Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seen my first Lynch Film - and I NEED answers. . .

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ringbearer
Grip

PostPosted: 03.27.2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Seen my first Lynch Film - and I NEED answers. . . Reply with quote

I watched Mulholland Dr. for the first time last night. The imagery alone amazed me and sedated me in a dream-like state for the entire film. But, and I knew there would be a but before I popped the DVD in my player, I have many questions. Does anyone know the linear form of this story? I think I get the basic "what happened," but does anyone know the order of events it actually occurs in? Or is this not important? Remember - I had never seen a Lynch film before this one. . . Embarassed. I know, I need some time in the corner. But, anyway, I also have a few more inquiries. I think I understand some of the things the film is talking about: the over-objectifying of women in Hollywood, the American dream not being what we had hoped it was, optimism sometimes not being as important as realism, and hating oneself enough to create someone else in your own mind. I also see how Lynch seems to view the business side of "showbusiness" as the villain, whereas creativity (the "show" factor) is the protagonist of Hollywood movie-making. The film shows how stunted creativity can be when corporations take over and it also seems to touch on not holding your idols up too high or they WILL let you down. Some things that don't quite make sense to me: what was the use of the blurred focus in two moments of the dinner scene at the end? Anyone? What was the sexual purpose of the film? Or - was Betty just in love with the "cinematic image" of Camilla? Why does Camilla seem to dislike Betty in the end? And, of course, what was the purpose of the homeless demon with the blue box??? What was the blue box??? And - another, I'm sure, famous question - what were the real names of the two women (Camilla, Betty, Diane, Rita???) and were they definately the same person? Or were they actually two different people? I know I have more questions, but I'd rather just see how some of you take this film in and interpret it. If you could help me out in the aspects I proposed (and, by all means, do so in those I did NOT propose) - it would be greatly appreciated. Smile
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.28.2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread:

http://flipsidearchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71

-David Cronenberg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1