Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cabin Fever and Eli Roth interview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Cabin Fever and Eli Roth interview Reply with quote

I hated Cabin Fever, and after watching it, I wondered who in the hell was responsible for such a mess. Then I read this interview at Salon.com with director Eli Roth, and I think it made me hate the movie even more. His ideas about filmmaking are, well... I'll let you read it and see for yourself:

"Blood, guts, death, mayhem and nudity"

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from seeing Cabin Fever and I?m a little disappointed. I didn?t dislike it, necessarily, but it?s being marketed as a ?straight? horror movie when it?s really a comedy with blood and screaming -- no scares or suspense, and the characters are just a skosh more affable than counselors at Camp Crystal Lake. I haven?t read the interview yet, but I will.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I read it. What made you hate Cabin Fever more after the interview, other that the fact the Roth claims it's a scary movie when it isn't? I basically agree with his assessments of the state of the horror genre after the last half of the 80s and the bulk of the 90s. Hell, I was there.

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, agree with a lot of Roth's thoughts on horror. I stumbled across a better, more in-depth interview with him somewhere online, but I can't find it now. I like Cabin Fever and think it's a fun movie, but with all the enthusiastic hype I was more than a bit disappointed. Much of the humor, I think, is severely misguided, but some of it works. It's not scary or horrifying the way I'd hoped, but it definitely made me squirm, which counts for something. Eli Roth has talent, but I hope he has a better, perhaps more serious, horror film in him yet.
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
Okay, I read it. What made you hate Cabin Fever more after the interview, other that the fact the Roth claims it's a scary movie when it isn't? I basically agree with his assessments of the state of the horror genre after the last half of the 80s and the bulk of the 90s. Hell, I was there.

I agree with him on the state of horror films as well, but it's just his general attitude toward filmmaking that really dug under my skin.

And even with his reference to Maxim-esque pictorials, his comments on actresses who won't do nudity really rubbed me the wrong way:

"I'd come in and meet with these actresses and they'd be stunning and gorgeous and they could act and were perfect for the part and they'd say, 'But I won't do the nudity. It's exploitation.' They've just heard this term from their managers and don't understand it."

He later goes on to imply that nudity is a "requirement" of the horror genre, which is--as Roth would probably say--f***ing bulls***. He says, "The slasher films killed horror," but that mindset of gratuitous nudity being a staple comes from the slasher subgenre.

I'm amused that this ended up coming out the same year as the infinitely superior 28 Days Later--a film that reassured me of the potential of the horror genre--and even more amused when he criticizes Danny Boyle: "Even movies like '28 Days Later,' you will not find a single interview where [director Danny Boyle] calls it a horror film -- they call it a 'viral thriller'!" Amazingly, I did a quick web search, and the only time I found a reference to 28 Days Later as a "viral thriller" was in an interview with Roth.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concede, Mark, good points; Roth does say some lunk-headed things. I am happy, however, to see someone coming out and saying that slasher films killed horror. I completely agree, but most "horror fans" under the age of 17 believe horror began with Friday the 13th. God [sic.] forbid they can sit through Halloween without fidgeting, or have even bothered to watch Bride of Frankenstein.

Like Michael said, I hope Roth chooses a more "straight-faced" script for his next project. I think I would have really enjoyed Cabin Fever much more if I had picked it off the shelf at the video store and slapped it into the player with no expectations.

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I agree with you regarding his comments about nudity being a "requirement" for actresses and the horror genre. He sounds like a typical slasher-film fanboy in that regard.

Quote:
I'm amused that this ended up coming out the same year as the infinitely superior 28 Days Later--a film that reassured me of the potential of the horror genre--and even more amused when he criticizes Danny Boyle: "Even movies like '28 Days Later,' you will not find a single interview where [director Danny Boyle] calls it a horror film -- they call it a 'viral thriller'!" Amazingly, I did a quick web search, and the only time I found a reference to 28 Days Later as a "viral thriller" was in an interview with Roth.

