Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introductions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Harper
Director

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Introductions Reply with quote

Hi, my name's Jim and I'm a UK-based poster. I look forward to many movie-related discussions!
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Introductions Reply with quote

Jim Harper wrote:
Hi, my name's Jim and I'm a UK-based poster. I look forward to many movie-related discussions!

Welcome, Jim!

Eric
Jim Harper
Director

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to meet another Flipside contributor. Do the others post here on a regular basis?
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm UK-based, too. Welcome to the boards, Jim. I hope to hear from you.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Jim! Welcome. To answer your question, the amount of traffic on Flipside just depends on the day. Sometimes everyone is talking about something, other times the forum is quiet. Overall, I'd say conversation is fairly regular.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Harper wrote:
Good to meet another Flipside contributor. Do the others post here on a regular basis?

Well, I'm here fairly regularly. (I teach high school, and you can always tell how much work I've brought home on any given night... if I'm posting a lot, it means I have a lot of work and I'm chained to the computer, occasionally popping into the forum as a "break." Wink ) Michael's here often, and occasionally Rob peeks in. We used to have a forum just for resident writers, but traffic was rather sparse. Besides, we rarely discussed anything that wouldn't have benefited from opening it to everyone. Anyway, welcome again, and I'm glad to meet another who likes Battle Royale!

I'm also glad to have another UK-based member. Sometimes it's easy to become caught up in your domestic hype machine (here in the US, that condition is particularly acute), so a fresh, distinct perspective is always useful to hear. That's the main reason I subscribe to the London-based Sight & Sound--the journalistic and critical coverage is noticeably different from American coverage.

By the way, right now I'm using the forum to avoid some domestic chores--my wife and I are moving in a couple of weeks, and I'm packing books and movies. As the mountain of boxes rises, I realize with trepidation that whoever helps us move is going to absolutely detest me. I'll probably have to spring for some chiropractic bills.

Eric
Jim Harper
Director

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Anyway, welcome again, and I'm glad to meet another who likes Battle Royale!

So am I. have you seen the sequel yet?

Quote:
I'm also glad to have another UK-based member. Sometimes it's easy to become caught up in your domestic hype machine (here in the US, that condition is particularly acute), so a fresh, distinct perspective is always useful to hear. That's the main reason I subscribe to the London-based Sight & Sound--the journalistic and critical coverage is noticeably different from American coverage.

I've found it difficult to compete with American writers when it comes to many contemporary movies because we receive them some time after they open across the Atlantic. However, the difference in cultural attitudes sometimes allows us greater access to films that have had difficulty getting released in the US. Battle Royale springs to mind, as does Cherry Falls. I was able to see the latter at a cinema before it opened on cable (correct me if I'm wrong there) in the US. Small victories, eh?
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 03.01.2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome out, Jim! Happy to see you here.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1