Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slant Magazine's Best of 2005

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 12.13.2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Slant Magazine's Best of 2005 Reply with quote

Slant Magazine's 2005: Year in Film by Ed Gonzalez and Nick Schager.

I usually find Slant's lists more interesting than most, and this year is no exception. I've been eager to see Kairo, Wolf Creek, and The New World, and their presence on both lists has me even more excited. Of those listed that I've seen, only Mysterious Skin is a shoe-in my own 10-best list*, but A History of Violence and Nobody Knows also have a pretty good shot.

*You know, if I actually get around to finishing my best-of piece this year...
Jordanio
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 12.14.2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Slant Magazine's Best of 2005 Reply with quote

Michael B. Scrutchin wrote:

*You know, if I actually get around to finishing my best-of piece this year...

That's a mighty-big task. = P

- jordan.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 12.26.2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slant Magazine wrote:
While such liberal-minded films dominated the headlines, religious conservatism also exerted an amplified multiplex presence [...] via the covert message of [...] Aeon Flux.

I'm not sure if Aeon Flux's submerged anti-science and technophobic sentiment is specifically religiously conservative (liberals tend to be just as paranoid, although the specifics of their fretfulness differ), but I can say I was disappointed in the script?s tiresome commitment to what might be termed ?traditional procreation? and the value it places on the stagnation of humanity as a species. Such absolutes are completely antithetical to Peter Chung?s animated series, which never took sides between the ostensible good and bad guys and dared to tread dangerous philosophical ground.

Amusingly, in Schager's review of the movie, he notes that the most "distasteful facet" of Flux is the "sight of an African-American warrior (Sophie Okonedo) with hands for feet, a distasteful vision of the archaic blacks-as-monkeys stereotype that truly takes the repugnant cake;" a connection, ironically, that only a ultra-PC liberal would make.

-David Cronenberg
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1