Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kingdom / Kingdom Hospital

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.04.2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Kingdom / Kingdom Hospital Reply with quote

Did anyone else catch Kingdom Hospital on ABC this week? I can't say I watch much TV--I'd rather watch movies, or read--but I made a point of seeing the first installment. I'm not a Stephen King fan at all, but I'm fascinated by Lars Von Trier, and since this was an update of his popular Danish miniseries, I wanted to check it out.

Although I have a DVD copy, I haven't yet watched Von Trier's version. I still think it's safe to say, though, that the American version is pure King. I enjoyed certain aspects of it, but mostly it seemed like the weaker cousin of Twin Peaks. Ironically, I was most compelled by the material that seemed closest to King, namely the character (a famous painter) that is struck by a van, and has an internal monologue about what he's feeling (and fearing).

Anyway, other thoughts?

Eric
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.04.2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Kingdom / Kingdom Hospital Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I'd rather watch movies, or read

Eric

Me too.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.04.2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I have anything against TV, it's just that I don't really have time for it. Any free time I have I'd rather spend doing something else.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.05.2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Von Trier's Kingdom on video, and many of the characters and situations in King's Kingdom Hospital are easily recognizable from that series, along with the insufferable science=arrogance attitude King himself has adopted lately. But, yes, the painter hit by a van is obviously an original element introduced by King, as is the mysterious anteater that visits him. I was surprised by how "Stephen King" the show felt, and even aspects that were taken directly from Von Trier's show, like the silly "Operation Morning Air," fit comfortably alongside the dialogue, character quirks, and overstated supernatural activity that is pure King. I'm curious to see how far King follows Von Trier's narrative.

-David Cronenberg
Jim Harper
Director

PostPosted: 03.05.2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see it, although it might be years before it arrives on these shores. I haven't yet seen Lars Von Trier's original, but I'm very eager to get hold of it once I have the necessary funds to spare. I must admit I was unhappy to see Stephen King's name attached to the project, (a) because so few of his television/film projects have been any good, and (b)because his television efforts are almost without fail completely toothless.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.05.2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been as disappointed with King's TV forays as most others seem to be. In fact, I liked his The Shining remake (even though it wasn't the least bit scary), Storm of the Century, Golden Years, The Stand, and (dare I admit it?) The Langoliers. What the TV movies lack in style and atmosphere (with the exception of Storm, which I found effectively creepy), they make up for in characterization and pacing, and are able to lock into the rhythm and cadence of King's unmistakable dialogue, which is often lost in even the best film adaptations.

-David Cronenberg

Last edited by the night watchman on 03.06.2004 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.06.2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
The Langoliers.

Shame on you!
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.06.2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not enjoyed most King adaptations or TV work, but I do have fond memories of Golden Years.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.06.2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Golden Years had had an ending.

-David Cronenberg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1