Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Both Versions of Exorcist Prequel to be released on DVD!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 04.14.2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Both Versions of Exorcist Prequel to be released on DVD! Reply with quote

This is great news:

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,13897,00.html

I'm just glad that we'll (probably) get to see Schrader's version now.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 04.14.2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleased when Schrader was hired--he is one of our most fascinating directors, after all--but not surprised to hear the studio was dissatisfied with his take. It's a relief of sorts to learn that we'll be able to see his version, and not just for curiosity's sake: I had feared we would be denied access to a genuinely artistic vision. I am indeed curious, though, to compare Schrader to Harlin. What an interesting prospect for film students and teachers! The ability to break down an entire production as envisioned by two entirely different artists will be an invaluable experience. Has there ever been another such opportunity?

Eric
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 04.14.2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beltmann wrote:
I am indeed curious, though, to compare Schrader to Harlin. What an interesting prospect for film students and teachers! The ability to break down an entire production as envisioned by two entirely different artists will be an invaluable experience. Has there ever been another such opportunity?

But would you say the version directed by Harlin is Harlin's "envisioning," or simply Harlin carrying out pretty much what the studio wants? It seems to me that Schrader carried out his personal vision with his film, but Harlin simply made the film the studio told him to. With Harlin coming in under those circumstances, I don't think he'd be eager to take any artistic risks that might upset the studio. For Schrader, it was his personal vision, but for Harlin I don't think it was much more than a filmmaker-for-hire gig. Of course, I could be wrong. And I do think it will be interesting to compare the two versions -- one, an auteur's vision; the other, a studio's product.
beltmann
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 04.14.2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I meant. Regardless of whether the second version belongs primarily to Harlin or primarily to the studio, we're still left with two distinct imaginings that can be fruitfully compared and contrasted. I suppose we must assume that Harlin is primarily a director-for-hire in this case, but--and I know this is anathema to some film students--he is a director of considerable skill and vision. He's a more promising choice than, say, Paul W. S. Anderson or Rob Schmidt.

Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1