Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hip-Hop

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Hip-Hop Reply with quote

Does anyone else on this board listen to hip-hop? Who are your favorite artists? Albums?

I like:

OutKast

The Roots

Mos Def

Talib Kweli

Jay-Z

Cee-Lo

Nas

Wyclef Jean (and The Fugees)

Ice Cube

Run DMC

Eminem

Jurassic 5

Public Enemy

Common

Wu-Tang

A Tribe Called Quest

Beastie Boys

Kanye West

Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five

Notorious B.I.G.

There are way too many to list, but these artists are my most listened to. I know i'm not the only one here who listens to hip hop. I also listen to a lot of Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, Metallica, Nina Simone, Goblin, Ennio Morricone, Jimi Hendrix, White Stripes, Jimmy Cliff etc. and I listen to a lot of Blaxploitation soundtracks from artists like Bobby Womack, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, and Isaac Hayes etc.

Last edited by Fred C. Dobbs on 03.16.2004 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hip-Hop Reply with quote

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
I listen to a lot of Blaxploitation soundtracks from artists like Bobby Womack, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, and Isaac Hayes etc.

Aside from OutKast, I don't listen to much hip-hop these days. I do love a lot of '70s blaxploitation stuff, including Womack, Brown, Mayfield, Hayes, Willie Hutch, Marvin Gaye, and so on. But some of my favorite artists -- in any genres -- include The Clash, Aimee Mann, Bob Dylan, Elliott Smith, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Michael Penn, The Who, Wilco, My Bloody Valentine, Ramones, Alkaline Trio, The Replacements, John Coltrane, Built to Spill, Johnny Cash, Fiona Apple, Elvis Costello, Deftones, Pixies, The Cure, Weezer, The Smiths, Texas is the Reason, Pavement, Tool, The Velvet Underground, Simon & Garfunkel, The Beatles, Yo La Tengo... yeah, I think that's most of 'em.
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hip-Hop Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:
Aside from OutKast, I don't listen to much hip-hop these days.

Yeah, OutKast is the best. If you like OutKast, you may dig Cee-Lo or The Roots.
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that good hip-hop is my favorite kind of music, and bad hip-hop is the worst crap out there. By good, I mean hip-hop that utilizes the potential of the art form, which can be quite abstract: a layering of beats, noises, sounds, samples, forming new art out of already-made sound collages by synthesizing them together. And of course the rapidity of rapping can make the lyrics extremely powerful, and the creativity with which many hip-hop groups address relevant issues make any claims that it's a pointless, shallow art form indefensible. My favorites would be Blackalicious, OutKast, Jurassic 5, The Roots, Beastie Boys, Eric B & Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan, Atmosphere, The Streets (which is more like a fusion of hip-hop and garage rock), Deltron 3030, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Slick Rick, Tribe Called Quest, Common, Doug Fresh, Soul Position, Big Daddy Kane and Roosevelt Franklin. My least favorites would be the sort of gangster machismo that gives hip-hop a bad name, a lot of which happens to be commercial: 50 Cent, Jay-Z (sorry, Fred), Chingy, Ludacris, DMX, and the like.

There's a ton to analyze about hip-hop culture, especially when incorporating musical history: seeing the progression (from freedom songs mixing with folk to create blues and jazz and then rock and roll, and analyzing how technological advancements brought along the conception of hip-hop, is fascinating).
Fred C. Dobbs
Director

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt header wrote:
I've always thought that good hip-hop is my favorite kind of music, and bad hip-hop is the worst crap out there. By good, I mean hip-hop that utilizes the potential of the art form, which can be quite abstract: a layering of beats, noises, sounds, samples, forming new art out of already-made sound collages by synthesizing them together. And of course the rapidity of rapping can make the lyrics extremely powerful, and the creativity with which many hip-hop groups address relevant issues make any claims that it's a pointless, shallow art form indefensible. My favorites would be Blackalicious, OutKast, Jurassic 5, The Roots, Beastie Boys, Eric B & Rakim, Wu-Tang Clan, Atmosphere, The Streets (which is more like a fusion of hip-hop and garage rock), Deltron 3030, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Slick Rick, Tribe Called Quest, Common, Doug Fresh, Soul Position, Big Daddy Kane and Roosevelt Franklin. My least favorites would be the sort of gangster machismo that gives hip-hop a bad name, a lot of which happens to be commercial: 50 Cent, Jay-Z (sorry, Fred), Chingy, Ludacris, DMX, and the like.

There's a ton to analyze about hip-hop culture, especially when incorporating musical history: seeing the progression (from freedom songs mixing with folk to create blues and jazz and then rock and roll, and analyzing how technological advancements brought along the conception of hip-hop, is fascinating).

No offense taken, god bless the individual opinion! Wink

Although I do admit I like Jay-Z (Well, his last four albums atleast) I really can't stand 50 Cent, G-Unit, Lil' John and the Eastside Boys, Chingy, Ludacris, 2 Pac, Snoop Dogg, Nelly, Diplomats, etc. *shrugs* Just not my thing...these guys give hip-hop a bad name, in my opinion.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a hip-hop fan--most of it just doesn't speak to me--but like Matt I find its history and evolution fascinating, and I do like a few of the artists already listed: OutKast, The Roots, Wyclef Jean, Blackalicious, Del the Funkee Homosapien, sometimes even a little Eminem and Beastie Boys. (I liked the Beastie Boys a lot more when I was in junior high, I must confess!) And I'm a big fan of The Streets.

I agree with Matt that the "gangster machismo" thing is lowest-common-denominator stuff. I can't stand it.

Eric
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 03.16.2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also dig some old-school hip-hop, especially Public Enemy (Chuck D is the man).

But, yeah, most of today's mainstream hip-hop is a joke. I'll have to check out some of the artists mentioned favorably in this thread, since you folks obviously have good taste.

Smile
stefanieduckwitz
Director

PostPosted: 03.17.2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all kinds of music.. there isn't really anything that I have a problem with, but sometimes country is like... blah. (they all sound the same)... but I like hip-hop
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 03.17.2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I liked the Beastie Boys a lot more when I was in junior high, I must confess!

Same here -- except I was in high school -- but it's still fun to be taken by surprise by something like "Paul Revere," "No Sleep Till Brooklyn," or "Sabatoge" (my all-time favorite music video) on the radio or at a party.

-David Cronenberg
GimmickAccount
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 03.17.2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE hip-hop. It is by far my favorite type of music, and I like both old-school and modern. mainstream artists.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Random Insanity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1