Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most idiotic comments you have heard regarding movies

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Most idiotic comments you have heard regarding movies Reply with quote

Okay, here are a few quotes my "friends" (dare I call 'em that?) with no taste or true knowledge in film said to me:

"Reservoir Dogs is bollocks. Nothing happens, it's just a bunch of messed up guys in a warehouse."

"Pulp Fiction's absolute shit. You just don't know what's going on, there's so many things happening at the same time."

"Goodfellas is crap. It's boring."

"Requiem for a Dream is the worst film I've ever seen. Besides, they amputate the guy's wrong arm, it's so funny!" (Evidently not true by any means)

"Bowling for Columbine is soo bad. Basically, it's about guns, it's just crap. If you see it it's your funeral."

"The Shining's crap because it's just so random. Oh, and it's not scary at all. In fact it's pretty funny, although I don't think it was meant to be."

"You haven't seen any of the American Pie movies?! You're such an arse, you really don't know what you're missing!"

"The Tuxedo is actually very good!"

"Raging Bull is sh!t. The only good bits were the fight scenes. I mean, who wants to see some guy beat up his wife throughout the whole film? It really is crap. Besides, it's in black and white."

And I'll also include this conversation I had with a bunch of friends this morning, though it's not a dumb comment or anything of the sort:

Friend: "So have you seen Snatch?"

The Third M?n:" No."

F: "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells?"

The Third M?n: "No."

F: "I can't believe it! They're the best films ever!"

The Third M?n: "So, I don't want to see them."

F: "But why not?"

The Third M?n: "Because I have no interest whatsoever in seeing them, that's why."

F: "But you're missing out, really, they're amazing."

The Third M?n: "I just don't want to see them. They don't attract me. They're not appealing enough to me. I don't care, there's lots of other and better movies that I want to see."

F:"Yeah, and how can you say they suck if you haven't even seen them?"

The Third M?n: "I'm not. I'll judge the films after I watch them (if I ever get to), but not before. I didn't say they sucked, I just don't want to see them."

F: "You're a dick."

And to all this I say: Rolling Eyes
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, no replies? Don't you have any ignorant (movie-wise) friends who think they know it all?
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive them. Art has many functions, and students of film learn to embrace them all. Most folks, on the other hand, are content to merely engage with movies as escapist entertainment. That's okay--they are entitled to miss out. I'm sure they have other passions.

Still, my favorite comment was quoted in a piece I wrote earlier this year. What's scary is that her attitude is so common that it is widely assumed to be true.

Eric
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.15.2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Forgive them. Art has many functions, and students of film learn to embrace them all. Most folks, on the other hand, are content to merely engage with movies as escapist entertainment. That's okay--they are entitled to miss out. I'm sure they have other passions.

Yes, I couldn't agree more but what bothers me and appalls me to a large extent is that some friends of mine insult me because of the mere fact that I haven't seen any of the American Pie films. That's quite stupid, really. I always think, "When will they actually see a film like 2001: A Space Odyssey and not call it "dumb?" Though they might not be so passionate about movies as I am (maybe obsessed would be a more suitable word) I just can't believe that having seen a small amount of films (the vas majority of them purely mainstream films) they think they know it all, when, in fact, they truly do not.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hey...They have SEEN them...so I guess that's better than nothing. I'd have to admit, I'm tempted to agree with them on the Bowling for Columbine statement, even though I don't think it's "absolute shit."

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.16.2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've seen them because I lended the DVDs to them. That's why. They's scarcely convinced.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1