Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matchstick Men
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
addict2u
Grip

PostPosted: 09.10.2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Matchstick Men Reply with quote

Anyone seen this movie yet? I am still thinking what to expect from it. How is it compared other scam movies in the past?
Katiedid25
Grip

PostPosted: 09.10.2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Matchstick Men review Reply with quote

I got to see a sneak preview for the movie and here is my review of it:

?Matchstick Men? was one of the movies that I most anticipated seeing this year. I have always enjoyed Nicholas Cage and Sam Rockwell. With these two working together, the movie had to be great. Cage was brilliant in his role as a con artist with obsessive-compulsive-like phobias. In addition to Cage, Rockwell adds to the comedic aspect of the film. Up-and-coming star Alison Lohman also shines in the film as the daughter of Cage?s character. The relationship between Cage and Lohman is a huge part of the film that makes it funny. Overall, this movie was great and I recommend it to anyone whether they love Cage and Rockwell or not.
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.10.2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can't wait to see it. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite and most admired directors (despite having had a few fiasco or two... White Squall, anyone?), and I love Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, meaning that obviosuly I cannot wait to see it.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.10.2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take White Squall over Black Hawk Down, G.I. Jane, Legend, 1492, and Hannibal. Scott uses the sea to great visual advantage; several passages are beautiful. Still, I can't defend the melodrama, despite Jeff Bridges.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.11.2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Scott is responsible for my top two favorite movies, Alien and Blade Runner, he's really had a lot of misses for me. Blackhawk Down was quite good for what it was, but Gladiator was terribly overrated (best picture?!), Hannibal was a stylistic mess, and everything from G.I. Jane back to Black Rain (with the exception of Thelma & Louise) struck me as just slightly above-average cinema. I liked Someone to Watch Over Me and, yes, I'll admit it, Legend. Still haven't seen The Duellists. Hopefully Matchstick Men will be a real treat.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.12.2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come you consider Gladiator to be terribly overrated? Sure, so it might not have been the real best picture of 2000 (either Requiem for a Dream or Unbreakable get that title, in my opinion), but it was a magnificent, wonderfully crafted film. I loved it, and it had a massive impact on me as I saw it when I was 11. The painful realism and graphic brutality of the fight scenes struck me really hard, and seeing Russell Crowe act so majestically gave me shivers. I think it's a masterpiece, in my opinion (*****/*****).
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.12.2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and here is Rob Vaux's review of Matchstick Men . I'll be seeing it next week. Good review, I hope I like it a bit more than he did, though. Has anybody seen it yet apart from him?
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.12.2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:

How come you consider Gladiator to be terribly overrated?

I enjoyed Gladiator, but only as a minor action/adventure movie. To me, it was dramatically flat and the plot was too schematic, e.g. the characters were either heroes or villains, and Maximus's journey to take vengence and restore his honor was very nearly a straight line. He met and surmounted every crisis with little or no trouble. It was too black-and-white, and too simplistic to arouse any suspense. I loved the battles, and I liked some of the performances, and I was entertained for two hours, but I got everything the movie had to offer after the first viewing.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Night Watchman on Gladiator. I just got back from Matchstick Men, and I was quite disappointed by it. I thought that it worked for the first hour and forty-five minutes, but then comes the awful little twist, that basically kills it. 2.5/4. My review will come soon.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
I enjoyed Gladiator, but only as a minor action/adventure movie. To me, it was dramatically flat and the plot was too schematic, e.g. the characters were either heroes or villains, and Maximus's journey to take vengence and restore his honor was very nearly a straight line. He met and surmounted every crisis with little or no trouble. It was too black-and-white, and too simplistic to arouse any suspense. I loved the battles, and I liked some of the performances, and I was entertained for two hours, but I got everything the movie had to offer after the first viewing.

I agree with every word, but I might be slightly more forgiving of the archetypical characters, especially because the film is clearly striving for mythmaking proportions. I also appreciated how concentrated the movie was on its themes, and Crowe's performance truly commands attention. As for the Best Picture thing... what's the use of complaining? The Academy Awards have never been about true merit anyway.

Eric
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I should have seen Matchstick Men tonight, but instead I caught Cabin Fever. Dear lord, what a mess.

Anyway, since we're talking Gladiator, I'm a big fan of the film. Crowe's commanding performance is a given, but Eric's right again about the use of archetypes in characters and story. I really thought the after-life imagery gave it a nice edge as well. I've been meaning to watch it again, so maybe I'll get a chance soon.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you love it; it's one my favorite films.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
Well, I should have seen Matchstick Men tonight, but instead I caught Cabin Fever. Dear lord, what a mess.

Yes, who is going to clean up all that flying flesh?

Eric
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:

Yes, who is going to clean up all that flying flesh?

Maybe that'll be the sequel: Cabin Fever Cleaners. :?

Hmm... That joke made no sense. I'm just going to walk away slowly and pretend I didn't say anything. Don't follow me. There's nothing... to... see... (Mark runs away.)

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 09.14.2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:

I had mixed thoughts about Cabin Fever upon leaving the theater (that ridiculously stupid final joke certainly left a bad taste in my mouth), but, overall, I really enjoyed it. It's not a great horror film, but it's a lot of fun if you're in the right mood. I think it's a much more successful homage to late '70s/early '80s era horror than, say, Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses (which, by the way, I was far too easy on in my review... did I really give that a B-?). I'm currently whipping up a review for the site.

Haven't seen Matchstick Men yet, but I probably will soon -- although Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Lost in Translation are higher on my priority list.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2