Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Depressing Films

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Depressing Films Reply with quote

I watched 21 Grams last night, and this is not the first film to leave me emotionally wounded. I feel that films are like drugs. They can make you happy, make you cry, make you laugh, and some can even make you feel depressed. The following films, for me, would be the equivalent to a drug overdose or a bad trip:

Requiem for a Dream - Completley hopeless. I had to take a shower after watching this film. I often joke around that this film makes me want to blow my brains out. A film i'd never be able to revist again, since one of my close friends ruined his life because of drugs.

Persona - This Bergman film coincided with me getting sick, and a series of events in my life which led to a depression. Visually stunning, but at times, too intense for me. Sometimes I think this film is what made me sick and depressed.

21 Grams - Excellent film, but I feel like i'm going to throw up. A film about lthree people loosing everything. Not an ideal Sunday night. I'll probably re-visit it sooner than later though, not as intese as the above two.

Some others:

Raging Bull (Although I frequently revisit it, I always hope for a different outcome)

Eraserhead

Bad Lieutenant (Need I say more?)

Sweet Sweetbacks Baadasss Song (I thought blaxploitation was supposed to be FUN?!)
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one film that completely devastates me is Cronenberg's Dead Ringers. Jeremy Irons's performance is great, not just because he has a dual role, but because of his ability to evoke the internalized suffering and misery of the twins.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

Bad Lieutenant

Bad Lieutenant is a good choice for this list, although I think it's a movie I respect more than I like. It made me physically nauseous the first time I watched it, but I can't deny the power of a movie that makes you concerned for such a vile individual.

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

Eraserhead

I always thought Eraserhead had a happy ending.

-David Cronenberg
Tooky Cat
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 03.15.2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Fred's comment about Requiem for a Dream. It's hard to have much optimism left after watching that film. It definately put me in the dumps for a little while.

I also found it ironic how you mentioned that films are like drugs. It seemed like Requiem was trying to do to my mentality what the drugs were doing to the characters in it.

It definately has some good messages in all of its hopelessness though.
The Ringbearer
Grip

PostPosted: 03.23.2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the most depressing film would be Grave of the Fireflies. It is one of very few films that can shatter your heart into pieces as you are watching it.
Erickson
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 03.23.2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Depressing Films Reply with quote

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
I feel that films are like drugs. They can make you happy, make you cry, make you laugh, and some can even make you feel depressed.

The movie to go along with Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is definetly one of those experiences, but it makes perfect sense, even sober.
louis
Grip

PostPosted: 04.12.2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Depressing Films Reply with quote

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

21 Grams - Excellent film, but I feel like i'm going to throw up. A film about lthree people loosing everything. Not an ideal Sunday night. I'll probably re-visit it sooner than later though, not as intese as the above two.

Isn't that great , though ? That a film can affect you that way.

This guy is truly a great director.

Amorres Peros was the same way. I recommend it wholeheartedly for when your in the mood for that "throwing up" feeling again.

This director is amazing because he manages to evoke feeling and emotion in a similiar way that music does. It is not so much the plot itself ... it is a "total emersion" if you will ... you are suspended in the emotion he want's you to have. It is the same way listening to a bob dylan or mazzy star song evokes a mood ... even if you don't listen to the lyrics.

They could be called mood pieces i guess.

Also, at the risk of sounding pretentious, I think this director has tapped into 20th century existential hopelessness like no other director.

I would call Amorres Peros one of the greatest pieces of "Nihilist cinema" ever. It is unforgiving. Walking out of the theator, the whole world seems like a vast hopeless, godless wasteland.

His only flaw is that he risks overdoing it sometimes ... he is such a master ... but his films come periously close to feeling forced or manipulative at times.
Hawkwing74
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 04.12.2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen some of the other movies listed here but I think Requiem for a Dream is a movie that actually causes emotional pain...I've never seen anything like it.

I was pretty depressed after seeing Schindler's List also, but nothing like Requiem.
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 04.12.2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add House of Sand and Fog to that list. Crying or Very sad
louis
Grip

PostPosted: 04.12.2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, cause I didn't think Requiem was nearly as depressing as everyone else.

I mean, it was depressing, but it didn't emotionally impact me the way Amorres Peros did.

I think the thing that depresses me so much about this Mexican director is that (rightly or wrongly) I've gotten the message that "it just doesn't matter" from his films. His films are like that bumber sticker "lifes a bitch and then you die".

I think its the feeling of apathy I get from his movies.

With movies like Schindlers List you know things are wrong ... the movie in fact points out how wrong everything is.

Amorres Peros left me feeling like ... O.K., this sucks, everything sucks, so what ?

Somehow this is more depressing to me.
JoeE
Key Grip

PostPosted: 04.14.2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 Grams was probably my biggest bummer recently. I think The House of Sand and Fog should have been, but it just didn't get to me.

The Ice Storm, In the Bedroom and Funny Games come to mind, too.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeE wrote:
The Ice Storm, In the Bedroom and Funny Games come to mind, too.

The Ice Storm was my favorite movie of 1997, and while the subject matter is often depressing, the movie itself is an exhilaration--isn't all great art inherently exciting?
JoeE
Key Grip

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is. I'm not sure depressing is even an appropriate word. I don't think I've ever been depressed by a film... deeply affected is more apt and being affected is the goal. I like films about pain!

Another one that left me with a "dark buzz" was Stevie (2002, James) Anyone see it?
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 04.15.2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Stevie, although not for the usual reasons. Here's my review.

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1