspect of it, I've seen much worse.

"time destroys everything"

What are your thoughts?

I'll find the suicide, that I deserve.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.18.2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinions on this movie have catapulted from detestation to adoration many times since I've first seen it. The fact that it can cause such extreme reactions in me so contradictively is testament to its power: whether or not you like it, there's no doubt it's a singularly effective movie, unforgettable once you've seen it. I remember a discussion on this website we had quite a while ago that was extremely in-depth and illuminating; I don't know if it's still around anywhere.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.18.2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, there's a great discussion of it (mostly between beltmann and filmsrpriceless) under the topic "Anyone pick up the Irreversible DVD".
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 02.18.2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the earlier discussion (4 pages long!):

https://www.flipsidearchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php-t=62.html

Cheers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1