Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When you see a movie...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefanieduckwitz
Director

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: When you see a movie... Reply with quote

Are you alone or with other people?

I myself, have never seen a movie alone.
schalla
Key Grip

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a movie alone either.

Jenni
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inspired this topic, people. All because I'm a lone ranger most of the time.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half-and-half, I guess. I have to see a new release on Friday (or, at least, new to this town) for my Sunday review, and sometimes I can't find anyone to go with me. Plus, I record a lot of movies to watch off of IFC, AMC, Bravo, Sundance, and the other movie channels which no one else wants to see, and usually watch my "weird" movies, as my wife calls them (apparently in reference to anything low-budget or foreign) by myself. There are also some movies I'd rather not inflict on anyone else, like Irreversible, August Underground, and Scrapbook. Actually, now that I think of it, I probably watch over 60% of my movies alone.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume we're talking about in a movie theater. Like everyone, I attend movies in all kinds of combinations, from large groups to just a "date" with my wife. I also frequently attend as a singleton, and many times I've been the sole individual in the entire auditorium. I suppose whether we primarily view seeing movies as a social activity or as an artistic one largely dictates our willingness to watch in isolation. Last year I saw roughly 120 movies in the theater, and probably at least half were alone.

Strangely, I'm much more likely to watch alone at home. This has less to do with the movies, probably, than with the fact that it's very difficult to reconcile my busy schedule with the busy schedules of others. It's just easier to watch when I have a chance, no strings attached. If I were to guess an overall percentage, I'd say 85-90% are watched alone.

As for the "weird movies" label, I hear that often as well. I'm constantly amazed by people who claim to like movies but then willingly and intentionally close themselves off to the vast majority of movies. Fortunately, my wife is very open to a wide range of material; our problem is that she's just as busy as I am, and it's tough to find time that works for both of us. (Plus, she's a little skittish when it comes to violence, although she likes Tarantino, including Kill Bill...)

Eric
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to the theatre on my own [although, how I'd love to!], but I do tend to watch movies alone, when at home. This is either because my dad [I often watch films with him and discuss them afterwards] is too busy or because the films I'm going to watch he or my mum may not like. Other times it's merely because I don't want them to see them. Cool

And no, I'm not implying that, NW.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.14.2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
As for the "weird movies" label, I hear that often as well.

My entire family kills me for crowding up Netflix with "weird movies," even though all the crap they always want is on wait, so this is insignificant. I got my mom to watch Jet Lag the other night. Too bad it gives great foreign movies somewhat of a bad rap.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:

And no, I'm not implying that, NW.

Why did I get singled out? Laughing

-David Cronenberg

Last edited by the night watchman on 03.15.2004 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[mispost]

-David Cronenberg
Erickson
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a movie alone. Usually go with my brother or a group of friends. At home I normally watch tv with whoever is in the same room as I am. Normally, thats like a parent of something, but at night, usually alone.
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch movies alone most of the time. I usually go to the movies on weekdays around noon (the best time to avoid noisy crowds), while most of my friends and family are either in school or at work. And I watch most of my Netflix DVDs at night while everyone's asleep (using headphones so I don't disturb anyone). Not that any of my friends or family would be interested in watching most of the films I rent from Netflix, since most of them are not recent blockbusters. Usually, if I end up watching a movie with friends or family members, it's something I've already seen and think they'll enjoy.

I prefer watching movies alone. I get annoyed and distracted very easily, and I have a few friends and family members who are notorious for getting lost and asking questions about what's happening every few minutes. "Who's he?" "Why did she do that?" "What did Bob just say to Charlotte?"
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching movies in the theater by myself, mostly because I'm a prickly curmudgeon. Laughing

I really enjoy watching movies in the theater by myself -- but in a crowded auditorium -- to take my time experiencing everyone and gauging everyone's reactions without annoying the person I'm with. One of my favorite moviegoing experiences of last year was when I volunteered for the Wisconsin International Children's Film Festival, after which I saw Elf by myself and had a blast.

For some movies, I think the experience is greatly heightened by visiting a packed theatre. For example, when I first saw Austin Powers in Goldmember, I laughed hysterically -- largely because the rest of the audience was equally agreeable. Seeing it again by myself, I realized it's not a very good film.

Movie I wish I would have watched alone the first time: [/i]Monsters Inc., since I saw it with my girlfriend at the time and I cried. Yes, that's right, cried. Like a little girl. The date ended with me being the butt of many jokes.
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:

Why did I get singled out? Laughing

You're known for having a very wild imagination. Wouldn't you agree?
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
And I watch most of my Netflix DVDs at night while everyone's asleep (using headphones so I don't disturb anyone).

Headphones! That's what I need! The other day I was watching Stagecoach at around midnight when my dad came in and asked me why I was up so late, watching a film.

Yes, headphones will do the trick.

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
I prefer watching movies alone. I get annoyed and distracted very easily, and I have a few friends and family members who are notorious for getting lost and asking questions about what's happening every few minutes. "Who's he?" "Why did she do that?" "What did Bob just say to Charlotte?"

My mum's bound to do that when I watch a film with her. She keeps asking questions about such and such; and I just tell her: "If you don't know yet, you'll probably find out soon."

Rather annoying, I say.
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
Movie I wish I would have watched alone the first time: [/i]Monsters Inc., since I saw it with my girlfriend at the time and I cried. Yes, that's right, cried. Like a little girl. The date ended with me being the butt of many jokes.

I thought you were a macho man, Matt! Like, lots of hair on yer chest 'n' all!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2