Eli Roth actually really enjoyed/admired 28 Days Later, citing it a "damn good" movie in that other interview I read. In a recent Fangoria article, Danny Boyle says he wouldn't classify 28 Days Later as a horror film. Quoted from Fangoria #223, June:

-----------------------

"There are certain horrific things in it," he admits. "There's a killing fury within it that is very violent, and some very unpleasant moments, but it's not a horror film as such. There are ingredients in it that are horror, that are 'zombie' if you like, but I don't think it's a zombie film, and I don't want it to be thought of that way because zombie fans will be deeply disappointed, since it's not that kind of movie."

-----------------------

No mention of the phrase "viral thriller," though.

And, yes, 28 Days Later is far superior to Cabin Fever. I think 28 Days Later, May, and Bubba Ho-tep are the three best horror films to see a U.S. theatrical release this year so far. Not surprisingly, these are all films that are much more than traditional horror fare and some people would even hesitate to label as horror in the first place. I, personally, have a pretty broad definition of horror.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep is coming to a theatre about 45 minutes away from me and Bruce Campell will be doing some interviews; I should go.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
Bubba Ho-Tep is coming to a theatre about 45 minutes away from me and Bruce Campell will be doing some interviews; I should go.

If Bruce Campbell is going to be there to introduce the film, don't miss it (he's a riot and you'll have a wonderful time even if you don't love the film). If he's not gonna introduce it, I'd still recommend going, as there's no telling when Bubba Ho-tep will finally wind up on video/DVD (I wouldn't expect it any sooner than mid-2004).

Just so everyone knows, the Bubba release dates announced so far:

-----------------------------

September 19 - SEATTLE - Landmark's Varsity Theater

September 19 - PORTLAND - Cinema 21 Theater

September 26 - NEW YORK CITY - Angelika Film Center

October 3 - LOS ANGELES - Landmark's Nuart Theater/ Irvine - University 6

October 3 - SAN DIEGO - Landmark's Ken Theater

October 10 - SAN FRANCISCO - The Castro Theater

October 10 - BERKELEY - Landmark's California Theater

October 10 - SANTA ROSA - Roxy 14 Theater

October 17 - CHICAGO - Landmark's Century Centre Cinema

October 17 - SANTA CRUZ - Nickelodeon Theater

October 17 - DETROIT - Landmark's Main Art Theater

October 24 - AUSTIN - The Alamo Drafthouse Theater

November 7 - ATLANTA - Landmark's Midtown Art Theater

-----------------------------

More cities/dates may be announced in the future.
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
I think 28 Days Later, May, and Bubba Ho-tep are the three best horror films to see a U.S. theatrical release this year so far.

I need to rent May. And here's hoping we get a Bubba Ho-tep screener, because I'm fairly sure I won't be able to find it anywhere around here. That listing at the Landmark Century in Chicago would be nice if not for the fact that I'm in Whitewater, Wisconsin. Evil or Very Mad

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Dujsik wrote:
And here's hoping we get a Bubba Ho-tep screener, because I'm fairly sure I won't be able to find it anywhere around here. That listing at the Landmark Century in Chicago would be nice if not for the fact that I'm in Whitewater, Wisconsin. Evil or Very Mad

I had the exact same thought, Mark. Access is a constant source of frustration for me.

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently got a job at the Oriental Landmark Theatre in Milwaukee, so if any of you Wisconsinites want an advance screening of some sort, I think we can arrange something........wink wink, nudge nudge, grin grin, say no more.
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
I just recently got a job at the Oriental Landmark Theatre in Milwaukee, so if any of you Wisconsinites want an advance screening of some sort, I think we can arrange something........wink wink, nudge nudge, grin grin, say no more.

Hmm... Smile

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:

My goodness, I practically keep a cot in a back room... you bet I'm interested.

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.20.2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:

Hey Matt,

I saw Thirteen today at the Oriental (and then booked over to the Downer for Step Into Liquid). I was hoping to catch you at work, but no luck! What are your typical hours? Tickets? Concessions? Projection?

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2