Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something's Gotta Give: A Brief Review

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurosawa Fan
Grip

PostPosted: 02.27.2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Something's Gotta Give: A Brief Review Reply with quote

Ah yes, another film that lasted 5 minutes too long. What the hell is with the films this year? Don't people know when to just end it anymore?

Anyway, this film works strictly because of its flawless casting. Jack Nicholson was obvious. Hell, the part had to be written just for him, it's his life. Diane Keaton, however, has been less than popular. A more obvious choice would be perhaps Hellen Mirren or Sissy Spacek, but Keaton was perfect. Her comedic timing is just as good as her classic comedies and she is fully deserving of the Academy nod(though I would be a bit perturbed if she won).

But not only the leads, the supporters were perfect for this film as well. Amanda Peet is just innocent enough for the role, and was a spunky, refreshing addition to the film. Keanu, who I normally have a rather strong distaste for, was easily ignorable and may have even made the film better. God I hate to admit that. Frances McDormand was underutilized, yet her part was the perfect length. This may be the only miscasting in the film, because due to her reputation and ability I expected her to have a more vital role.

The film itself was pretty unoriginal. It's nothing we haven't seen a thousand times before. The script had moments, both good and bad. Overall, aside from the casting and performance the film was underwhelming.

You just can't look past that cast though. They really carried this film to a plateau that it normally never would reach. Without them, it wouldn't even have been worth seeing.

As for that ending, why on earth would they extend it that extra two minutes? The film seemed to part on an extraordinary final shot, but then extended to an all too blatant and horribly sappy epilogue, one that tops the charts as most unnecessary this year.

When you get down to it, the film is worth seeing, but not worth owning. It may not even be worth watching twice, as many of the jokes would consistently become less humorous, but for a one time piece of entertainment it works well enough.

Anyone else catch this one? If so, what were your thoughts.

They'd probably put my head in a guillotine

But it's alright Ma,

It's life and life only
Al_Bundy_007
Key Grip

PostPosted: 02.29.2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**/****

Edward Scissorhands (3rd) - ****

Seven Samurai- ****

From Dusk Till Dawn(2nd) - **1/2

Passion of Christ- ***

Rounders- ***1/2
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1