Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jack Valenti: Piratebuster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Jack Valenti: Piratebuster Reply with quote

You must have heard by now about Jack Valenti's plan to stop film piracy in its tracks by banning screeners. Critics (natch) and small independent film companies are up in arms, since screeners are very nearly the only way independents can guarantee their smaller movies will receive consideration by Academy members come awards time. What makes the situation worse is, like racial profiling, it focuses attention in an irrelevant direction, allowing perpetrators to slide under the radar while the innocent are unduly harrassed. There's even the suggestion that this has less to do with eliminating piracy, and more to do with restricting Oscar nominations to studio pictures.

Click here for Roger Ebert's reaction, and here for Chris Parry's salient dismantling of Valenti's reasoning at HollywoodBitchslap.com.

So, is Valenti finally revealing himself as an errand boy for Hollywood?

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Valenti: Piratebuster Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
So, is Valenti finally revealing himself as an errand boy for Hollywood?

Replace finally with yet again. I've been most amused by his stoic arrogance in the face of nearly unanimous loathing of this new maxim--he must actually believe that maintaining the integrity of his dictum means more than whether it will actually accomplish anything. Most of us recognized him as an out-of-touch businessman (as opposed to patron of the arts) long ago; let's hope this uproar speeds him into retirement.

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Valenti: Piratebuster Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:

Click here for Roger Ebert's reaction, and here for Chris Parry's salient dismantling of Valenti's reasoning at HollywoodBitchslap.com.

My favorite quote from Parry: "Before Night Falls, The Contender, Shadow of the Vampire, Almost Famous, You Can Count on Me, Billy Elliot, Pollock, Malena, Quills, Dancer in the Dark - how many of these worthy 2001 Oscar nominees did YOU see in theaters? Not many? Personally, I didn't catch one of them on the big screen, even though I'm a film critic."

Man. I saw every single one of those in the theater. And I'm not a paid film critic. And I have a fulltime job unrelated to watching movies. And I live in Wisconsin.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Valenti: Piratebuster Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:

Replace finally with yet again.

LOL. Okay, so I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for too long. While I've always thought his positions regarding the MPAA's rating system were wrong, I was skeptical about the notion that he harbored any ulterior motives. Now, with this screener fiasco, I can only conclude that he's either an arrogant bonehead or Big Studio lap dog.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, I recall a story Frank Henelotter relates on the commentary track for Brain Damage: After he submitted the movie to the ratings board he received a call from a women who told him, "Congratulations. Yours in the first movie to get a rating of 'S.'" "For "sex?" he asked, thinking of the infamous "head scene." "No," she responds. "For 'shit.'"

Is this the behavior of an unbiased organization?

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valenti is insane, no doubt about that, but the screener ban idea actually originated from Warner Bros. exec Barry Meyer. Warner doesn't currently have an indie division like the other major studios, so it obviously doesn't affect them the same way it does the others. The screener ban will definitely hurt the chances of many limited-release films to gain recognition in the upcoming awards season from all of the awards-giving organizations, not just the Academy Awards. In a perfect world, all the voters of such groups would be able to easily see all the potential awards contenders in a movie theater, without the aid of screeners, but that's simply not gonna happen. Some possible awards contenders will only be playing in a city or two (NY and/or LA) before the end of the year.

And if this is really about preventing piracy, why does it include movies that are already available on video/DVD?
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.16.2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Valenti's just championing the cause. Still, he really ought to listen to reason, especially when people are offering much better ideas for dealing screener-based piracy. And, yeah, Michael, the fact that this ban also extends to films on DVD is mighty suspicious.

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 10.21.2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA Film Critics Association won't give out awards this year unless ban is lifted:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ap/20031019/106661424000.html

Will other groups follow their lead? Will this have any impact whatsoever?
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.21.2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about the LA Critics' decision earlier today. Unfortunately, they may be playing directly into Valenti's hands--wouldn't the majors love to even further marginalize critics and others who love movies for art rather than commerce?

If the screener ban does indeed limit the exposure of independent pictures, doesn't that leave critics as one of their few remaining champions? More than ever, the LA Critics ought to clamor to be heard, not silence themselves.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.21.2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the now popular anti-Valenti graphic that's going around on my site. It's good to hear that some are finally taking a stand, even if it isn't in the best way possible.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.21.2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
It's good to hear that some are finally taking a stand, even if it isn't in the best way possible.

True enough. I just hope the LA Critics haven't overestimated their clout with Valenti and the major studios, at the expense of their clout with American film lovers.

Eric
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.22.2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest as reported today by IMDb:

"The members of the Motion Picture Association of America have reached a compromise agreement on screeners and will permit them to be sent out on videocassette only to members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences with an embedded security feature that would identify the recipient if a cassette falls into the hands of bootleggers, Daily Variety reported today (Tuesday). The trade publication said that the new policy, expected to be announced this week, will bar screeners for other groups, including members of the press and the unions and guilds which also hold awards screenings (presumably including the Golden Globes.) Variety indicated that the compromise is unlikely to satisfy independent filmmakers who, it said, plan to proceed with antitrust lawsuits against the film studios unless the ban is lifted. "
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.18.2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More news from IMDb:

"MPAA chief Jack Valenti is likely to share the job of running the MPAA with another individual -- most likely Billy Tauzin, currently the powerful Louisiana Congressman who heads the House Energy and Commerce Committee -- beginning in January, the Los Angeles Times reported today (Friday). The newspaper, citing unnamed sources, said that Valenti, 82, is likely to turn over the job of CEO to Tauzin (who would also receive the title of president), while retaining the chairman's title and continuing to oversee the movie ratings system. The Times also observed that under the law, if Tauzin is in fact hired by the MPAA, he would be unable to lobby Congress for one year. Presumably Valenti would continue to do so in his place in the interim. "

The end is within sight.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.18.2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

-David Cronenberg
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.18.2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now since he's given them to the Academy, I'm not "offically" mad at him...but I'm still pretty pissed off.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2