Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dam Short Film Festival

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkeypox
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 02.15.2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Dam Short Film Festival Reply with quote

One of the best festivals I've ever been to, and that's something considering it's only in its second year.

I could go on and on, and, in fact, did, but the system had logged me out by the time I had written my novella, and I forgot to copy it. Nothing but the best to say.

Best of the Fest, IMO, in no particular order and not counting Robots are Blue):

Apartment 206 - 30 minutes long and engaging the entire time. Easily ranks for me among the top 10 festival shorts I've ever seen. Directed by Gregory Zymet. http://www.apartment206.com/

Rent-a-Person - The musical story of a lonely restroom attendant's rise and fall. Won Best Comedy and the Audience Award at the festival. Directed by Kurt Kuenne.

Bartholomew's Song - From San Diego, an intriguing and subtle film that illuminates the red-green-red-green vibration between cold technology and human warmth. Almost entirely devoid of dialogue, it's a simple, smart film. By Lowell Frank and Destin Cretton.

The Walking Ink - The most DIFFERENT and quotable film in the festival. It's a black-and-white technical marvel (using mostly in-camera effects) wherein a lowdown mechanic is commissioned to fix the auto of a surly Bettie Page and a permanent shadow, eats a pepper genetically engineered for space travel, and gains superhuman powers. Directed by Las Vegas' own Thomas Barndt.

I Killed Zoe Day - Directed by Powell Weaver, a dark, clever, well-written film. Two buddies attempt to piece together the disturbing events of the night before through the drunken haze of the morning after.

Better Masque - Also out of Las Vegas, written by and starring Evan Nix, directed by Roger Erik Tinch. Does a good job making the inviting and glowing Vegas lonely, and a lonely man's struggles with guilt glowing and inviting.

The Beast of Berm-tech Industries - A well-written piece by the Ronalds' Brothers of Phoenix, Arizona. Runner-up for the Audience Award.

Imaginary Friend - Claire Thomas is a heck of a cook. A student film with child actors in a mockumentary style is like the Day After Tomorrow recipe for filmic disaster, but there's absolutely no evidence of it in here. Paul, a young girl's imaginary friend, details for us the existential struggles he faces. It's hard to have a child be your voice, the adult voice, in a film and have it work. Not that people don't try. Kudos to the young talent on display here, including the filmmaker. A beautiful and brilliant film.

An Appetite for Bernard Brady - Chris Mangano's dark and dangerous tale of a lonely man finding himself... as a willing cannibal "victim." Mangano deftly wields symbolism, achieving a creepy atmosphere with little to no gore.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1