Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I the only one who dislikes "Welcome to the Dollhous

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkazoo
Grip

PostPosted: 05.29.2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Am I the only one who dislikes "Welcome to the Dollhous Reply with quote

Every single online review I read can't sing the praises enough for Todd Solondz's (I don't care if I spelled that wrong) masterwork of WONDERFUL BLACK COMEDY (emphasis added). Don't get me wrong. This is not a bad movie. I just fail to see ANY comedy at all. If by "black comedy" you mean "mean-spiritedness", we could talk then. This is not a flick told from the loser's perspective, but rather the high school bully who decides to trot out the victims once again. If someone can show me any examples of ACTUAL comedy in this movie, present it.

It hurts us more to see him die,

Than it does him to do it."

-Crispin Hellion Glover
matt header
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 05.31.2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen it, but I did enjoyed Solondz's Storytelling, a film all the more interesting because it's about how the art of telling stories invariably inflicts the characters involved. Any mean-spiritidness that movie had was buoyed by sly, absurdist humor, although I have no idea if Welcome to the Dollhouse is as easy to take.
HoRRoRFaN
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 07.22.2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disliked it. I liked HAPPINESS a lot, though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1