Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A sad day for all Spaniards...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.11.2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: A sad day for all Spaniards... Reply with quote

As a Spaniard, I am profoundly grieved. I was born in Madrid and lived there for 12 years -- since 2000 I've been living in the UK, but this July I'm moving back. Spain is a wonderful country, but since the '70s a terrorist group has been frightening the nation with their constant killings.

I only found out this morning. Yes, it's horrible. There are few and yet many words to describe this act of sheer malice. I hate ETA with all my heart as does the vast majority of Spain. To tell you the truth, we had somewhat "got used" to their terrorist attacks, but this one was unprecedented and on such a large scale that, well, no-one could have predicted it. Who can induce such horrific, cowardly and brutal killings? Why kill people for no reason at all? If ETA want independence they're not going to get it through mass anihilation. I just fail to understand how the human being can create such sadism and destruction. This goes to show how flawed and apprehensive we all are, deep inside. I hope we have sufficient strength to resist and fight back. President Jose Maria Aznar has already said that "the 11th of March, 2004 lives now in infamy" and that the only horizon for these terrorist are "the prison walls". This is a sad day for all of Spain.

This just makes me proud of what I am: a Spaniard; but at the same time it has taught me how some people have the "guts", if you will, to create pure evil. This is one of ETA's many examples, but is definitely their biggest thus far. Let's just hope things like these are not repeated in the future.

Peace out.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.11.2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm profoundly sorry to hear about the attack, Mr. Lime. The radio just reported it might be action of Moslem extremists rather than ETA. Not that that's any more reassuring. No one you know was involved in the attack, I hope?

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.11.2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, no. Most of my family lives there, in Madrid, but nowhere near where it took place.

I heard, yes. Could be Al Qaeda, though one wonders why...
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can we say? Our sincerest sympathies, of course. Humans continue to behave beastly towards one another.

If I may ask, what prompted your planned return to Spain this summer?

Eric
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
If I may ask, what prompted your planned return to Spain this summer?

Eric

We came to England in late 2000, my family and I [my parents, my two brothers and my two sisters] because my dad was offered a job in the company he works for [Lilly] for which he'd obtain more money. We've been here for nearly four years now, and my dad's company says that it's okay if we go back to our home country, since he can get his job back there. Still, living in the UK has been a blast. I came without almost any knowledge of the English language and now... [!!]
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third M?n wrote:
Still, living in the UK has been a blast. I came without almost any knowledge of the English language and now... [!!]

You should be very proud of your grasp of the language, Mr. Lime. Based solely on your posts, you seem to have it pretty much nailed. Fluency in two languages will open up the world for you.

-David Cronenberg
The Third M?n
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
You should be very proud of your grasp of the language, Mr. Lime. Based solely on your posts, you seem to have it pretty much nailed. Fluency in two languages will open up the world for you.

Thanks. I'm good at languages in general really; I do Latin and French, too. But yes, I agree that knowing English and Spanish is a very helpful thing.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with NW, Mr. Lime. I've been impressed with your fluency. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned you at school a few times, especially to those that [ahem] have a very limited grasp of their first language. Very Happy

Eric
stefanieduckwitz
Director

PostPosted: 03.12.2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't make fun of me! Embarassed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1