Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milwaukee Film Festival

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Milwaukee Film Festival Reply with quote

Since there are so many Wisconsinites around here, I thought I'd share the link for the inaugural Milwaukee Film Festival:

http://www.milwaukeefilmfest.org/

Most of the screenings are at the Oriental and Downer, while a few are at the Times Cinema and the UWM Union Theatre.

I'm most excited for Lilya-4-Ever, Unknown Pleasures, Princess Blade, Under the Skin of the City, Bonhoeffer, and I'm Tareneh 15. (We'll see how many I can actually get to.)

I called this afternoon to learn the price for a full festival pass: $150. As I explained to a colleague, stamina isn't an issue but time is. Since there's no way I have the time to see enough films or lectures, a full pass doesn't seem feasible.... but maybe I could dip into those sick days I have stockpiled...

Is anybody up for a marathon session?

Eric

Last edited by beltmann on 10.28.2003 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother lives in Milwaukee and regularly gets to see many movies I usually have to wait for video to see. I'm jealous, I tells ya, stark raving jealous.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's the first time I've heard of anyone being envious of Wisconsin, a vast cinematic wasteland only partially rescued by Milwaukee. One of my pet peeves is the way so many films never arrive here, or only arrive long after the national discussion about them is over. (I prefer to view it as shortsightedness on the part of elitist distributors, not Midwestern audiences.) I guess jealousy is on a sliding scale, though: I'm constantly eyeing Chicago with envy, but my friends there look to New York and sigh.

Eric
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically just have access to mainstream and studio stuff unless I drive about a hour and a half, and then maybe I might get a chance to see something that's not topping the box office charts. I can't complain too much, since we get to see most of the big movies -- well, we get to see them eventually (still waiting for Mystic River. But, you know, providence forbid I get to see a foreign movie on the big screen.

-David Cronenberg
Mark Dujsik
Director

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I will go to a film festival. One day...

--Francois Truffaut

10 Best Films of 2006

Mark Reviews Movies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I guess jealousy is on a sliding scale, though: I'm constantly eyeing Chicago with envy, but my friends there look to New York and sigh.

One and a half more years and I'll be driving downtown and considering going up to LA every day of the weekend.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 10.28.2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to sneak into some of the Milwaukee International Film Festival showings at the Oriental when I'm working without having to, you know, pay or anything. I can only hope. I really want to see Lilya 4-Ever also.

Milwaukee, much less Wisconsin, is certainly not the film capital of the United States, but between Riverwest Film and Video, the Oriental and Downer, the Times, and the UWM Union, there are some good opportunities; until I get the money to head out to New York City (someday!!!), Milwaukee will do.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.06.2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share some brief information about the Milwaukee Festival that I whipped together last night:

https://www.flipsidearchive.com/miff.html

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.07.2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News from the first night of the festival:

We premiered "Reeseville" last night at the Oriental to a gigantic crowd; more than 800 moviegoers for that single showing. All of you Wisconsinites may have seen stuff on the news last night about it, but the reception was grand: we had people from Reeseville that were in the movie attending the showing, as well as visitors from all over Wisconsin and the Midwest. It was quite an event.

Did anyone here attend it (Eric? Mark?). I wanted to, but hence, I was working at it.

"Chump Change" shows tonight at the Oriental again, if anyone is interested.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.18.2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

It was great seeing you several times throughout the festival, even though we hardly had any time to talk. One of these times we'll get to have an actual conversation. What did you think of DISTANT? I'm still sorting out my thoughts, but it's growing on me--the more I think about it the more I want to see it again.

Mr. Smith and I saw several more films over at UWM, and completely disagreed about them. I loved UNKNOWN PLEASURES and hated NIJINSKY, but he had the complete opposite reaction. Did you happen to catch anything after FLOWER OF EVIL?

I was bummed about missing BONHOEFFER, but I figured I'll be able to rent that one, and I doubted I'd be able to see I'M TARANEH, 15 on DVD.

Did anyone else attend the festival at any point?

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.18.2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

It was indeed a pleasure, though as you said our meetings were mostly passing hellos, which is unfortunate. I really liked "Distant" a lot - it was pretty gloomy, but that suited the characters and the director's style. I would like to see it again also, because I think there are many things in it I didn't really notice completely.

Unfortunately, I only saw that and "The Flower of Evil," along with a collection of short films which I was really disappointed in (it was one of the "World Shorts" programs, but all of them were American, and all of them were pretty forgettable). I actually liked "The Flower of Evil" more - it's more of a conversational comedy than a thriller, and I liked that. It makes something delightful out of a story containing murder, incest, adultery, and political sabotage. The definition of elegance.

But those were the only two I caught - I really wanted to see "How Harry Became a Tree" and "Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself," but saw neither. Hopefully they will return to the land of the Midwest someday.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.18.2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
I really wanted to see "How Harry Became a Tree"

That one plays sporadically at our local theatre; I should catch it sometime.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.29.2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
Between Riverwest Film and Video, the Oriental and Downer, the Times, and the UWM Union, there are some good opportunities; until I get the money to head out to New York City (someday!!!), Milwaukee will do.

I've never been to Riverwest, but I know about it, and wish I had seen Xav Leplae's I'm Bobby at the festival. It sounded quite wonderful. Matt, have you ever talked with Xav?

Eric
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 11.29.2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't, actually, nor was I able to see "I'm Bobby," unfortunately. It sounded really wonderful.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1