Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Punch-Drunk Love

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of Punch-Drunk Love?
It was excellent!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It was very good, but not as great as some say it is.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Hmm, it was okay, nothing special, though.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bah. Hoffman was the only good thing.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.11.2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Punch-Drunk Love Reply with quote

What do you think of Paul Thomas Anderson's latest outing, Punch-Drunk Love? Discuss.

In the truest Charlotesque sense, Barry Egan (played by Adam Sandler, in an unusual yet brilliant performance) is a tragic character whom everyone seems to hate, a shy and clumsy individual misunderstood by all whose life is constantly filled with misery, sadness, never-ending problems and emotional exasperation. Barry Egan is a quiet and socially awkward man with an office in an out-of-the-way warehouse. He is dedicated to his job as a wholesale toilet plunger salesman, he keeps a nice apartment, and he is obsessed with special offers on grocery store products. Despite all this, he somehow often manages to get into the strangest and most out-of-the-world situations. He cries for no apparent reason, he smashes windows with a hammer and is constantly abused by his seven sisters. He is challenged to explain the reasons for his actions, and it eventually becomes clear that Barry cannot control his often-violent impulses, a trait which is increasingly problematic. And it is precisely this sort of charlotism which director Paul Thomas Anderson that makes the film so compelling. Punch Drunk Love is not a simple picture; it?s also a character study and a damn fine one at that. Barry Egan is a solitary figure who is constantly telling himself that his life has to improve, but this won?t happen until love finds him. Comparisons with Charlie Chaplin?s creation, the mythic Charlot, are, in my humble opinion, inevitable. So when a mysterious woman comes into his life, his emotions go haywire, fluctuating between uncontrollable rage, lust and self-doubt. And his life will suddenly take a radical turn.

What makes the film so special is the absolute outrage and utter insanity of the moments that are exposed. Punch Drunk Love is at times totally absurd yet, somehow, the often implausible scenes that are displayed are made utterly believable by Anderson. The film takes the viewer to places we least expect to go, from the thrashing of a toilet by Barry in one of his many violent impulses in an expensive restaurant to, er, Hawaii. However, it is the unique singularity with which the film is characterised that distinguishes it from the rest. Because, there?s no denying it, Punch Drunk Love is no ordinary film. In an era where we are constantly being bombarded by money-taking blockbusters with lots of explosions and CGI, Anderson?s film comes as a refreshing and surprisingly original experience. And his love for cinema is ever-present in every frame. That?s a fact.

One of the elements of the film that most struck me was the acting, of course. Adam Sandler, in a role written specifically for him, demonstrates that he can indeed act in movies that do not rely on poo-poo jokes in order to makes us laugh. Instead, he opts for a more humane and profound performance that is quite mesmerising, really. What can I say, Adam Sandler shines. Every word, gesture, expression and nuance of his is genuinely perfect. I was quite stunned when I realised that he had not been Oscar-nominated. But it?s not just him who shows his acting abilities; it?s the supporting cast that stands out, too. Emily Watson (oooh, those beautiful blue eyes of hers), with her sweet British accent and magnificent composure, does a very fine job in portraying Egan?s love interest. And Philip Seymour Hoffman (a usual of Anderson?s) couldn?t get any better as the owner of a mattress company who gets in a row with Egan. He automatically confirms himself as one of today?s most talented actors.

Nonetheless, the movie isn?t just excellently acted; it?s also a delight to watch. The camerawork was magnificent and Anderson really shows off his visual talent. The guy has a gift for creating bizarre situations in the most unlikely places, and that?s a very rare thing. Not only that, but every scene in the movie is masterfully executed; take the soon-to-be-famous silhouette kiss sequence for example. The way it?s all done just makes you think, ?Isn?t it just a pleasure to see how a director can create such a joyous moment in a film?? What the film contains is magic, pure and real magic. That kiss scene must be one of the most glorious moments in cinema history. And Jon Brion?s music: something to be cherished. As subtle as it is odd, it uses everything at its disposal to reflect the shift from chaos to serenity in Barry's mind. Great stuff.

Now, I don?t know how this film would compare to Anderson?s previous outings like Boogie Nights or Magnolia (because of the mere fact that I have not seen them) but there?s not getting around it; this is truly excellent filmmaking.

Oddly appealing, surreal, giddily heartfelt, esoteric, funny and moving, Punch Drunk Love is a beautiful picture. It?s a romantic comedy, a love story, a tale about the pains and pleasures of life that is as wonderful as it is odd and fully satisfies. The film is quite a vision; had it been filmed by someone else, it would have probably turned out a mess, let?s face it. It?s dark yet colourful, inimitable and incredibly pleasing. The overall feeling of it is like when you eat a succulent chocolate brownie and you leave the spoon on the plate, full and somewhat overwhelmed, but deeply knowing that the whole experience was worth it. Winner of the Best Director award at Cannes 2002, Punch Drunk Love proves to be, without a doubt, the best film of 2002.

*****/*****
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.11.2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Punch-Drunk Love" was my third favorite movie of 2002 (after "Time Out" and then "Hero"). I'm a big fan of P.T. Anderson's work so far, and this continues his likable, outrageous, consistently surprising style; it also has one of the most unique visual schemes I've seen recently.
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.11.2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually seen either Boogie Nights or Magnolia. As a matter of fact, I have not seen any of Anderson's previous work.
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.11.2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it's the least of P.T.A.'s work thus far. He either didn't give himself enough time to develop everything he wanted or he expanded the basics of the story too much. Sandler's great, but as for the debate surrounding whether his performance is the result of brilliant acting or casting, I lean decidedly towards the latter.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.12.2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like P.T.'s work, but the whole moview doesn't completely work on the whole. I orginally rated it a 3/4, but then bumped it up to 3.5.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1