Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site Structures

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Site Structures Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you thought on this. I was forced to shut down Bucket Reviews today. Primarily, because it was time consuming. As I have expressed in the past, even though I believe I'm a good student in English and such--but I did get a C in math, and, that is a problem. I probably spend 100 hours seeing movies I didn't want to see, and 100 hours, my friends, will get you a whole lot of studying Sad. Anyways, that's not the issue--on with the point:

I'm going to start up a new site, with my thoughts on films, without having to do full length reviews, or having to update every single second of the day.

Should I structure it in the format of a forum? a screening log?

Any good ideas?

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well, I'll just do capsule reviews.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is very time consuming, I agree with you. I myself am doing a film website but I just review the films I want to see. I don't go to the cinema to see a movie that I already know isn't worth it. Just write about the films you truly love, and go see the films that really interest you. Don't just go to the cinema for the hell of it, because there really is no point. I love your website, and, as you said, you reviewed more than a hundred film in 2002 alone. That's an amazing feat, but there's no denying that you spent (or rather, your parents did) lots of money on visual diarrhea. Anyway, I hope you understand, and if I were you I'd go according to the plan, it's a very good idea. Good luck. Cool

By the way, I also get an A in English every time. Considering that I've only been speaking it for about three years, what can I say, I'm excedingly happy.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in Spain, right?

View My Reviews
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm Spanish but I've been living in the UK for exactly three years and one month. Why?
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.26.2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:
I don't go to the cinema to see a movie that I already know isn't worth it. Just write about the films you truly love, and go see the films that really interest you. Don't just go to the cinema for the hell of it, because there really is no point.

What films aren't worth it? There's always a point, because the most interesting thing about filmgoing is investigating our personal responses to a movie; it exists as a springboard for self-reflection about our own values and biases. The image is merely a stimulus for developing our critical and theoretical faculties. Any film serves this purpose--if a picture happens to also be good, that's merely bonus.

I literally have never regretted seeing a picture--and I once endured Booty Call, That Darn Cat, and McHale's Navy back-to-back-to-back. (To steal from Steve Martin in Planes, Trains: Now "I can take anything.")

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to Eric's post, I have to ask how can anyone possibly know a film "isn't worth it" if he hasn't seen it? No offense, but that's just snobbery. It's good to be able to appreciate the classics, but just because something isn't heralded by critics and film scholars as a masterpiece doesn't mean it isn't worth watching or can't be enjoyed; or, more importantly, that it can?t offer something, if only to you personally as an individual.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in complete agreement.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 09.27.2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you--if only I had the time.

Third Man, I assumed you lived in Spain because you were talking about living in Europe, and I figured that you were Spanish, because you were reading two Spanish novels.

Now it makes sense--I was wondering how you could be so great at English in only three years, if you had been living in a Spanish speaking country.

View My Reviews
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1