Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do you buy DVDs?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 01.20.2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Where do you buy DVDs? Reply with quote

Just curious. Where do you shop for DVDs most often?

For me, it's usually Amazon.com or DeepDiscountDVD.com, but I also get a lot of DVDs through the Columbia House DVD Club (using the "join, fulfill, quit, and repeat" routine). I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD at a brick-and-mortar store, but I used to buy quite a few at Best Buy.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.20.2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All over the place. On the web (many at Amazon and eBay), at stores, from friends... and used DVDs are my preference. Since I purchase so many, cut rate prices are a must. Same reason I only attend matinees, and never buy food. (To me, that bucket of popcorn looks more like a second ticket.)

What I really need is a patron-of-the-arts-viewing.

Eric
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.20.2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
Same reason I only attend matinees, and never buy food. (To me, that bucket of popcorn looks more like a second ticket.)

I got away with using a free large popcorn coupon for a free ticket today. Kind of sensible, though. I only get snacks when I'm there with someone else, and they want to pay for it. Heh. I always go to either $4 or $6 shows, except the art-houses kill ya on admission prices here.

I usually buy pre-rented DVDs, to tell you the truth. And I hardly ever shop online. A new Borders came into town though. Pricey, but they have some pretty rare DVDs, actually.

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.20.2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually Amazon.com when on-line. When I'm shopping "live" I go to Best Buy or Suncoast, but must drive an hour and a half to get to those stores. If the movie I want is a major release, I sometimes stop off at Hollywood Video (BAN BLOCKBUSTER), where I also sometimes, like Danny, pick up pre-rented copies of movies I like but don't want to shell out full-price for, or, on impluse, Wal-Mart.

-David Cronenberg
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 01.20.2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
...or, on impluse, Wal-Mart.

I avoid Wal-Mart--we have one of those massive Supercenters here, which seems to contain an entire village inside the walls--for ideological reasons, but I must confess I will sometimes stop to see what DVDs are selling cheap. I've found some really great titles for under $6, like Casualties of War, The Ice Storm, The Great Santini, The Tenant, Places in the Heart, and, best of all, Rambo III.

I virtually never rent from Blockbuster (again, for ideological reasons), but I buy a lot of used DVDs there. Perhaps that's placing my personal agenda ahead of my political agenda, but as long as DVD companies are price-gouging us, I can tolerate the hypocrisy within myself. Danny, I spend much time in Borders (bookstores are my domain), but you are right--despite the selection, they're so pricey I don't think I've ever purchased anything there except as gifts.

Eric
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 01.22.2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick it to the man, Beltmann!
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 02.20.2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get my DVDs from Play.com, WHSmiths or HMV.
Al_Bundy_007
Key Grip

PostPosted: 02.28.2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mine at places like Best Buy and Media Play.
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy 85% of my DVDs from a little indie store here in NY called Laserland, who always cater to my needs as a DVD addict. I also occasionally get DVDs from trades and every now-and-then, from Columbia House.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1