Flipside Movie Emporium Forum Index Flipside Movie Emporium
Discussion Forums Locked & Archived for Browsing

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exorcist IV
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juhsstin
Camera Operator

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Exorcist IV Reply with quote

how does it look to you guys Question
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll lead a boycott until we can see Schrader's version. Very Happy

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a previous thread:

https://www.flipsidearchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php-t=409.html

I've seen the trailer, but it doesn't do much for me one way or the other. I was really interested in Paul Schrader's film, but nothing has intrigued me about the new one. For those who don't know, writer-director Paul Schrader had completely finished Exorcist: The Beginning, but it wasn't what the studio, Morgan Creek, had in mind. Schrader's film, from what I've read, was more psychological drama than horror, and the studio thought it too arty and not scary enough to attract general audiences. So the studio scrapped Schrader's version, hired a new director (Renny Harlin) to re-shoot the entire film with a brand-new screenplay and a different cast (although a few actors are in both films). As discussed in the thread linked above, it's rumored that both films will be made available on DVD. I might just wait for the DVD release, when I can see both films side by side.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailers are eh so far, and the idea just kind of makes me shrug. What I'm hoping for is that the original, un-studio-muffed-up cut of Exorcist III will finally get released on DVD.

-David Cronenberg
HoRRoRFaN
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone read the article in the Fangoria magazine? Paul Schrader's version sounds like it'd be awesome, more of a pyschological thriller than a creature future. Hopefully, when it is released on DVD, we have a chance to see both versions...
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." -Stanley Kubrick
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoRRoRFaN wrote:
Did anyone read the article in the Fangoria magazine?

Yes. Interesting stuff. I'm actually more interested in the controversy than either of the movies (although it will be fascinating to compare Schrader and Harlin's), and I'm hoping some sort of dissemination of it will turn up, as per Criterion's in-depth 3 disc set of Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

-David Cronenberg
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidently, here are some links regarding Schrader's version, if anyone's interested:

Here, Caleb Carr makes an ass out of himself, and here are two reviews of the novelization based on the script Schrader filmed.

-David Cronenberg
Michael Scrutchin
Studio President

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb Carr disses Schrader, Scorsese, Sofia Coppola, and "artsy pretention"! From the interview:

Quote:
...as movies lose the Frankenheimers of the world and are increasingly dominated by the Schraders, the Scorceses and younger versions of artsy pretention like Sofia Coppola (People actually take this woman seriously?!?), we see the slow (or not so slow) dissapearance of the film for grown-ups. The best work in Hollywood is being done in either children's movies or genre stuff, because drama has been taken over completely by film school geeks posing at intellectuals.

What a pretentious jerk, man.

Of course, his comments about Schrader (he was only doing it for the paycheck, to re-enter the mainstream) might have some truth to them. Guess we'll never really know. I'd really be eager to see an in-depth, behind-the-scenes documentary on this whole mess. It sounds like there's a great story behind all of this.
Danny Baldwin
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.05.2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is true irony in his statements, because the trailer looks like something along the lines of a sophisticate version of say, Freddy Vs. Jason? How is that a serious movie for adults?

View My Reviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HoRRoRFaN
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 08.06.2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny Baldwin wrote:
How is that a serious movie for adults?

That's why it disappointed me so much when I heard that the studio didn't want to go with Schrader's film. It isn't surprising, though. To begin with, I didn't really want to see a prequel to THE EXORIST, but when I heard how Schrader was filming it, as a serious drama rather than a monster movie, I thought it'd be cool. I haven't seen either of the two of course, and Harlin's version make for an entertaining movie, but I'd love to see a thoughtful take that goes along fine with the original.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." -Stanley Kubrick
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.23.2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone watched Exorcist: The Beginning yet? I almost went Friday, but, thankfully -- and amazingly -- our theater brought us Open Water too, which I chose to attend instead. No regrets on that decision.

-David Cronenberg
frostiang
Grip

PostPosted: 08.25.2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested because I liked the first movie and the two sequels a lot. I am one of the few people who actually did enjoy the second and the third. I hope that this next one proves to be just as horrifying.
the night watchman
Studio Exec

PostPosted: 08.25.2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Exorcist III is an underrated movie, if, admittedly, flawed. In fact, I prefer it to the first.

-David Cronenberg
HoRRoRFaN
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 08.25.2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the night watchman wrote:
I think Exorcist III is an underrated movie, if, admittedly, flawed. In fact, I prefer it to the first.

Much to my surprise, EXORCIST III scared the shit out of me... I almost prefer it over the first.
mfritschel
Cinematographer

PostPosted: 03.02.2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever hear what happened to with the releasing of the Schrader version of this film? I see that that the theatrical version is now out on DVD, but I thought they were considering releasing the other one as well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    Flipside Movie Emporium Forum -> Movie Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2