Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School of Rock

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 3:19 am    Post subject: School of Rock Reply with quote

I just barely caught a screening of "School of Rock" tonight. It's cut-and-dry, predictable, and quite formulaic, but damn, it's fun: energetic, likable, good-hearted, nostalgic. When Christina Aguilera and Puff Daddy (both of whom the movie gently mocks) are some of the most popular musicians in America today, "School of Rock"'s emphatic, if cliched, celebration of Led Zeppelin, The Who, the rebellion of rock 'n' roll, and wholesome anarchy is very inspiring.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I'm catching this on Friday, and looking forward to it. Love Jack Black.

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jack Black. He's one of a small handful of current movie goofballs that I find genuinely funny and appealing. And I'm also a Richard Linklater fan (Dazed and Confused and Before Sunrise being my favorites from him), so I'm eager to check out School of Rock. Anyone else hear the rumors about Linklater planning a sequel to Before Sunrise? I don't know if there's any truth to those rumors, but I think that's a terrible, terrible idea.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think comparing Black (who I also like a lot) to Seann William Scott (who I dislike a lot) says a lot about the difference between desperation and real goofball talent.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
I think comparing Black (who I also like a lot) to Seann William Scott (who I dislike a lot) says a lot about the difference between desperation and real goofball talent.

Even though Jack Black is a lot better, I don't think Scott is the one to criticize. By default, aren't Shallow Hal and Orange County better than Dude Where's My Car and Bulletproof Monk? Too many people can't pick a good script; but, for him, it's not really the script that matters. Business can be admirable, too.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten used to Scott. Like Danny pointed out, he's just really bad at picking scripts. I thought he was actually kinda amusing in The Rundown, and, so help me, the first two American Pies. (Haven't seen Wedding.) I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to see a movie just because he's in it, or sit through one, for that matter, as was the case with Dude,...?

-David Cronenberg
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. Scott does indeed pick up terrible scripts, but I don't think he improves upon them, either; I thought "Shallow Hall" and "Saving Silverman" were both pretty poorly written, but Black is very funny in both of them. A great many people pick up bad scripts every now and then (indeed, it's logical and rational - we all need the cash); the difference is whether or not you can improve upon the material.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
Well, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. Scott does indeed pick up terrible scripts, but I don't think he improves upon them, either; I thought "Shallow Hall" and "Saving Silverman" were both pretty poorly written, but Black is very funny in both of them.

Good points, although even Jack couldn't get me to sit all the way through Saving Silverman -- bleah.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that one. Laughing Rolling Eyes Embarassed

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.01.2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both Black and Scott. As with the Rock, no one is going to confuse them with great actors, but also like the Rock, both have a likable screen presence. Sometimes that's enough, I think. I tend to be very forgiving of performers, though, especially when their back is against the wall of a terrible script.

In terms of preferences, I like Black more than Scott--his strutting goofball schtick seems more inspired, more spirited, more able to locate the irony in a situation; his flippancy seems driven more by joy than annoyance--yet I'm more likely to see a formulaic, juvenile comedy if either one of them is in it.

I'm dying to see School of Rock. I didn't care for Newton Boys or SubUrbia, but I really like all of Linklater's other films, especially Tape, Waking Life, Before Sunrise, and Slacker. I wouldn't put Dazed and Confused in that category, but I still like it a lot.

Eric
filmsRpriceless
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 10.02.2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite its many holes in the screenplay, I had a helluva time watching it and Jack Black is the movie, so I kinda thought I'd get annoyed after a while, but watching him work, I was anything but annoyed. Read my review if interested.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.04.2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it yesterday, had a ball. I liked its message of self-expression and individuality in the face of uncompromising social structure. Joan Cusack's performance was actually quite remarkable.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.01.2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to it on Wednesday, and felt mixed. I've finished my review, but won't post it until Sunday with the rest.

View My Reviews
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1