Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Who's Tommy.... greatest musical EVER

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
likeadeadduck
Grip

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 1:55 am    Post subject: The Who's Tommy.... greatest musical EVER Reply with quote

The Who's Tommy is a genius work of art wriiten by and starring one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. the story is amazing and the songs are incredible. man i love this movie.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like "Tommy" a great deal better than "Pink Floyd The Wall" - I think "Tommy" is much more valuable as a movie (as an album, they're debatable).

Greatest musical ever? Well, it's up there, but personally, I'd have a different top list. "Singin' in the Rain," "Top Hat," "Swing Time," "Dancer in the Dark," "Stop Making Sense," and "Camelot" would be at the top. (I honestly, truly don't like "The Sound of Music" and "My Fair Lady".)
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote for Singin' in the Rain, but closely followed by Meet Me in St. Louis, A Hard Day's Night, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Fiddler on the Roof, The Wizard of Oz, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Camus' Black Orpheus. That's a weird list, I grant, and I also acknowledge a heavy emphasis on expert sentiment--but certainly the musical form lends itself to joyous celebrations?

I can't stomach The Wall.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like The Wall.

Favorites Ever: The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' In The Rain (though it's not as high), West Side Story, Chicago.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I forgot about Hard Day's Night and Yellow Submarine. They're up there.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
likeadeadduck
Grip

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancer in the dark was a great movie.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Dancer in the Dark" did a lot more in revolutionizing the musical genre than "Moulin Rouge" and "Chicago," which are unjustly more celebrated; I'd say that "Dancer in the Dark" is one of the best movies of the 21st century so far.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Pink Floyd's The Wall. Don't dig The Who at all, but the movie Tommy is aight. My favorite musicals are probably -- along with The Wall -- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Little Shop of Horrors, Grease ( Embarassed hey, it's my wife's favorite movie, and it's sort of grown on me), and, erm, The Little Mermaid. Well, I really don't care for musicals that much. I did appreciate Dancer in the Dark, but it's one of those stories in which the author is obviously out to martyr the herion at all costs, in typical melodrama fashion, so I could only allow myself to get emotionally involved so far. I did enjoy Chicago and Moulin Rouge, but I only needed to watch them one time.

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT ONE!? I'm actually in the middle of writing my seasonly retrospective for it.

View My Reviews
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vouch for The Little Mermaid, too. Forgot about that one. I'm with Matt regarding Dancer in the Dark, especially as an unacknowledged influence on the current crop of musicals, although I'm a little hesitant to call it one of the best of the new century. Time is the great sifter--we'll see what we're still talking about a decade, a quarter-century from now.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.05.2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I'll vouch for The Little Mermaid, too. Forgot about that one. I'm with Matt regarding Dancer in the Dark, especially as an unacknowledged influence on the current crop of musicals, although I'm a little hesitant to call it one of the best of the new century. Time is the great sifter--we'll see what we're still talking about a decade, a quarter-century from now.

Eric

Never got to that one. They regularly air it on HBO, however...maybe I'll catch it on that.

View My Reviews
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.06.2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I'd vote for Singin' in the Rain...

I'll be next in line to vote with you. I caught the stage version of this last night. The producion left a lot to be desired, but furthermore, the material simply doesn't transfer well to the stage, which is disappointing but expected.

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.06.2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Spinal Tap. Gotta add that one.

"I saw her on Monday, 'twas my lucky bun day

You know what I mean

I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day

You know what I mean..."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1